• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is a Howa a good first rig?

lghunt1

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2010
California
I was wondering if anyone had info on the Howa for a first rig? Or would a remy or the savage be a better choice to start off? Thanks for any info

Re: Is a Howa a good first rig?

if you plan on keeping it and adding to it or building it up... remington and savage are much better choices, more parts are available..... stocks triggers ect....

The Howa action can be made into a firstclass rig, but the aftermarket support, while available, isn't anywhere near the Remington M700. Resale value will be affected by this.

Yeh it'l get you started.

If your never going to change a thing on it then yeh, why not.

As it has been said above, the R700 has a massive amount of aftermarket parts available which makes procuring them easier than for the Howa1500.

I went with the Howa 1500 for my first. Amazing receiver for the $$. Barrels are not so great, but they aren't bad either. Some parts on a 700 are interchangeable, alot of parts are new for them this year due to value/popularity. It is a true, hard receiver, hammer forged. Beefy as hell.
You need a smith that has messed with them before, they are put together diff. Barrels are UNBELIEVABLY HARD to get out. I have a contact for one who built mine. Just use it to build it up like any other custom and you'll be so happy you won't know hat to do with yourself. I have a Timney in mine. Warne 1 piece mount and Pac-Nor supermatch barrel. Am waiting on Manners stock.

I'm going to end up having about $1,600 in the build w/out optics. Not bad for a first. My next will more than likely be a Scalpel. However I needed to save $$ in order to get one, so the 1500 only made sense. I payed $415 for the barreled action, new, sold the barrel for $100.

If you are going to keep it stock, then it's fine.

If you are going to upgrade it, then go Remington or Savage. The difference in the initial price is very little when you look at the big picture.

I have gone cheap to try to save some cash in the past. I have almost always regretted it down the road.

Will post results in 12 weeks, as soon as stock gets here. Then we will see how a FULL custom 1500, 243, 18.75 for $1600 bucks does at 800m. Lets just see how it does.
Just so you have an idea of what I spent.
Barreled action: $415; -$100
Pac-Nor Supermatch barrel: $245
Manners MCS T-3 stock w/flush cups on weak side: $455
Timney 3lb trigger: $105
Howa DBM metal w/2x 10 rnd mags: $157
Blueprint/fit/finish/labor: $400
Total: $1,677

$1,770 with Warne one piece rail base

I will never understand why people say there is very little upgrade support for the Howa 1500 and that if you plan on changing anything from stock then not to get it.

There is plenty of upgrades out there and any smith worth anything should be able to work on them.

Lack of support may have been true a while ago, but it's growing. Hell, CDI makes bottom metal for the Howa 1500 so you can use AICS mags for one.

Hate all ya want, but, I bet 5-1 odds this biotch is gonna be a good one for under $2k.

you may want to look into a winchester m70... good action with plenty of options for building

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will never understand why people say there is very little upgrade support for the Howa 1500 and that if you plan on changing anything from stock then not to get it.

There is plenty of upgrades out there and any smith worth anything should be able to work on them. </div></div>
The people who say that don't know what they are talking about.

The 1500 will take ANY set of scope bases that fit an equivalent length Remington receiver. Timney makes a trigger for it and the factory trigger can be smoothed over by any competent smith. Manners inlet for them. CDI makes DBMs for it. PTG has several bolt upgrade parts and is coming out with a steel floorplate bottom metal (I will own one).

I'd say to go with Savage or Remington, you won't be disappointed. I'm partial to Savage though.

The Howa 1500 / Weatherby Vangard is an EXCELLENT rifle to start with.

This rifle costs less fully outfitted than you can (normally) buy an out of the box Remington 700 PSS.

Howa01-600x286.jpg

Howa08-600x346.jpg

Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard features:
1. Beautifully smooth CNC machined action (virtually) trued right out of the box.
2. Lugs required (almost) no lapping what-so-ever.
3. Action face was already square and good to go.
3. Integrated recoil lug machined into the action, no truing required.
4. M-16 style extractor.
5. Vented bolt, just in case of blown primers (as a hand loader pushing the envelope on some of my custom loads, this is a feature I wish I had in the past).
6. Extremely user friendly bolt and firing pin design that can be maintained in the field with no special tools required.
7. Plus the added benifit of the Vanguard having a very "tune-able" trigger, just like the Remington 700 does.

Here's a write up I did regarding building and inexpensive, yet accurate tactical rifle.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...512#Post1378512

It would get you started but a remington or savage would be a better start. If you are worried about the price difference, if I were you I would wait a little lonegr save a little more money and get something that will get you busy and happy for a long time, aka remington or savage

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E3C3H3O3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would get you started but a remington or savage would be a better start. If you are worried about the price difference, if I were you I would wait a little lonegr save a little more money and get something that will get you busy and happy for a long time, aka remington or savage </div></div>

That makes no sense. All available parts were listed including prices. How is getting a rifle that will shoot just as well, if not better, for alot less $$ going to make him happier? How can you get abetter start than a receiver that is almost perfectly trued, with integral recoil lug, almost perfect cycling and all aftermarket parts? Don't get me wrong, I wont dog a Savage, or 700, but getting a receiver that has just as many aftermarket parts available, costs less initially and needs less finish work sounds better to me.
Guess thats just me being the idiot that I am for wanting an excellent product and saving money when it is available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cutnhrse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E3C3H3O3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would get you started but a remington or savage would be a better start. If you are worried about the price difference, if I were you I would wait a little lonegr save a little more money and get something that will get you busy and happy for a long time, aka remington or savage </div></div>

That makes no sense. All available parts were listed including prices. How is getting a rifle that will shoot just as well, if not better, for alot less $$ going to make him happier? How can you get abetter start than a receiver that is almost perfectly trued, with integral recoil lug, almost perfect cycling and all aftermarket parts? Don't get me wrong, I wont dog a Savage, or 700, but getting a receiver that has just as many aftermarket parts available, costs less initially and needs less finish work sounds better to me.
Guess thats just me being the idiot that I am for wanting an excellent product and saving money when it is available. </div></div>

Well I am sorry our opinions differ, now go take a chill pill, and unruffle your panties

Hey bud, I wasn't gettin' mad, nor was I throwin insults. I was making a counter statement. Seems as though somebady is tryin t'stir the pot a little.
Ok, look, if you have that opinion its cool. I just think it is better to try and steer somebody down the path of least resistance. Saying that I mean that if he wants a starter rifle, he should get good bang for the buck. If he wants something to save for, I think we can all agree he should save for the bad mo foe's and get a GAP, or Surgeon. This is a way for him to have a good rifle on a budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cutnhrse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey bud, I wasn't gettin' mad, nor was I throwin insults. I was making a counter statement. Seems as though somebady is tryin t'stir the pot a little.
Ok, look, if you have that opinion its cool. I just think it is better to try and steer somebody down the path of least resistance. Saying that I mean that if he wants a starter rifle, he should get good bang for the buck. If he wants something to save for, I think we can all agree he should save for the bad mo foe's and get a GAP, or Surgeon. This is a way for him to have a good rifle on a budget. </div></div>

Whatever, when typing sometimes word are taken differently, I am not trying to stir anything, just my opinion is a savage or remmy is a better rifle to start and build off of. No problems here

The "after-market parts" arguement kills me. Here's why.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Picatinny Scope Rails</span></span>
How many one piece 20 MOA (or zero MOA) Picatinny rails do you need for a rifle?

Are 20 MOA (or zero MOA) 1 piece Picatinny rails available for the Howa's?
Yes, both 0 MOA and 20 MOA rails are available for Howa's.

So, is getting a Picatinny rail for a Howa an issue?
No.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Triggers</span></span>
How many triggers do you need for a rifle?

Are very nice after-market triggers available for the Howa's?
Yes.

Can both the out-of-the-box and after-market triggers for the Howa's be polished and fine tuned?
Yes.

So, is getting a really nice trigger for a Howa an issue?
No.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">AICS magazine compatible Bottom Metal</span></span>
How many magazine fed AICS compatable bottom metals do you need for a rifle?

Are after-market magazine fed AICS compatable bottom metals available for the Howa's?
Yes.

Do the after-market AICS magazine compatible bottom metals available for the Howa's work well?
*Yes.

*CDI Precision make great AICS magazine compatible bottom metal for the Howa's!

So, is getting an AICS magazine compatible bottom metal for a Howa an issue?
No.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">"Snipery" type stocks</span></span>
How many "Snipery" type stocks do you need for a rifle?

Are EXCELLENT after-market "Snipery" type stocks available for the Howa's?
Yes.

Do these EXCELLENT after-market "Snipery" type stocks work well?
*Yes.

*Manner's Precision, Bell & Carlson, McMillan (and maybe HS Precision) make great "Snipery" type stocks for the Howa's!

So, is getting an EXCELLENT after-market "Snipery" type stock for a Howa an issue?
No.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Custom "uber-accurate" barrels</span></span>
How many custom "uber-accurate" barrels do you need for a rifle?

Are EXCELLENT custom "uber-accurate" barrels available for the Howa's?
Yes.

Do these EXCELLENT custom "uber-accurate" barrels work well?
*Yes.

*Krieger, ABS, Bartlien, Benchmark, Douglas, Hart, Lilja, Mike Rock, PAC-NOR, Satern and Shilen all make great custom "uber-accurate" barrels that can be chambered and fitted for Howa rifles!

So, is getting an EXCELLENT custom "uber-accurate" barrel for a Howa an issue?
No.

Since all of these parts are available for Howa Rifles, is upgrading a Howa any different than upgrading a Remington 700?
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Yes!</span></span> The Howa action is so "feature rich" straight out of the box that accurizing a Howa is actually LESS expensive than starting with an out of the box Remington 700.

Thanks for the info...i think I am going to go with a Remington. I like the large amount of parts available

What makes me laugh is that people tell people to buy Remington because the rifle is shit out the box and there are a load of parts available to make it shoot the way it should out of the box.

What a fucked up way of looking at something!

Buy a Tikka T3 and you will get a highly accurate rifle with a damn good factory trigger and a stock that doesnt really need replacing unless you want to. $426 is the cheapest model, will shoot sub 0.5-0.75 moa with match ammo or handloads.

You will need to spend nothing at all and you can save your hard earned cash up for a nice custom rifle at a later date.

OR you can buy a Rem 700 where the trigger and stock are nothing but junk and the action isnt even true. then pay $1000 to get it to shoot as well as a Tikka does out of the box!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What makes me laugh is that people tell people to buy Remington because the rifle is shit out the box and there are a load of parts available to make it shoot the way it should out of the box.

</div></div>

PSS's, SPS's, LTR's, Sendero's, I could go on... Shoot half inch out of the box MANY times. The Remington Xmark trigger, while it cant easily be adjusted, is pretty crisp out of the box and most stay that way.
If you get a model listed above that comes with an HS stock, you're one bedding job away from a decent rifle.

I bought an SPS, dropped it in an A5, and had a bad ass rifle for over a year until I could rebarrel it.

Now I do agree that they could put more time into the machining of their actions and have a better product. But they do shoot GREAT out of the box.

To answer the OPs question, Howas arent bad rifles. I question their barrels but the actions have good features on them, and you can get a Mcmillan for them.
A rebarreled Howa, in a Mcmillan stock, I'd like as much as a Remy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What makes me laugh is that people tell people to buy Remington because the rifle is shit out the box and there are a load of parts available to make it shoot the way it should out of the box.

</div></div>

PSS's, SPS's, LTR's, Sendero's, I could go on... Shoot half inch out of the box MANY times. The Remington Xmark trigger, while it cant easily be adjusted, is pretty crisp out of the box and most stay that way.
If you get a model listed above that comes with an HS stock, you're one bedding job away from a decent rifle.

I bought an SPS, dropped it in an A5, and had a bad ass rifle for over a year until I could rebarrel it.

Now I do agree that they could put more time into the machining of their actions and have a better product. But they do shoot GREAT out of the box.

To answer the OPs question, Howas arent bad rifles. I question their barrels but the actions have good features on them, and you can get a Mcmillan for them.
A rebarreled Howa, in a Mcmillan stock, I'd like as much as a Remy.</div></div>

Sako barrel, 2lb Trigger zero creep, stock that doesnt need binning on day 1:

Tikka T3 Varmint = $650

I dont see how any remington can compete at that price point.

My first build was a Savage, plenty of parts available. One downside is some folks are die-hard Remmy fans and this can hurt if you sell it...

Thanks for all the great info everyone. I always like to try and get the most information good or bad before making a choice. And I have learnedfrom reading many threads on the hide that someone will always give their opinion. I love it.

Ahhh... i didn't know Howa's were in season? All I have to say is hold a Howa bolt in one hand, and a Remmy in the other... Damn embarrassing as an American.

I think you can build an excellent budget rifle off the Howa platform, and if you are looking to spend 3-4K on a stick then wouldn't you want a custom action? I sure would.

On a tangential note, Howa now has their own DBM with five and ten round magazines at an attractive price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lghunt1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info...i think I am going to go with a Remington. I like the large amount of parts available </div></div>
WTF?

+1 for Howa I have 4 and all shoot well under .75 moa with good handloads. I'd say thats a hell of a starter rig. It can only get better from there and you've kept some coin in your pocket over the other brands.

If you take a factory, heavy barreled 1500 to a gunsmith and have the barrel re-crowned back to 22" with a deep 11 degree. Have the headspace checked and messed with if it needs it. Break the barrel in right. No reason you can't get under 1/2. I've seen one shoot just above 1/4 from doing just that and that was the rifle that sold me on using the 1500 receiver.
I is his choice in the end.

I cant recall the website but there is a guy who makes a great Howa starter package. I want to say he is out of Montana.

I have owned an LTR for over a decade, love it but in all honesty Remington is just one of the pack.

I am curious though-
just what woo hoo extra is only available if you own a remington?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cant recall the website but there is a guy who makes a great Howa starter package. I want to say he is out of Montana.

I have owned an LTR for over a decade, love it but in all honesty Remington is just one of the pack.

I am curious though-
just what woo hoo extra is only available if you own a remington? </div></div> I believe you are thinking of the package from Mel at SniperCentral.

it shot well from the start, and would be a fine starter but I really like mine now

finished.jpg

Mine has shot great right from the start. I am not a great precision shooter and I can maintain sub MOA groups @ 100yards with good ammo if i do my part.
IMG_3127.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HoboHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I have to say is hold a Howa bolt in one hand, and a Remmy in the other... Damn embarrassing as an American.</div></div>

Bingo. As much as i love to buy american stuff to achieve this vague sense of patriotism, quality come first and foremost. Remingtons quality, for lack of a better word, is shit.

Glad someone said it. Kinda felt bad I was even thinking it.

ighunt1,

For what it's worth, I am getting into the game too and was looking for a good starter and decided on the Howa Thumbhole Varminter in .223 rem.(partially because it was so inexpensive). So far the only thng I have done to it is bed the action and developed handloads for it. As it sits in the safe right now it will hold less then half inch all day long at 100yds. Two weekends ago I "lazed" a ground hog at 343yds and called the headshot to my buddy. I think you'd be happy purchasing the Howa. I know I am.

Tikka09

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvsdev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">VAJay, which two piece base is that?</div></div>

those were Lupy MK4 two piece bases. Worked just fine but I recently got a one piece Ferrel with 10 MOA cant, and had it machined down to a more reasonable "low profile" since the ferrels are so damn high

I'm in the process of building a Howa that I picked up used with the standard barrel. To you guys with the heavy barrel, do you feel any need to replace them? I'll have pictures up this weekend of my rig. What sold me on them when I held a new one was how hefty and precise everything felt. No creaks or wobbles or slop, just a heavy duty and reliable setup. Gives you a lot of confidence in the rig.

-Travis

Travis,

Question: How does it shoot? My stock-barreled Howa .223 thumbhole varminter shoots half inch. With that, it probably shoots better than I can so replacing the barrel would be a waste of money for me.

Tikka