• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is .17 HMR more accurate than .22 LR?

ERdept

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2008
Orange County, Kali.
I've been reading on different sites, when they had rimfire matches,.22 was the only thing out there.

Then with the advent of a totally new bullet design and with it's ballistics differences, the .17 HMR was out performing the .22.

With some new records being broken at clubs that were unreachable before.

I've also read that because it was so much better and had a much less loopy trajectory, that some clubs are considering having seperate .17 and .22 matches.

<span style="font-weight: bold">QUESTION:</span>

In your experiences and according to what you know and have read, do you feel that the .17 HMR is a more inherently accurate round than the .22?

OH, yeah, I'm just talking about accuracy. Not which is better for game or tree rats, etc.

Re: Is .17 HMR more accurate than .22 LR?

I think that would probably hold true at 100 yards for most rifles, probably less of an issue at 50 yards. I do know that volquartsen was guaranteeing 3/8" groups at 100 yards with their 17hmr guns, 1/2" with 22 mag, their 22lr guarantee is at 50yds.

17 HMR also has about a 35% less wind drift at 100 yards (3.8" -vs- 5.9") that alone would be a huge advantage in outdoor conditions.

I understand the 17 may be more accurate at distance but I;m not for it in matches against .22s. Whats part of the beauty of the rimfire matches is if you are a new guy or bucks down you could bring any .22 and a box of ammo and be in the game. The .17s open up a new can of worms into the mix. For the shoet range type tactical matches some of us are interested in I don't see a problem mixing 17s and .22s unless steel plate target penetration is a problem

I own a Savage in each and I'd say that the HMR is just a bit more accurate. That's just my personal experience though.

heck its not really a fair comparison, when i was shoppin for a new rimfire 17hmr ammo was rather expensive. i bought a cheapo marlin hm2 and it shoots as good as any 22 i have owned. ammo was available then from natchez cheap. i gave up on 22 because i couldnt find reasonably priced consistent ammo. average stuff that was reasonably accurate years ago always had squibs and crap lately. i dunno, been happy w the hm2

I think the 17 is more accurate due to the bullet design.

Apples and oranges, which one taste good and which one do you like...............Both.....I own both. For 50 yards the 22LR is perfect with the right rifle.......For 120 yards and less the 17HMR is hard to beat...... They are both awesome calibers.. Pick the distance you are going to shoot and get the best weapon for the job.....You don't have to spend a fortune to get either one.. My favorite 22LR is the CZ 452 16" threaded barrel for about $350 and my favorite 17HMR is the Savage 20" stainless varmit barrel with the accutrigger for about $250... Have fun...........SmokeRolls

Glenn Dubis, former olympic shooter, barreled up a prone rifle for the 17 mach 2 and shot it side-side with his smallbore prone rifle. I do not know what the results of his testing were. Next time I run across him I'll ask him.

Last I heard he moved to Trinidad (CO). I'll check up and see if I can contact him.

I believe that the 17hmr is inherently more accurate than the 22lr. I don't have much to base that belief on except that you can walk into a Wal-mart and buy a sub-moa gun over the counter for $200 - $300. The 22lr has been around a long long time and there are many customized parts available for variations of that round. Right now, there really are not a lot of parts available for the 17hmr YET.

I had to search to find a specialty maker for a Picatinny rail for my Marlin 917. There are a few around who make stocks for 17hmr's, but there really aren't that many available and when it comes to synthetic stocks, there are barely any available at all. I believe that this will change over time and we will see what the caliber is really capable of.

A lot of people think that the 17hmr is a flash-in-the-pan. That it is the latest rimfire fad and it is getting its 15 minutes and will go away. I don't think so. I think the 17hmr is here to stay because of its inherent accuracy. Not the 17r, not the 17-mach 2, but the 17hmr.

Could be. It may be hurt by the fact that times are hard right now and ammo for it is $12-15 a box. The same thing has essentially kept the 22mag from being a serious market player. If ammo was in the $5-6 range they would be a lot more popular.

I do know that locally here a couple stores have said their sales of 17hrm's have dropped way way off the last few months.

I think it will probalby stay around, but I don't think it's very impressive myself. Yeah it spanks a .22LR and it's king of the rimfires, it's got very little on the 22mag with a lot less hitting power. At $15 a box for premium ammo I think a lot of guys are just going to a .223/22-250/220 swift that has way more range, and isn't that much more to shoot and those are rounds that are capable to 400+ yards on any varmint.

IMHO, & just opinion, my .02
<span style="text-decoration: underline">
Something like this</span>
.22LR w/ Match Ammo = .308Win
-or-
.17HMR = .260Rem, .243

IMO: Both are accurate at 50yds but as the distance gets further one has an advantage over the other: BC/Dope. My Point is, Still up to the shooter. Like comparing the three center fire cartridges above: .243/.260/.308. Each caliber has its ups/downs, proper apps. Just depends what you want it for.

Have a great one,
F.T.K.

At 50 yards with my Anschuts and Wolf Target the 22RF is hard to beat for the price.I paid $3 something a box of 50 a little over a year ago.It's common to have em all touching when shooting 5 shot groups.

The only 17hmr I've owned,a Ruger77/17,shot less accurately at 50 yards 3/4 inch groups with a couple different brands.I bought it primarily for shooting varmints at 100-200 yards and found that it lost alot of energy and blew in the wind a bunch at 150Y and farther.So at $15 a box thought it best to use a centerfire for such purposes.

So in my case the 22 was more accurate.Heck even my air files are more accurate than that 17hmr.I'd be using a centerfire for any other purpose.Hunting,accuracy,whatever.

Steve