• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is 300 Blackout/Whisper accurate?

MitchInOR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2008
Oregon, Willamette Valley
This is a round I have been contemplating for a few years now. It seems that this is made for AR-15 to run subsonic although it gets chambered in other platforms and ran at super sonic velocities. Searching a few forums I am not finding a lot of information on subsonic accuracy in an AR-15. Most accuracy claims I have found are with full power loads and/or bolt action rifles.

That said if you are running this in an AR-15 with subsonic heavies any claims on how your rifle shoots as far as moa and specs of your rig would be much appreciated.

Re: Is 300 Blackout/Whisper accurate?

Well, it seems the blackout round is becoming a favorite among alot of people including me. I have a friend that has just built a Noveske 300 Blackout rifle and it shoots very good with his reloads. I am actually impressed with it to say the least.

I should get more time behind my Whisper and Blackout barrels soon. So far no real idea on how accurate they are but MOA at least should be obtainable once I get loads figured out.

I have a 300 whisper and a 300/221 fireball. I have only shot subsonics 240 sierras and VV N110. Both shoot one hole at 50 yards. Group opens up to one inch + or minus a little at 100 yards. No little groups for me at distance. 300 whisper is in AR platform, 300/221 is in bolt form. Accuracy is the same in both. I think if the powder filled more of the case it might become more consistant.

Eddie

My short barrel upper will hold just under 1MOA out to 250 or so if I weigh every charge.

When throwing 10 gns or under of powder, being off just a little plays hell on your vertical. ES/SD is critical.

Now days I only load for accuracy with my bolt gun.

What kind of accuracy are you guys getting with bolt guns.
Do you have to lube your bores to get consistent velocities?

Its funny how 1 MOA used to be the gold standard, now everybody thinks every gun needs to be sub MOA.

My SI defense 16" barrel hold 1 MOA to 200 yds, I don't really care much about tiny groups as much as hitting my targets all the time, which it does with supersonic and subsonic ammo
Pretty happy with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dr. Phil that is good to hear. Are you using factory ammo or hand loads? </div></div>
Hand loads...

Fed 205M Primer
Converted 5.56 LC brass
(Primer pocket swaged, uniformed, & then flash hole debured)
10.8 grains of AA1680
220 SMK (No Crimp)
Forster 300 BLK "Ultra" die set.

Getting 1MOA or less from AAC 16" AR15 barrel and SSK 16" Win M70 both with subsonic 220SMK/1680 handloads.

As an added bonus, the AAC barrel cycles the subsonic loads with or without the can installed. Bolt gun is MUCH quieter of course.

With the right twist and load, very accurate.
Picture127.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silentbushmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the right twist and load, very accurate.
</div></div>

Take your crap somewhere else. 25 posts that are one sentence long in under an hour! How has this guy not been banned yet?

I assembled a 300/221 SBR upper using a 10.5" Model One barrel. I had to open the gas port to .086" to get my most accurate subsonic load to cycle.
8.8gr AA#9 is pushing the 220gr SMK's to 1050fps and is always MOA and better. I was amazed at the penetration I was getting, coming out the other side of 5" dry oak slabs, and all the way through 12" green alder log. I want something lighter that will expend more energy in a target & not overpenetrate.