• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Iron sights at 200 yds.

ms6852

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2008
San Antonio Texas
Took out a 1947 Remington 513T and a 1956 52C with redfield sights to the range. I hate to say that I will no longer be shooting iron sights any more at 200. My eyes just make it impossible.
Anyway, beautiful cool day of 83 degrees winds at 5 to 7 mph. I am using winchester subsonics. I shot 3 groups of 5 with the 52C and chased the wind all over my target. Than the wind died down completely and did pretty good. The Second target only has 6 shots. Thats the Remington 513T by this time I was having a difficult time focusing and the wind picked up. I'm glad I purchased the Ken Vianni mounts for both rifles. Gotta go shopping for scopes now.

IMHO, for 200 yards and iron sights, that is not bad. I took my Savage MKII FVT with the peep sights it came with, out to 200 yards a few years ago to see if I could match my grand-dad's shooting with iron sights that he did back in 1929 (when 200 yards was common with iron) and I really enjoyed it. More then shooting 200 with my scoped version of the MKII FVT. I used the 300 yard Palma Practice target with 13" black. By the way, I did score a 178 of 200 (20 shots), while grandpa shot a 173 of 200 (20 shots) on the small bore decimal (which I believe was the A-21 target).

Of course I'm sure I had better ammo then he was using in 1929. 200 yards with iron sights gave me a lot of enjoyment that day.

It is a lot of fun. I normally have to put that 3" red center so that I can see it. I may try a larger center. This color/contrast combination works best, but my options slowly diminishing and may have to use a scope. People were surprised that I was shooting 200 yds with a 22lr. It never seizes to amaze me how many shooters underestimate this caliber.

Taking the .22lr out to 200 yards does seem to surprise many folks. I think it also creates quite a bit of interest in doing it as well. By all means, scope that rifle and enjoy the long range rimfire sport. We know it's a lot of fun!