• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is a monopod on the rear of a rifle worth buying vs a bag?

Nickdev47

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2017
Canton, Ohio
As the title says. Mostly for load development and accuracy testing. I understand its not useful for PRS matches.

As the title says. Mostly for load development and accuracy testing. I understand its not useful for PRS matches.

I asked the same question some time ago. Heard both sides of argument. I bought two. I like to use them if I am spotting for someone or I am looking through the scope at the same area for long periods of time. I find the bag is more steady for me while shooting.

I asked the same question some time ago. Heard both sides of argument. I bought two. I like to use them if I am spotting for someone or I am looking through the scope at the same area for long periods of time. I find the bag is more steady for me while shooting.
Thanks for the info. I feel like i'm on the side of a bag because of its simplicity and it can be used in other ways

Reactions: Changed
I would rather use bag, I have a atlas mono-pod. But only works when I’m shooting down hill it’s to talk to use flat unless I extend my bi-pod which I don’t like to do.

Atlas mono-pod here too and it does have it’s limitations, so I end up using a bag unless I’m zeroing a scope at 100 yards on a bench...they seem to be perfect for that.

I have the atlas monopod from when I had a chassis. I do not use it anymore. Let me know if you want to buy it.

for the price i bought both on some places i go shooting i can use the mono pod its nice , personally I like the bag much better less movement and more stable feeling to me.

After trying and tossing countless bags and going through the monopod stage, I took matters into my own hands!
371E8326-A0BD-436D-98B6-4E22075DE2BD.jpeg

Happy to set you up!
https://precisionundergroundriflegear.com/

Did not past op but a bag is better for none moving targets at a match or range. Movers, a mono allows easy tracking even if you trap your target. I know lots of guys who used a bag for shoot an scoot field operations that lost bags who relied upon them heavily. Hard to lose whats attached an used correctly the mono will do what the rear bag will,... it's in the wrist.

very very different intended purposes. not the most fair comparison...for like 95% at least of the people on this forum

Im with Stevo on this one. I have 2 and found a rear bag works better when I'm actually shooting. If I'm spotting or looking at a target for a period of time to write notes or do whatever, the monopod helps.

Reactions: b6graham
digging up a old thread...

consensus has been a bag is better than a mono pod 9:1 on every "vs" thread

for the guys who have used both for more than a few times:

is it just the fine tune adjustment that is the issue?

is the accuracy the same when using both?

do you think it is the ability of the stock to "ride" the bag slightly compared to a hard bottom sliding or skipping on the ground/bench?

Thanks for bringing this up again. Is it perhaps the case that when a bag is not available, or handy, you have the monopod "just in case"?

forgot to add, this isnt a PRS run and gun type question

no time limits, range day, bench, prone etc

Reactions: Centuriator
I liked the mono pod when the tables were a bit too small to use the bag on other wise I like the bag way more . Whether it's as good i could not really say I have even tried those cheap lab jacks and found that works pretty nice once modified a little , but they add a bit more shaky movement than I want to see through my scope , maybe if they were made with tighter tolerances or slightly better materials they would not shake so much however I still like the bag better . everyone is different on what they like or don't like .

thanks guy ...morning bump
the more opinions the better

They add a bit more shaky movement than I want to see through my scope ...

I much prefer a rear bag and my experience with the single monpod on the stock has been the same as yours. I figured it was more of a "back up" solution if a bag was not available.

Reactions: Steel head
so we think they are shaky because of the fit/finish/materials of the monopod itself, threaded rod flexing etc

or the button on the bottom is just on some sand or grit not giving a proper base?

so we think they are shaky because of the fit/finish/materials of the monopod itself, threaded rod flexing etc

or the button on the bottom is just on some sand or grit not giving a proper base?

I thought maybe it was the nature of a single point of contact on the monopod as opposed to the rear bag spreading out the weight and giving a much more stable platform. Just my theory.

Reactions: brianf
I just changed from a monopod to a bag rider and bag. And you can use your bags on all your rifles with no need for attachment points

I just changed from a monopod to a bag rider and bag. And you can use your bags on all your rifles with no need for attachment points
do you notice any accuracy or ability to group difference...less flyers?

Mono pod are for tactical pictures time.
Bags are for shooting.
PU bags are my fav and I tested them against a expensive bunny ear bag in a custom made riser plate system and the PU bag was just as stable but far far far more versatile.

do you notice any accuracy or ability to group difference...less flyers?
I am personally more stable and able to make quick fine adjustments with how much pressure I put on the bag.

bag is better for me, but if you're not concerned about weight, it doesn't hurt to have something always attached to the rifle that can be used if needed. jmo.

I use mono pods , rabbit ear and PU bags. If I am on a bench I prefer the rabbit ear bag and a front rest.
Anywhere else the PU bag. The monopod seems to work better with heavier rifles for me, I grip it with my
Hand and use the base of my hand and the pod to steady the rifle.

I have a monopod on rifle for matches, sometimes the COF gets cute with the bag limitations. It's usefull on boat and culvert Pipe props.

I had a monopod on an MPA chassis.

I didn't like it.

To operate it, you needed to tighten or loosen it on the threaded stud.
I could always put crosshairs on the target, but it would never be consistently on the middle of the target. And it was never a fluid movement. A small amount of adjustment would usually turn into too much, and quite easily. Especially shooting off of concrete.

Using the monopod on a shooting mat or on on softer ground would help this.

Target acquisition was slow compared to the use of a rear bag.

I will say that a monopod has great utility in hunting settings when you don't want to carry the weight/bulk of a bag. On my antelope hunts last fall and a sheep hunt in December, I shot with the monopod for rear support and did pretty well. Learning to better use my small Armageddon brick back is on my "to-do" list however. That sort of rear bag isn't much of a burden to carry.

People have summed it up well, but I'd like to add something to think about for the PRO- it works great on a bench crowed.

The way the gun zeros, is in large part dictated by the recoil impulse. Just like shooting a bow well, doing the same thing each and every time is key.

As an example, most guns will a heavy recoil have a zero offset between driving the bipod super hard and free-recoiling; sometimes even between shooters.

Using a solid rear mount on a bench changes the way the recoil reacts and thus often creating an offset for other situations. Not sure why anyone would want to zero on a bench that way, OR use a lead-sled...

If you never shoot except on the bench, then you might as well get a benchrest and a heavy sand great bag, that at least smooths out and directs the recoil impulse, the same every shot. If you go that route you might want to hang out here: https://benchrest.com/forum.php

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate
A monopod used as designed connects your rifle to the ground(or bench or whatever). That's not what you're trying to do in tactical shooting. You want to connect the rifle to YOU with a correct NPA, and then use the bag to steady the reticle. Guys who want to try a monopod are typically misunderstanding what a rear support is supposed to do(ask me how I know). It's not for aiming. Your body is for aiming. Your rear support is for steadying the reticle once the rifle is an extension of you and on target. Too many guys want to aim by squeezing the bag a certain amount and then mashing their face into the stock to try to lock it in. This locks the rifle to the ground, not to you. This usually equals inconsistency and terrible recoil management. You can get away with it shooting 6GT with a brake but as soon as recoil is introduced thing fall apart.

If you feel like you have to aim with your rear bag you are doing it wrong IMO. Work on being dead weight(not propped up on elbows), pulling straight into a relaxed shoulder with bicep ONLY, with your body positioned so your reticle is on target. Then add your bag to make the reticle be still. If you feel like you have to use your bag to guide the reticle shift your feet/hips/legs and keep pulling straight in until you are on target. Make sure you are doing it without steering with the firing hand or guiding with the bag.

I have a tiger valley sling bag, figured it was a good balance of there when you need it like the monopod and more stable like a bag. So far, I think it works pretty good. It isn't too heavy and it stays on the rifle so you have a hard time losing it haha.

I use to run an accushot, still have it, they have the quick release button to adjust height on the fly. It was actually pretty nifty and worked well once you developed a technique. My only real issue with it is the requirement of mounting over several rigs since I had the picatinny option.

This led me back to the use of bags across the board.

For me, a monopod would be more for very dynamic DMR type scenarios. Lots of movement, generous (human size) targets, and close to medium distance.

Run/move with rifle, drop into a position, grab monopod and use the bottom of your fist to connect the mono to ground, fire shot/s, and move.

I’d likely never use it when given time/opportunity.

It’s also a good utility for a work/field rifle as it’s attached and always there in case you don’t have a bag or something happened to your bag.

Can't squeeze a monopod for micro corrections...Plus you can't beat the price of a sock and some beads from walmart...

Can't squeeze a monopod for micro corrections...Plus you can't beat the price of a sock and some beads from walmart...

It's all about technique...in all the times I have used my accu shot I think I have used it once at 90 from the stock as in the traditional way most view monopods are used. Cradling the monopod and creating a wedge is very effective and as DT stated allows for very, very quick minute adjustments in height.

It's not for everyone and isn't a one all do all thing but can be very effective when utilizing a certain technique with the tool. As stated tho the ole bean bag is hard to beat $$ wise.

A bag will fit almost any rifle. The mono pods aren’t quite as versatile... another vote for a bag here.