• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IS 6MM AR THE SAME AS A 6X45?

M_16_4_REAL

RubiconJK
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2012
Seattle
have some interest in building an ultra accurate long range ar and I'm having some difficulty differentiating between the 6mm ar and the 6x45. I've found some literature that says they are the same and some that doesn't.

when i compared the cartridge blueprints they weren't the same but again some of the literature says they are the same. if anyone has any real substantiated info on the two id much appreciate it. please don't shoot from the hip and say someone told you their shooting buddy knows a guy that had one. I'm looking for some serious info. thanks for the help in advance.

Re: IS 6MM AR THE SAME AS A 6X45?

the 6x45 is a necked up 223/556 great for shooting light bullets with a decent velocity.
The 6mmAR is a very specialized and very different cartridge. It is a necked down 6.5 grendel and it shoots the heavier bullets much better. As far as getting one and all the info you would really need on the 6mmAR check this out. http://www.6mmar.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MK12 MOD0 SPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have some interest in building an ultra accurate long range ar and I'm having some difficulty differentiating between the 6mm ar and the 6x45. I've found some literature that says they are the same and some that doesn't.

when i compared the cartridge blueprints they weren't the same but again some of the literature says they are the same. if anyone has any real substantiated info on the two id much appreciate it. please don't shoot from the hip and say someone told you their shooting buddy knows a guy that had one. I'm looking for some serious info. thanks for the help in advance.</div></div>

I'd like to know which literature says they are the same. That way I know NEVER to read from there.... That being said, the extra velocity should be helpful in the 6mmAR at long ranges. 6x45 will be cheaper to load since brass can be sourced from .233/5.56 and has a lower powder charge.

If you like the 6mm in the ar 15 platform, take a look at the 6DTI and 6 WOA. Both are based off the 6.8 cartridge.

Yeah I shot off am email with some questions to 6mmar last night and im thinking of doing a 6mm ar upper with an 18" spr profile barrel so it can look identical to my other mk12 rifles. We'll see what they say.