• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is 2.5-10 too much scope for....

poison123

Gunny Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Jul 17, 2009
    US
    Hey guys do you think the 2.5-10 is too much scope for up close shooting in general rifle matches? Basically we have matches that go from 10ft out to 200 yards. Think its too much?

I've been looking at the NF version and have a pretty good deal lined up on one? Or should I look at their 1-4? Or does anyone have any opinions on the Horus Talon 1-4....or should I just wait it out for the 1-8's and hope they aren't going to rape us on price?

Re: Is 2.5-10 too much scope for....

Not at all. I have shot those distances with a 5-25. That's a good range. I'd actually say you could get away with a 3.5-15 if you wanted to.

No, a 2.5-10 is not too much. And what I think about Horus Vision, is unprintable, and hope is not a plan. Stick with NF.....

YMMV and IMHO

Thanks guys. I like the size of the 2.5-10 since its just about the same size as every other 1-4 on the market. Just wasn't sure if the low end power was going to be too much or not.

Our section (scout platoon) got a couple Horus scopes (just to try before our 2nd deployment)... one of them being a Talon.... needless to say it(matter of fact all of them) was less than impressive. I'm a true believer that a 10 power scope can handle anything from 100-1k (human size targets) but the extra 5-10x doesn't hurt.

For this range you may want to consider a red dot scope. I think AR for this range and I've been very happy with my IOR 1,5-6x on my LMT 223. 6x works fine for me at 200yds. Obviously you give up some FOV at <30 yds with the 2,5-10x scopes but gain resolution at 200yds.

precision shooting and red dot scopes @ 200yd might prove to be slightly disappointing. However, red dots are great for certain situations.

3-9x is pretty much a standard for hunting rifles at those ranges (I know a lot of people are firm believers in the 4x fixed for hunting too) as far as I know. Depends what you're doing at those ranges - plinking / hunting / benchrest / etc?

There's nothing wrong with more magnification if you ask me (unless you don't want to carry more weight around for that big glass). Maybe next time you're at the range you can ask some friends or kind strangers if you can look through some different magnifications to see what the real difference is at those ranges. Personally for paper punching I love a 20x at 200-300yd ranges.

Also, hot days = more heat mirages. Higher magnification is more susceptible to mirage. Just something to keep in mind. Location and weather definitely changes usable magnification. At 10x you're not going to have to deal with this very often.

A lot depends on your eyes and your glass, but I would think that a 1-4x would really do the job at those ranges as well. The NF 2.5-10 is a nice option, of course.

Why not a Premier V8? 1-8x and integrated auto-activated red-dot. OK price may be an issue. Cant wait to see one - I hope they have one at the IWA next week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys do you think the 2.5-10 is too much scope for up close shooting in general rifle matches? Basically we have matches that go from 10ft out to 200 yards. Think its too much?

I've been looking at the NF version and have a pretty good deal lined up on one? Or should I look at their 1-4? Or does anyone have any opinions on the Horus Talon 1-4....or should I just wait it out for the 1-8's and hope they aren't going to rape us on price? </div></div>

Are you talking about 3 gun type(run and gun)matches.If you are then just mount a Doctor optic type red dot sight to the side of your scope.Somebody makes special mounts for that application.Not sure who?

Steve

What kind of match is this exactly? Are you needing to shoot precisely at 200, or is this more of a "practical rifle" style thing where you just need to be able to hit a 12x12 steel plate at 200? You'll definitely be quicker with a secondary sight for up close shooting, though depending on the rules you may be limited in what kind of secondary sight your division will allow. I know that in many 3gun/multi-gun style matches, having a red dot as a secondary sight will put you in "open" division. Another option is to use a set of iron sights as a secondary sight. I'm running the JP Short Range sight on my rifle as a secondary set of irons, with a 3-9 Accupoint as my main optic. It all really comes down to what kind of match you're talking about specifically, and what the equipment rules are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys do you think the 2.5-10 is too much scope for up close shooting in general rifle matches? Basically we have matches that go from 10ft out to 200 yards. Think its too much?

I've been looking at the NF version and have a pretty good deal lined up on one? Or should I look at their 1-4? Or does anyone have any opinions on the Horus Talon 1-4....or should I just wait it out for the 1-8's and hope they aren't going to rape us on price? </div></div>

Are you talking about 3 gun type(run and gun)matches.If you are then just mount a Doctor optic type red dot sight to the side of your scope.Somebody makes special mounts for that application.Not sure who?

Steve </div></div>

This is the question. If run and gun with a few shots out to 300, a 1-4 is the ticket. Meopta, NF, USO, lots to choose from. FOV is very important in this game. A NF 2.5-10 fov @ 100 yd @ 2.5X is 44 ft, a Meopta 1-4 @ 1 power is 110ft. Works the same at longer distance and higher power. You can see the next target and not have to head bob to find it.
    If you are just punching paper off a bench or prone then your choices open up some.

For 10' to 200 Yds max 3-G type speed event a 1-4 (or 1.5x5) would serve you better. 2.5x on the low end is not "too" much of a handicap for CQB stuff, but field of view wins in spades up close when you are searching for targets.

You don't need much power for 200 (4x is plenty). Even an Aimpoint works if the 200 Yd targets are 10" gongs or larger and you have good eyesight.

We shoot one of our bi-monthly matches at ranges from ~150 to 450 Yards. I use a 2.5x10 NF in that event and have better times at 6x, and sometimes 8x. The other match is 90 Yds and under and I run a 1-4 (100% at 1x) on an AR and sometimes, for funzies, a red dot on a .308.

For me it would depend on target size. I would take a 3x9, or 2.5x10 over just about anything for shooting out to 200.

For any precision type shooting I feel really limited by a 4x, especially something with thick cross hairs. yes it works, but the better I can see it the more precise I can be. A lot will come to personal taste, some prefer lower power, some don't.