• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is a buffer needed for a HK 91?

bdcmh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2011
Ohio
I picked up a stock that did not have the buffer. Is it needed or is it just nice to have or is it only for hot rounds?

Thanks

Re: Is a buffer needed for a HK 91?

some say the recoil on the 91's are brutal, I suggest you shoot it and make your decision afterwards.

You need the buffer. Shooting without one will damage the rear plate in the stock assembly as well as force the rollers out of battery when the bolt smacks the back plate causing damage to your receiver. 5872

You might need to visit hkparts ASAP before you hurt yourself or damage your rifle.

measure the gap betwen bolt and carrier on a closed bolt (through magwell) it should be between .008 and .018 thousands, if more than that your rifle will kick like a mule and you'll need newer rollers, properly gaped bolt HK91 do not kick hard at all. buffer isn't a necessity.

Thanks guys, sounds like I will order a buffer.

I will also check the gap. Thanks for the specs attherange.

Yes you need a buffer, shoot me an IM and I will send you one, I have a few of them.