• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Is 2800 too fast?

jakermeister

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2008
Cortez, CO
I just wanted to know if 2800 FPS is too fast for my 308 win. I have a stock 700P (26" barrel). I did some shooting today the temperature was about 45 degrees (F). It was pretty windy (15 to 20 MPH). My elevation is right around 5800 (SW COLORADO). I'm loading the 175 gr Berger VLD (hunting) with 43.0 grains of Varget. I'm using CCI 200 primers (couldn't find the Fed 210 but its about the same). I'm also .092" off the lands (accuracy node with the VLD in my rifle). But I did some shooting at 495 yards, 735 yards, & 859 yards and confirmed my velocity by shooting different distances (I don't have a chrony). Does this sound to fast? I don't see or feel any excess pressure signs (lapua brass). Should I stick with the load or bring it down? I'm just a little worried because i'm a bit high in velocity. I'm seeing other people right around 2600 to 2700.

Thanks,
Jake

PS I'm also pushing the shoulder back on my brass .003" from the chamber. I'm using the bullet flight app on my ipod touch for the info.

Re: Is 2800 too fast?

Hornady super-performance launches 178s at 2775 from a 26" tube at 700ft above sea level. My own loads hit 2700 with 44.6gr of Varget so your numbers don't give me a warm fuzzy about you hitting 2800fps even at your altitude. But that just me!

Edited: That's confirmed with my Chrono.

I shot different distances and matched my velocity (bullet flight) with my adjustments on my scope. I didn't quite understand your second post. I came up with about 2825 fps.

Do you have any other information about the weather today? Temp: 45, baro: ?, humidity: ?.

What B.C. were you using to calculate this?

Post all of your data: sight height, drop at various ranges, B.C., baro, humidity, etc and let's see what we can come up with.

I have serious doubts about 2800fps. If my only two choices were velocity being 2800 and scope clicks being off, I'd choose the latter. Luckily we have more options than that and shouldn't jump to any conclusions yet.

2800 is way too fast. Something is wrong with your inputs. Go to JBM Ballistics and enter all the rifle bullet and atmosheric data using the g7 bc for your bullet. Then manipulate your muzzle velocity until you get elevation adjustments that are relatively close to your hard dope. That'll give you a muzzle velocity that is in the ballpark. 2800 is not your mv. I'm running about 2700-2715 with 175 SMK 44gn Varget out of a 24" barrel. Got a budddy shooting the my identical load out of a factory 700 pss with a 26" barrel pushing 2750 +/-.

i didn't get the bor pressure. Its not very humid here either. I'm in a semi desert area. the ballistic coficient is .255 i think with the VLD. It might be my scope (falcon menace). But when I got out to 800+ yards i was very close to my target on my first shot. I kind of doubted i was near 2800 too on 43.0 grains of varget. I recently swapped scopes so maybe the turret values are wrong. As long as i'm hitting targets i'm ok with it LOL.

If that was an actual chrony'ed value and you weren't getting pressure signs, then more power to ya. But likely, as these guys are saying, there are other variables that haven't been set properly. I get 2725 fps out of 165 gr. Accubonds using Lapua brass and 45.5 grains of Varget and a 24" barrel. That's as hot as I can go. Well, and about all I can cram in anyway. 46 grains showed pressure signs. Theoretically, even with that lighter bullet and more powder, it might hit 2775 with a 26" barrel.

Yup, I went out and check a ballistic card I made using mils and that one was right. I'm using a falcon menace Mil reticle with MOA turrets. I some how managed to match the turrets up with a guestimated velocity (which is wrong but works with BULLETFLIGHT). My mil mil set up wouldn't focus so i had to send it in. I guess I'll keep the current scope on my AR since I don't mess with the turrets as much with it. By the way my other ballistic card was about 2675. I changed my primer since then and I thought it would have effected it more but it didn't.