• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is a ITS 6.8 a good first AR

darthceadus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2010
Albany, NY USA
I've been torn between rifles, I was gonna buy a m700 PSS but think I'm gonna do a AR first and wait for a new 5R next year. So the rifle I'm looking at is a YHM diamond. It has a 11.25 twist and 5R rifling. I could us some input about barrel size 16 or 18. Its chamber is 6.8x43 so it'll shoot the new rounds as well as the old. I definitely want a sub MOA gun so if you can help it will be great.

Re: Is a ITS 6.8 a good first AR

What are you going to be using it for? If it is for hunting, it is a nice round. For everything else, the 5.56 is much cheaper to shoot. I've had 7 6.8 ARs and the cost was too much for just plinking and training.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've had 7 6.8 ARs and the cost was too much for just plinking and training. </div></div>

x2

I only have 1 6.8.. It was my first AR. I hunt and plink with it, but 5.56 is waaay cheaper to shoot paper with. Don't get me wrong though, I'm a huge fan of the 6.8. Its my go to hunting gun. Its effective range is beyond the places I hunt, its match grade accurate.

Its a jackhammer on deer and top notch on paper.

What size barrels do you guys use? I want to be able to take down a whitetail at 300 yards if it calls for but don't get wrong I'm going to be shooting some groups with it also. I have a concrete shooting bench behind my house that max range is 365 yards.

I hunt with 6.8mm but I agree with above. At a $1.00 a round it can be a very expensive plinking rifle to use. I have since gotten into reloading and brought down the cost some. I use a LWRC 6.8 with a 16" barrel and load to 2700fps using a Barnes TTSX bullet that takes down white tails easily. Nice blood trails. You might also want to do some research on the 6.5 Grendel round too. It is a better longer range round than the 6.8mm.

I don't reload yet so there are a lot more options concerning factory ammo. The 6.5 would be the caliber of choice if I reloaded, but until I do I think I'll stick to the 6.8. The ITS is pretty tricked out for the price. Does anyone shoot theirs past 300?

I've shot out to 500 yards with a 14" barrel using 90 GR bullets in J.Boyette's class last year. Had no problems hitting the targets. A 16" barrel with pretty much any factory hunting load will be good out to 300 yards for hunting. For target shooting, the Sierra 115 GR SMK are very accurate.

Thanks for your guys input! I'm going to order my upper on Thursday. I'm really excited to put some rounds downrange! What about optics? I was thinking about the 3x9 42mm super sniper. The Eotech is probably useless for groups without the magnifier. This is definitely about the most bang for the buck. Not only that but its only 3x.

Do you know where I can find a price? That scope for some reason won't pop up on my screen. I know you can only order it from them. I really think that's going to be a deadly combination, I decided on the 18" SS 11.25 with 5R rifling. Plus YHM diamond 9" handguard.

Thanks again for all the advice, you've been really helpful. By the way your blog was awesome with lots of info. I will definitely use your specs when I get some brass collected I will have a friend of mine work some up. Did have any specs for 18" barrel with SPC2 6.8x43 chamber? Is there any mods I should do to my Rguns forged lower with 6 pos stock?

I had the Bison Armory 18" barrel which has the 1:11"/4-groove/SPCII chamber. If only tested a couple of loads with the 18" barrel, but I tested a ton with the 16" barrels. You can pretty much add 50fps to the 16" velocities and you will be close to the 18" velocities.

You will be fine with your lower. If your brass is ejecting at the 1 or 2 o'clock position, just use a heavier buffer or get the Superior Shooting Buffer Spring.