• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is a 5/32 drill bit okay for 10-32 x 3/16 knurled set screws?

URGILOVERR

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2023
USA
I have an Slr jig that can’t fit anything bigger than a 5/32 drill bit is this okay for the BCM gas block that uses 10-32 x 3/16 knurled set screws?

I have an Slr jig that can’t fit anything bigger than a 5/32 drill bit is this okay for the BCM gas block that uses 10-32 x 3/16 knurled set screws?
Might be good to watch the video on slr site.

Far as I can tell it is a dimpling jig. Shallow. As in just the pointy part of the drill. End result should look like this. No actual hole. No verticle sides to the dimple.
Proper_Spot_Angle_Figure1-e1489010311911.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
5/32 drill bit size is the tightest tolerance size for 10-32. If you have a heavily coated fastener, a Friday fastener......... it may get tight. If you have a cheap fastener it may snap. #21 isn't hard to find out in town. I'd use 5/32 for aerospace level stuff with aerospace level fasteners if directed by spec. I'm not sure I'd trust a non sourced fastener for this.