• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

is $2,000 a good budget for a bolt gun?

YetterIsBetter

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2020
Middle Earth
I am looking for a bolt gun in 6.5 creedmoor with a durable 20" to 24" barrel. Is 2k a good budget? I don't want to spend any more and I don't want to buy used.

I don't care if I buy a cheaper gun and then spend the rest on upgrades. But ideally it be 2k and great out of the box.

The Savage 10 STEALTH EVOLUTION is what I am leaning towards but I've seen mixed reviews on it across a few forums.

Pic rail up top is ideal.

Last edited:
Hi,

Nobody here can really be of any assistance in your quest until you lay out some more details.

MAINLY....

1. What is the intended usage of the rifle?

Sincerely,
Theis

Shoot accurately (MOA or better), be durable. I am not looking for an uber-match gun.

Hi,

Nobody here can really be of any assistance in your quest until you lay out some more details.

MAINLY....

1. What is the intended usage of the rifle?

Sincerely,
Theis

Theis, you're no fun. We can tell him what rifle we would get if we were spending his budget today. This is fun. If he wanted us to know his intended use he would have told us.

Theis, you're no fun. We can tell him what rifle we would get if we were spending his budget today. This is fun. If he wanted us to know his intended use he would have told us.
Its snipershide. The intended purpose in the name right lol. Jk probably a range gun. But yeah intended range of said shooting should be mentioned.

Its snipershide. The intended purpose in the name right lol. Jk probably a range gun. But yeah intended range of said shooting should be mentioned.

Hi,

And yet we still have people talking about MOA scopes.......

NEXT, lol....

So we know what "results" the OP wants but still do not know what the intended usage is. That just may be an answer within itself, lol.

Still have no idea if he looking for BR use, field shooting use, square range use, light hunting use, distance hiking hunting use, etc etc

Sincerely,
Theis

$2000 gets you a semi-custom (aka REALLY nice gun). The above mentioned badrock, MPA, GA Preceision and ARC all make $2000 rifles--"Production Class PRS" aka Semi-Custom Gun with most of the bells and whistles.

At$1000 you can get a Bergara, Tikka, or Howa that will easily ring steel at 1000 yards and beyond. Threaded barrel, magazine, etc...
A Howa Barreled Action and KRG Bravo is about $800, if you can outshoot this setup from the get go, I'll pay for the rifle myself (offer not good in reality). This is the most bang for your buck range.

At $ 500 you can get a savage that will hit steel at 1000 yards. BUt don't be this guy. We make fun of this guy. Still works though.

I started with a savage.
Still have it but when I bought it cheaper alternatives were a lot more Limited than now.
Something like a bad rock or tikka is how I’d go now.

What is the difference between the black steel and the phosphatized.

Black Steel is just regular gun bluing. Phosphatized is just another name for Parkerizing metal finish. For your price range, I would go with the Tikka, you will be happy with it.

Looks like I am going with the Tikka. I like to look of the savage more but I think function is more important. Now I gotta figure out the barrel length, etc.

Pretty hard to go wrong with a Tikka TAC A1.
They are flying off the shelves, here in Western Australia.
You'll love the smooth action, and reliability.
Yes I am biased.
That's because I have never had a Tikka, or Sako, put me wrong.
My Tikka Super Varmint 6.5 shoots easily on par or better, but I like traditional stocks for my everyday bangstick.

Phillip Velayo did a budget build series using a Tikka CTR in 6.5 with a 20 inch barrel on YouTube. My self, I would do 22 inch, which is a good compromise between a 20 inch and 24 inch.

For $1500 you can get an Origin barreled action. Toss in another $500 for a trigger and a KRG bravo and you're probably better off than any factory offering.
This, actually ordered an Origin today to start a new long range hunting build

Last edited:
There’s Nothing wrong with a Tikka but you can have much better for $2k. The bighorn origin is good but I prefer the defiance tenacity. Both have prefit barrels available and countless options for stocks/chassis. Some guys are intimidated by the thought of building their own rifle so they buy off the rack. If that’s your situation buy a Tikka and use the savings on a decent stock and trigger. The only real difference then is tikka screwed the barrel on one or you screwed the barrel on. Just saying

Reactions: celltech
If I had 2k to spend on a rifle I would save another 500 and definitely consider one of the prs production class rifle options from a custom builder. I have the GAP PPR and I really like the offering from Deep South Tactical as well. These are great offerings for the money will have better resale value and guaranteed 3/8 moa accuracy. These are a great value.

22lr can be shot out past 1000 yards and at 49 cents per round its easier on the pocket than the 1.80 per round cost of most 6.5 140 gr creed moors rounds and is easier to find and get .

I have to agree that if I had $2K to spend I would rather roll my own. I love my Origin action with a TT trigger. MDT and Oryx are having their yearly sales right now and you might be able to pick up a cheap9er) chassis.

But yes, $2000 is a great budget to have...you can build a lot of rifle.

Last edited:
I also got the "what are you going to use it for" question and couldn't really answer. I wanted a rifle that could do everything and that is a tall order. You have lots of suggestions that people have made and all are good. There is a reason some of these rifles are mentioned over and over, just get one of them and then you will find out if that first one does everything you have time for or it will be a seed that turns into a rifle tree with all kinds of branches with triggers and stocks and mounts and rails and barrels and bipods and............

22lr can be shot out past 1000 yards and at 49 cents per round its easier on the pocket than the 1.80 per round cost of most 6.5 140 gr creed moors rounds and is easier to find and get .
If I wanted a BB gun. I'd just buy a BB gun. I want a real man's caliber. JK. I already have a ton of 6.5CM that isn't getting any use b/c my 6.5CM semi-auto sucks.

FWIW: *I'd* read up on lots and lots of rifles here; then I'd go to the For Sale Section and learn about what some of those are traded for and in what condition. The FS section here sees a high flow of better and high quality sticks and goodies, that are often low time, but regardless well taken care of.

Just me.

Bergara B14, Rem 5R Gen2. Savage Ba Stealth or Tikka T3 Varmint...
Possibilities are endless these days for rifles that will consistently outshoot the user.
My Ba Stealth isn't smooth as butter but it'll drive nails everyday.