• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is a KRG Whiskey 3 a worthwhile upgrade for a Bergara BMP?

Anonymoose

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2020
USA
Now that I lurk this forum constantly I am beginning to have chassis envy. I have a Bergara BMP that fits me well and is as adjustable as I would ever need a chassis to be. However, the more I see the Whiskey-3 the more I unjustifiably need one.

Is there any functional or performance reason I should upgrade? I am not currently competing so there are no stakes associated with my shooting. I hope to start shooting matches later this year. I have a Burris Signature HD 4.5-25x50 scope, that's probably the thing I should upgrade before the chassis but I like it and the 6.5CM reticle is quite functional.

Is your scope FFP or SFP?

If SFP, I would upgrade it first.

If it is FFP, go for the chassis.

The nice part about Bergaras is they use a 700 footprint, so if you wanted to upgrade your action in the future, your chassis would more than likely fit.

Is your scope FFP or SFP?

If SFP, I would upgrade it first.

If it is FFP, go for the chassis.

The nice part about Bergaras is they use a 700 footprint, so if you wanted to upgrade your action in the future, your chassis would more than likely fit.
Scope is FFP. Is the W3 that much better a platform than the stock BMP chassis? If it is, why?

Scope is FFP. Is the W3 that much better a platform than the stock BMP chassis? If it is, why?
I haven't handled the BMP, but the chassis looks relatively light.

I've owned a W3 and although not the heaviest of the chassis, it is plenty stout.

For target and comps, I like a heavier rifle.

I haven't handled the BMP, but the chassis looks relatively light.

I've owned a W3 and although not the heaviest of the chassis, it is plenty stout.

For target and comps, I like a heavier rifle.
With the scope, unloaded and no bipod it's 15.5lbs. The chassis itself is fairly heavy. I should weight it and compare to the weight of the KRG.

Last edited:
You'd have an easier time running arca, and have a better forend design for positional shooting then what the BMP offers. That being said I have very few complaints with my BMP, I wish the chassis had a wider forend and not so tapered on the underside, so it would settle on a bag better, wish it had factory arca ( common wish for most chassis) and wish it had a little more support under the receiver tang.

You'd have an easier time running arca, and have a better forend design for positional shooting then what the BMP offers. That being said I have very few complaints with my BMP, I wish the chassis had a wider forend and not so tapered on the underside, so it would settle on a bag better, wish it had factory arca ( common wish for most chassis) and wish it had a little more support under the receiver tang.
Are you running an M Lok arca rail? It's something I've considered but with the forend tapered I worry about the integrity when being knocked hard. I suppose if a Picatinny Bipod can withstand being knocked around an arca rail would have a good chance of surviving.

Looks like the BMP will allow one to change the grip, add an arca rail via m-lok and add a couple pairs of m-lok weights up front. But, that stuff isn't cheap and adds up... couple pairs of weights and an arca rail is probably ~$200 right there.

IMHO if you need more options or need something beyond that, then a W3/X-ray/Bravo offers more, and probably is a better way to go if one might spend one's dollars towards chassis upgrades, as there's a lot of KRG's out there that use the same growing family of accessories... whereas that BMP chassis' options are what they are.

Are you running an M Lok arca rail? It's something I've considered but with the forend tapered I worry about the integrity when being knocked hard. I suppose if a Picatinny Bipod can withstand being knocked around an arca rail would have a good chance of surviving.
I have always just run a picatinny bipod. I just picked up a McMillian z10 to drop a terminus in so that'll be my first endeavor into arca

Looks like the BMP will allow one to change the grip, add an arca rail via m-lok and add a couple pairs of m-lok weights up front. But, that stuff isn't cheap and adds up... couple pairs of weights and an arca rail is probably ~$200 right there.

IMHO if you need more options or need something beyond that, then a W3/X-ray/Bravo offers more, and probably is a better way to go if one might spend one's dollars towards chassis upgrades, as there's a lot of KRG's out there that use the same growing family of accessories... whereas that BMP chassis' options are what they are.
I have changed to an Ergo zero angle grip. The weights are a reasonable solution. I'm using a Harris Bipod and if the ARCA rail will only offer more stability on a barrier I'm not in a huge rush on that. I find it pretty stable on my Fortune Cookie as is

I had a BMP Chassis for a while. Upgraded to a Magpul Pro 700 but the bmp was a great chassis. Mine weighed 4 lbs 13 oz without an arca rail. You can add an arca to yours
EC73C767-84BB-4A4E-980E-5BA5417DBC62.jpeg
easily and weights so I don’t think the W3 is going to be much different in function. You may like the way it feels more than the bmp and to me that would be worth the switch.

The w3 is a great choice. It offers a lot of adjustments with little work. I like mine because I'm not the only one shooting my rifles. The x-ray is a good choice if it is just you shooting your rifle. The LOP uses spacers. It is like 500 bucks cheaper. The bravo just doesn't feel good to me.

I had a BMP Chassis for a while. Upgraded to a Magpul Pro 700 but the bmp was a great chassis. Mine weighed 4 lbs 13 oz without an arca rail. You can add an arca to yoursView attachment 7540815 easily and weights so I don’t think the W3 is going to be much different in function. You may like the way it feels more than the bmp and to me that would be worth the switch.
Thanks. Details on that thumb rest please?