• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is a 1-4x enough ?

Longbow_06

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2005
GA-USA
Hi Guys....

I'm picking up a 20inch fluted barrel AR, 1 in 8 twist rifle.

The longest shot I intend to make with this is 500 yards. All shots will probably be onto paper, with the odd Coyote thrown in on the off chance.

I'm thinking of picking up the new Vortex PST 1-4x for the rifle, but I'm concerned that there will not be enough magnification for the longer shots.

What do you guys think.....

Thanks....

Lee.

Re: Is a 1-4x enough ?

I like my 1-4's, but for paper at 500 I agree with the others, 2.5-10 NF or a USO 1.8-10.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At those distances steel yes paper no. </div></div>
I agree. I love my 1-4x but it has a place and shooting paper is not the purpose of my scope so I would agree with what the others posted and get something higher.

Get the upcoming Premier or S&B 1-8's. That will definitely be enough for both near and far.

Ya, what they said. You might get away with 8X at the top, but no less.

Personally I like to go big on magnification. That way I don't have to rely so much on spotter information. Also it gives better feedback if my position sucks.

From my experience with a 1-4x scope, I just found that 1x never really is like true 1x. Even on scopes like the Short Dot. Only thing that came close is that accupoint with the 30mm tube and green triangle. So, I'd always end up dialing up to 1.2 for short engagement distances. Otherwise, trying both eyes open on these 1x scopes would just look wonky. 1.2 was enough mag for my visual perception to toss away the image created by my left eye.

My 2.5-10 NXS is a rad scope. Perfect match for my 300 whisper carbine.

I run 3.5-15x50 NXS on my SPR's but they also have piggybacked Reddots. Kinda funny since I run a fixed 10x ST10 on my 5R. But that's more of a practical no frills build.
SPR_2nd.jpg

Wow, just plain wow.

Anyway, I used to shoot with an old co-worker of my wife. he ran a 6X scope and that worked well on 2MOA targets out to 600 yards.

I personally like the max side around 14X so I can play out to 1000 if so desired. Its the scope I use for F-Class out to 600.