• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is a NEW Tikka T3x stainless action & trigger worth $985?

Milf Dots

Milf Hunter Extraordinaire
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2019
Locally I can get a new Tikka T3x Lite Stainless rifle in Left Hand chambered in .308 for about $985 including tax...

But I just want the action and trigger out of it so I can build a 6.5 CM, chassis based rifle...

The question: Is the Stainless TIkka T3x complete action, and trigger assembly, worth the $985?

What are the most reliable mags and chassis combo, to run with a T3x action? I'd really prefer metal A.I. mags, or something similarly durable, but want max feeding reliability.

Last edited:
Got that price on I’d buy a bighorn, Mack bros, or CDG. Or just watch the classifieds here.

Reactions: reubenski
Got that price on I’d buy a bighorn, Mack bros, or CDG. Or just watch the classifieds here.
I'm a LEFTY and the wait times are too long on many custom actions.

Who is CDG?

I built 2 rifles that are excellent shooters off Tikka actions. Love them, but that was when I could snag used stainless barreled actions for $$450-500. When the tikka craze really kicked in about 3-4 years ago, I’m not so sure the prices for them now are worth it if you’re immediately going to strip it just for the action/trigger. Sure you can dump the barrel for $100 and the stock for $50, but the margins between a custom action and a new T3X stainless are becoming thinner. Just my thoughts.

Are you married to stainless?

Left hand tikka, turn it into 6.5cm, and put it In a chassis

Considered just buying the left hand tac a1?

BEJRTAC482L
UPC: 082442897936

It does leave you with a blued finish vs stainless but you would be ready to go day 1 and you've got a barrel to burn out before you need to worry with more cost.

Also gives you the 2 stage trigger and three position safety

Pay more for a Tikka than you can get a custom 700 action for and have a better action with better selection of shouldered prefits, and aftermarket trigger options, and all the other benefits of that platform? Hard no. I'd buy an Origin at that point.

If you shop around though you can get SS T3X models for under $800 delivered though.

if i was doing a tikka just for the action i'd be getting a cartridge that i would keep the barrel/stock to use for hunting only (assumine you can get the barrel off without destroying it)

otherwise i'd find a vendor with an instock or 3-4 week wait origin (front range precision, bison tactical, altus, keystone)

Bugholes has lefty 308 origins in stock.

Reactions: b6graham
You are going to spend close to the cost of a whole rifle buying an action/trigger/bolt.

What you need to think about is what your doing. Tikka is a good modular platform, but unless you are trying to do something specific on the cheap (running a long COAL short action caliber since they are all long actions) They are not worth it. I have shot Tikka rifles for almost 20 years, Shot a season of PRS with a TAC A1, and hunt with tikka rifles exclusively.

The only way they are worth it from an economics perspective is if you keep the stock barrel. Add a chassis which is going to be another $400-2K, a custom barrel worth a shit $600-1000) you still may have feeding issues ect.

What I am saying is tikka in stock form is where the value is. The A1 is a piece of shit design, the chassis is horrific and I would steer clear. You are much better off buying a 6.5CM CTR and dropping into a cheap chassis if thats what you want. Tikkas will start to choke when they get dirty, so keep that in mind. My impact has gotten way dirtier, and I cant get that thing to not run. Its one of the reasons i switched.

By the time you get a tikka to where you want it, you have spent almost as much as you would with a custom, and you do not have the custom quality or relsale.

Much better off buying a Origin, CDG or other budget action around $800. You will spend a few more dollars up front but long term you will save way more money and have much better options with triggers, chassis, can run AW mags, and a more reliable gun.

Always invest in the best action you can afford. In the long run, its the cheapest part of the rifle and everything else is reliant on it.

You are going to spend close to the cost of a whole rifle buying an action/trigger/bolt.

What you need to think about is what your doing. Tikka is a good modular platform, but unless you are trying to do something specific on the cheap (running a long COAL short action caliber since they are all long actions) They are not worth it. I have shot Tikka rifles for almost 20 years, Shot a season of PRS with a TAC A1, and hunt with tikka rifles exclusively.

The only way they are worth it from an economics perspective is if you keep the stock barrel. Add a chassis which is going to be another $400-2K, a custom barrel worth a shit $600-1000) you still may have feeding issues ect.

What I am saying is tikka in stock form is where the value is. The A1 is a piece of shit design, the chassis is horrific and I would steer clear. You are much better off buying a 6.5CM CTR and dropping into a cheap chassis if thats what you want. Tikkas will start to choke when they get dirty, so keep that in mind. My impact has gotten way dirtier, and I cant get that thing to not run. Its one of the reasons i switched.

By the time you get a tikka to where you want it, you have spent almost as much as you would with a custom, and you do not have the custom quality or relsale.

Much better off buying a Origin, CDG or other budget action around $800. You will spend a few more dollars up front but long term you will save way more money and have much better options with triggers, chassis, can run AW mags, and a more reliable gun.

Always invest in the best action you can afford. In the long run, its the cheapest part of the rifle and everything else is reliant on it.
Left handed stainless CTR's are not imported or else that is what I would've started with.

If all you want is the action and the trigger, perhaps your money would be WAY better spent buying the new CDG action from ARC or something like that.
($899 for a limited time).