• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is 7.62x39 a reloader caliber

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    I keep wanting to pick up an AK, but the import ammo ban has me cautious.
    I’ve got a stock pile of 556 brass, thousands of 55gr bullets and able to load range ammo for 16 cent a round.
    Using powder and primers bought in the good days of years ago.

Is x39 components reloadable on the same level at 556?

I’m guessing not, I hate the idea of a semi auto that I have to only buy factory ammo for. Gets costly, quick.

Reactions: TicTacTex
    There are components for x39.

Starline brass is the most common however even Lapua makes x39 brass (expensive though).

Bullet selection is where you'll see potential issues. AK barrels can slug out anywhere from 0.308 diameter to 0.312 (depending on manufacturer/region). 0.310-0.311 diameter is most common for European made x39 barrels. US made barrels - 0.308. Some of the older stuff (Russian for example) goes as high as 0.312. The variation is where trying to load for max precision becomes a problem unless you slug the barrel. Ever since 300blk, there has been significantly more bullet choices for x39 loading.

As for dies, Lee, Hornady, RCBS and I think Redding also makes them. Same problem with bore size though in regards to sizing dies. Check carefully before you buy them as some are designed for 308 diameter whereas some are for the 0.310-0.311

I keep wanting to pick up an AK, but the import ammo ban has me cautious.
    I’ve got a stock pile of 556 brass, thousands of 55gr bullets and able to load range ammo for 16 cent a round.
    Using powder and primers bought in the good days of years ago.

Is x39 components reloadable on the same level at 556?

I’m guessing not, I hate the idea of a semi auto that I have to only buy factory ammo for. Gets costly, quick.

....yes, components are readily available as are powders. Many of the powders for .223/556 & 300BLK can also be used w/7.62x39. Brass available from multiple USA manufacturers in small primer format as well as Lapua ($). Bullets available from multiple USA manufacturers. Dies available from multiple USA manufacturers. BLUF, the AK cartridge became "mainstream" years ago and reloading components followed suit.

Easy to reload. Back in the day you could also get tons IMI brass for x39 . 27.0 gr of AA1680, 123gr bullets, regular large rifle primers and your GTG.

I've loaded and shot .308 bullets in 7.62 (.311) barrels, and not noticed any issues, even velocity-wise through the chrono. CZ and US-barreled AK.

If people were to stop and think about it, in your case there's .0015" of gap between bullet diameter and groove diameter with 50K+ psi behind it.

It will expand and obturate.

Reactions: Darayavaus