• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is a 30cal Rock barrel "fast"?

Jicko

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2006
San Diego, CA
I m having my custom .308WIN rifle built. I want to get to 1k meters(yards) consistantly.

What length of barrell should i go with? 26"? 24"? 22"?

Some people told me that a "fast" 18" or 20" barrel will get me to 1k yds, and that BHA 175SMK will have MV in the range of 2650fps..... I would never expect something like this with my factory remmys...

I just want to know WHAT can i expect out of my Rock Creek 5R barrel...

Thanks in advance for any info.

Re: Is a 30cal Rock barrel "fast"?

You could do a 20-22" tight bore barrel, that will get you to 1K easy. Im still waiting on my first Rock barrel (7mm) to arrive so I have no first hand experiance with them, but all the reports say that they are second to none.

Since you live in Kalifornia a Suppressor is not an option, I would go with 22, or 24.

I had a stock .308 Rem 700VS 26" that shot just fine at 1000 yards with 175gr SMK +45gr of Varget.

I have a Rock 5R now and I agree with Cobra. 22-24" should be fine.

18"-22" Barlien Gladius spec... As stated in the other post on CG's.......

Just ask for a tight bore barrel..

I would recomend 24 or 26. I have a 25" rock that shoots 175 mks at 2725fps.Yes my rock seems to be a little faster than my other barrels.

My Bartlein 5R is 25". Just measured 2777fps about 15ft from muzzel today shooting 175 SMK, Varget 44.4gr, Lapua brass. Kinda surprising to me. But then a match grade barrel has a slick shiny bore and should be a bit faster than a factory barrel.

BTW, no pressure signs--primers not flattend, no ejector marks, no stiff bolt handle, etc.

The load I used for my R700 PSS w/ factory 26" barrel was 44.4 Varget with 175 SMK. The MV was right at 2600fps around 70 degrees. I fired this combo to 1000yds many times with very good success.

I now have a 20" Rock Creek 5R on it. I dropped 6" of barrel and lost 20fps. I simply bumped my load up to 44.5 and took it to the 1000yd line again, no problems.

I was pleasantly surprised as I thought I would lose 50-75fps.

CM.

A rock or any other manufacture in 20" will easily get to 1000 easy..

the question of a fast barrel or a slow barrel will only manifest itself when shooting at distance on paper with vertical dispersion ....all things being equal (ammo and conditions) two barrels from the same maker will print slightly different.....a fast barrel =tighter groups and less vertical....a barrel that is not will show a larger vertical spread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">18"-22" Barlien Gladius spec... As stated in the other post on CG's....... Just ask for a tight bore barrel.. </div></div>

Just need to know where the heck to get that barrel.... care to give me an URL??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Bartlein 5R is 25". Just measured 2777fps about 15ft from muzzel today shooting 175 SMK, Varget 44.4gr, Lapua brass. Kinda surprising to me. But then a match grade barrel has a slick shiny bore and should be a bit faster than a factory barrel.</div></div>

Is your Bartlein 5R a .30cal or a .30cal-tight bore?

Jicko, call up Rock or Bartlien and ask for a tight bore barrel, its that simple.

I have a 26" Bartlein 5R 1-11" on one of my Surgeon .308s that seems to shoot 75 to 100 fps faster than my other .308s in the same length. Can get a bit over 3000 fps with 155 scenars without chewing up the brass.

None that I can think of. With proper load workup I dont see why a 20-22" barrel cant perform like a 24-26"

lol, I keep my secrets close mate.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jicko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your Bartlein 5R a .30cal or a .30cal-tight bore?
</div></div>

As far as I know it's just a regular 0.308 5R. I didn't order a tight bore. My gunsmith already had the barrel in stock and asked if I would be OK using it. Again, he didn't specifically tell me it was a "tight bore", and I'm too much of a noob to have known to ask. I get about 2700fps with FGMM 175 SMK out of it as well, just for another reference. I'm very pleased with it.

All this talk about "fast" barrels got me thinking... How accurate do you think your chrony is??

I had one that consistently read 85-100 fps faster than actual.

Shooting a 308 I generally go with a Rock Creek or Bartlein as both are very fast and in no way can be compared to a factory offering.

I would never recommend going over 24" with a 308 unless you are shooting a dedicated F Class stick, then you may benefit from the extra gains, modest as they are, but then again, you never have to worry about carrying it very far.

For a tactical stick, competition or otherwise, 22" is the perfect compromise, for the small minded who must fall back on the myths and legends of past, they usually go longer, but a good barrel finished at 22' is without compromise even to 1000 yards.

In the last 2 years I haven't ordered a barrel longer than 20" in 308, (Except one GAP had ready to go with a USMC Schneider on it, and even that I had them cut back to 24" from the original 26" before getting it) .

Manufacturing techniques, the machines, the metal is so much better than in the past, it's easy to get a fast barrel, and the handling of a shorter rifle cannot be over stated. I know some people are getting hit when carrying the full size 52" rifle cases on planes. Some Airlines are charging a $100 or more to carry them, and I know when I carry my shorter cases I dont' get a second look. Why carry 52" case around when you can carry 42".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Insert Name Here</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All this talk about "fast" barrels got me thinking... How accurate do you think your chrony is??

I had one that consistently read 85-100 fps faster than actual. </div></div>

How do you know that? I mean if it's fast or slow you would still need to know exactly how fast your round is, and how do you know that to compare it to the chrono? It also depends on how close, or far, the chrono is from the muzzle.

Hi LL,

Thanks for your answer! I already have a regular Rock barrel blank ready for a build (the Tac30 just came in).... but I am considering whether to wait for a Bartlein "tight bore" barrel or not since I will be putting significant $$ into the build, so I was thinking to do it right if it is benefitical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know some people are getting hit when carrying the full size 52" rifle cases on planes. Some Airlines are charging a $100 or more to carry them, and I know when I carry my shorter cases I dont' get a second look. Why carry 52" case around when you can carry 42". </div></div>

That's where my AICS 2.0 folding stock comes in....
laugh.gif

Even with a 26" barrel, it can goes nicely in a 42" case....

(yeah.... it is a heavy rig.... *sigh*)

26" is a waste of steel... but do whatever makes you happy. One day you'll consider trying a tactical competition and then you'll understand. But as long as people make tactical rifles that long so they can carry it from the car to the firing line and back, people will continue to think they need long barrels.

I don't know if my chrony is accurate or not. I have questioned its reliability, given some wierd numbers it has produced (see this link). However, I plugged the numbers into Sierra IS6 last night to produce a drop chart and compared my numbers with the data from my data/log book, and it all adds up. Under current atm conditions/temp/baro/etc, ave MV of 2760 fps would put me at about 33MOA elevation at 1000yd. This is exactly what I was doing to get there. Wind drift also adds up. I played around a bit with it changing the MV to see what elev. I would need to get to 1K and lower numbers just don't add up. So, I think my chrono is at least in the ballpark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">26" is a waste of steel... but do whatever makes you happy. One day you'll consider trying a tactical competition and then you'll understand. But as long as people make tactical rifles that long so they can carry it from the car to the firing line and back, people will continue to think they need long barrels. </div></div>

Actually after seeing your post, and this is yet another reason why I want a "fast" barrel, is that I am reconsidering coming down in length.... 22" or 24"... and I would like to be able to get to 1000meter consistantly (supersonic)... w/ 175SMK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jicko</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">26" is a waste of steel... but do whatever makes you happy. One day you'll consider trying a tactical competition and then you'll understand. But as long as people make tactical rifles that long so they can carry it from the car to the firing line and back, people will continue to think they need long barrels. </div></div>

Actually after seeing your post, and this is yet another reason why I want a "fast" barrel, is that I am reconsidering coming down in length.... 22" or 24"... and I would like to be able to get to 1000meter consistantly (supersonic)... w/ 175SMK</div></div>

Dude, watch my video with an 18.5". if that isn't consistent I don't know what is... other than the last shot, which was more or an after thought, the hits at 1000 yards at Sea Level are unedited.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/15qj032UJ1I"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/15qj032UJ1I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude, watch my video with an 18.5". if that isn't consistent I don't know what is... other than the last shot, which was more or an after thought, the hits at 1000 yards at Sea Level are unedited.</div></div>

Nice shooting, and nice setup.... (in ur backyard? envy!!)

What's MV do you get from your 18.5"?
And what MV do you get from your 18.5" + suppressor? (is there any difference?)

Lastly, what's your load, mind if I ask?

I would loved to go as short as possible on my rifle, but I hate to have it cut and all the work done (my regular Rock .30cal barrel), and then at the end, won't be able to get enough juice out of it to get out there.

I don't load and only shoot factory... that day it was Cor Bon 175gr Match, I get about 2575fps without the can, about 2595fps with the can and on this day was running about 2605fps with that batch of Cor Bon I was testing for Pete.

Trust me the Rock will get out there, you guys act like you need 2700+... you don't. Rifles Only is at Sea Level, the tower is 78ft above sea level, pretty much the worst possible conditions to shoot 1000 yards in the country.

hell, even my 20" Rock barreled AR10 does 1000 yards with no problem. It's not an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know if my chrony is accurate or not. I have questioned its reliability, given some wierd numbers it has produced (see this link). However, I plugged the numbers into Sierra IS6 last night to produce a drop chart and compared my numbers with the data from my data/log book, and it all adds up. Under current atm conditions/temp/baro/etc, ave MV of 2760 fps would put me at about 33MOA elevation at 1000yd. This is exactly what I was doing to get there. Wind drift also adds up. I played around a bit with it changing the MV to see what elev. I would need to get to 1K and lower numbers just don't add up. So, I think my chrono is at least in the ballpark. </div></div>

Sounds like your chrono is the issue. Given that basing velocity on ballistic tables and bullet drop is not exact either. There are numerous variables that can affect that as well.

Use a factory rifle and a custom rifle, shoot factory ammo over the same chrono in both and see what you get.

With all that custom barrel will almost always be faster based on bore diameter, chamber dimensions, and they fact the quality control of the custom barrels are better. Just as LL said you don’t need 26” in a custom to get to 1000. 22” is a good compromise. 18 or 20 are good too but you need to take into consideration more recoil and blast and some shooters just don’t like it and accuracy can suffer based on shooter induced issues.