• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Is 20x fixed too much?

JEB405

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2005
Seattle, WA Area
I think the new Sightron SIII fixed scope is going to be the next scope for my 300 RUM build. From Sightron's reputation and the specs it sounds like a SS with better coatings.

What I am looking for is opinions on if a fixed 20x will cause too much mirage blurriness on year round shooting, and if a 16x is a better idea?

I know I never run my 12-42 Nightforce at 42x, but I can't tell you I know how far I usually dial down in the summer. I live in MI and the nearest place to shoot 1000 yards is in Northern IN, so it's not like I'm shooting in the desert.

I'd appreciate input from people with 20x fixed scopes on mirage problems.

JB

Re: Is 20x fixed too much?

For Tactical shooting I feel 20x is a little much but I know guys that run 20x and more and do well with them. You will see more mirage and that can be an issue. I have a NF 5.5-22x50mm that I run on one of my setups and it work well but most of the scopes are FFP 17x and under.

Mike @ CST

I would not be able to stand 20x fixed. I dont even like 10x. I just prefer variable.

I have problems, from time to time, with mirage. Even at 16-17X and have to dial down around 10-14x. I usually shoot at the highest power mirage will allow in warm temps.

I found 16X fixed was even too much for me. I prefer variable. I find myself at 8x usually at 100yards and only go up to 12x+ at about 300 yards.

You might be okay in Michigan, but in Oklahoma 20x is too much magnification during the summer. You wouldn't be able to see past the mirage clearly.

I wouldn't go past 16x fixed power.

I like magnification, but fixed 20X? In other than an application based rifle (my sillhouette guns are 24X fixed) I'd have to say yes, too much.

I think it depends on the distances involved. For distances of, say, 600yd and inward, I think 20X is a really good idea. With my 6-24X of very modest quality, I would have mirage issues at 1000yd, and tended to end up maxing out at around 18X. Is the difference between 18X and 20X a dealbreaker? I think not, and believe that dealing with mirage at that level can be a significantly positive learning experience. But it can also be a bit frustrating, so bear this in mind as well.

My approach to mirage is to treat it like rippling water, and to look <span style="font-style: italic">through</span> it in a similar manner. I know that's not especially illiminating but it works for me.

Greg

It all depends on what your looking to do.

I mostly target shoot around the 200-800 yard range and hate fixed powers all together.. But its all up to the shooter and his/her application of shooting they are looking to accomplish. Id suggest highly looking at a variable power all together..

But the 20x question.. That also all depends on the shooter as well... I along with many shooters think 20x is a tad too high.. But my friend uses his scope at 24x just about anytime he can even around 150 yards... I think its pointless to have that much power but he likes it and says he likes it..

For bench shooters the more power the better it seems.. But I'm not huge on bench shooting so I cant explain much on that.

But in my opinion fixed scope 10x is good.. In a variable power... Id say max power maybe 20x is good..

I had a SS 20x... for about 3 days. I traded it off for a 16x... MUCH better in my opinion!! I had a few 10x's as well. I liked the 10x's for hunting, but I really liked the 16x for target. I do WAY more targets that I actually get to hunt.

DK