• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is a Savage Worth the time to customize

barenger

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2008
East Tn
is a savage worth my time to semi custom (10 fp w/manner t4)? i need a practice gun.or do i shoot the hell out of my mill-spec guns and re-barrel.

Re: Is a Savage Worth the time to customize

What do you want to customize? That thing will probably out shoot you...

I don't get why practicing with a different rifle would be advantageous to shooting other rifles built for the same purpose.

If you want to practice marksmanship basics (like breath control, sight picture, trigger squeeze, position, and the like), then get a good .22.

Otherwise, shoot the rifles you bought for the intended purpose.

As I set here looking a 5 "customized" Savage rifles sitting on my living room floor (just back from a session at the range) all of which shoot sub-MOA I'd say you could do a hell of a lot worse...

go ahead the savage is probably one of the easiest guns to customize but their aren't that many options. whatever you do just keep shooting.

Customizing is always fun and exciting. Different stock, different scope, different scope rings or bases, different trigger, different bolt knob. I would keep the barrel the same since most savages are shooters (heavy barrel one anyway).

I'm new here and just picked up a new Savage 10fp, with the HSP stock on it. I was wondering the same thing as you about being able to customize it. Through sharpshootersupply.com and a few other sites, you can do almost anything to a savage that you can do to a m700...

Though after handling the rifle with HSP stock, I no longer have a desire to put a new stock on it. It even has a large "tactical" bolt handle on it.

I would not do a whole lot to a savage. id buy a heavy barrel in the caliber of choice. bout all id do is upgrade stock/dbm and put a nice optics system on it. savages already shoot so well out of the box, I really wouldnt customize it too much. plus, not real high resale value YMMV

Hunter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisDellwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm new here and just picked up a new Savage 10fp, with the HSP stock on it. I was wondering the same thing as you about being able to customize it. Through sharpshootersupply.com and a few other sites, you can do almost anything to a savage that you can do to a m700...

Though after handling the rifle with HSP stock, I no longer have a desire to put a new stock on it. It even has a large "tactical" bolt handle on it. </div></div>

I have both and my Savages almost always out shoot my remingtons. Plus you can change the barrel with the need for a lath or gun smith.

LongArm

Yeah its great having a rifle shoot so well from the factory, my old 110fp .300wm was far better than me at the time.

I really like the JWPrecision detachable box magazine setup though, that looks excellent. It's spendy but purdy.

When I rebarrel I'll probably go 20" threaded with ops-inc brake/mount in hopes of someday moving to a state that I can own a suppressor in.

the idea has been resented that i dry fire and shoot my current guns.will give this a try.
thanks

Hell yes they are!
I started with a plain jane 10fp.accutrigger.The price wasnt very high(dont remember exactly).Out of the box the savage shot great 3/4" 3 shot groups at 100 yards 4th an 5th shot would open up to about a inch and a quarter due to the cheap ass tupperware stock. I started changing parts afterthat heres what i got know
savage10fp
b&c medalist tactical stock
sss stainless over size recoil lug
jb weaponary bolt handle and teardrop knob
karsten cheek piece
versa pod benchrest model
accu-pod mono-pod
warne 0 moa base
burris med.zee rings
w.o.t.a.c. 4-14x50
Now this rifle is a consistent 1/4 5 shot group shooter all day long

I have a 10FP that I have invested a fair amount of money and time into. I shoots better than any other rifle I own (including my GAP Rem 700). It's reliable, repeatable, and robust. I considering using it in my next match. Seems it likes just about any ammo I feed it, and I like the idea of showing up at a match with a gun that didn't cost $3000.00 and yet shoots like it does.

There are some folks on here that will hack on the Savage rifles. Personaly, I think they have either never shot one, or they are just plain stupid. Savages are great rifles! You can get just about any accessory for a Savage that you can for a Remington. I have had Remingtons that wouldn't hold a candle to a Savage in accuracy, but I have never owned a Savage that was not very accurate right out of the box.

Wow, that's quite a bold statement, and I'm glad to hear it. I have no experience with Remingtons, so I only have one side of the story.

I am however extremely disappointed with the direction that Savage is taking it's tactical rifle line. The new rifles are straight ball ugly, I hate the 3 receiver screw setup, the accu trigger looks like an abortion (even though it's actually quite a nice trigger), and that new bolt release is friggin awful. As far as I'm concerned all Savage had to do to improve it's rifle line was put rifle basix triggers on them and a better stock, like a B&C or an SSS. Their rifles are so fucking ugly now I couldn't buy another one. But I do love the old ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 467</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Iwould post apicture if i could figure out how</div></div>
Use a pic hosting site like tinypic.com and copy the link given into the posting box and hit submit. Make sure you upload it at the 640 size.

Oh i forgot to say def YES on savage
smile.gif
not quite the tomato stake as i was told...

Absolutely, Savage is probably one of the most accurate out of the box rifles you can find. The only real drawback is the tupperware stock, but there are plenty of options offered by B&C, McMillan, Choate, etc. If, by chance, you end up with a barrel that doesn't shoot up to your standards, you can simply order a new prefit barrel and rebarrel it yourself. Can't do that with a Remington!

I have a pre-accutrigger Savage 10fp that I have had for 11 years now and I have "customized" it several times throughout the years. its currently in a B&C tactical medalist stock with a Leupold MK4 and EGW 20 moa base. It is my long range competition rifle it has out shot alot of the factory Remington it has come up against, it shoots compairable to my GAP right out of the box, so yes.

One more try deadly 223.if icant figure it out maybe i could send it to you and you could post it.
2vskexc.jpg

Oh yeah before anyone flames me i know the sling is on upside down. i like it that way. Iam able to adjust a better sling hold from prone this way.
And yes the rings should be turned around too.But since these are more of a hunting style and not the tacticool kind there is nothing really for ejected brass to hit on.So for me it didnt matter.

Sweet i like that stock ive been thinking about buying one. You have any complaints with it?

None at all. stock weighs a little more than 3 lbs.total weight on gun is right at 12 pounds.the stock is very rugged.it has a full length alumium bedding block.
Also thanks for the help on posting pics.It was greatly appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 467</div><div class="ubbcode-body">None at all. stock weighs a little more than 3 lbs.total weight on gun is right at 12 pounds.the stock is very rugged.it has a full length alumium bedding block.
Also thanks for the help on posting pics.It was greatly appreciated. </div></div>

Did yours come with the rear trigger guard screw hole? Mine had no hole there, so I had to drill and tap it myself. No big deal, but it kind of surprised me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 467</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Negative,i had to drill mine also. it took about 5 minutes. </div></div>

Ha ha, same here. I looked at it and was like, 'Oh, that sucks, then I cracked out the drill and tap and had the screw in as fast as I thought about it. B&C may actually do that on purpose because some of the older Savages used a machine screw, and some used a wood screw. I have no idea what the new Savages have.

Me neither,i beleive you are right on the screws.there were about 3 different kinds used.they did this to save time and money.
no biggee though it is a very easy fix

Savage makes a nice rifle, they are usually good shooters out of the box and there are stocks, barrels, triggers etc available.

They don't seem to hold their value as well as a 700 though.

Give Kevin Rayhill a call and he'll guide you for any king of customizing for a savage. He can build one hell of a savage and his stocks - www.stockadegunstocks.com - are really high quality without the price of some other super high end stuff. I am having him build a long ranger for me in .325wsm.

My wife would tell you they are worth the effort to customize. This is her 223. She has a cutdown savage varmint barrel in 223AI as soon as she gets used to the new heavier weight of the rifle and she give me the ok, I will swap it out.
All up weight is 10 lbs 11 oz..
She is looking forward to the weather warming back up and the wind letting off just a touch so she can ring it out. The rifle shot in the 3/4 MOA range prior to the mods...will be interesting to see how it fairs now.

Action: Savage 12 LEFT HAND....
Stock is Kevin Rayhill's Prairie Dog/tactical
Duracoat RED
DBM VBULL from John at JW Precision.. Great product and fantastic person to do business with
Scope is the new Falcon 5-25 FFP MRAD...Demo Version
Will write a review of the scope in the next few days as the weather improves. Hopefully tomorrow evening will be nice.

IMGP3577-1.jpg

IMGP3578.jpg

IMGP3579.jpg

hey guys new to the site ive been readin around a little ive got savage 10fp le with a 20 inch barrell besides the stock what else can i do for it? dont get me wrong it shoots great now but could always be better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DHouser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey guys new to the site ive been readin around a little ive got savage 10fp le with a 20 inch barrell besides the stock what else can i do for it? dont get me wrong it shoots great now but could always be better. </div></div>

buy or load up 2k rounds of .308 ammo and practice

Second time out with my model 12 and shot under 2" group at 300yds, I was very happy, I have under $1400 in mine total and very happy.
1000099v.jpg

300yd.jpg

This (10FP HSP 24"):
IMG_7751_2.jpg

And then one of these:
IMG_6796.jpg

Essentially the same trigger. Both group very well. The stock on the 22lr is different but can be changed.

thanks..
i have an older model pre-accutrigger.7mm mag sent the gun to Jim McCullough in Selma Alabama for a complete make over with a manners t4 in gap camo.

Good call.
Post some pics. when its finished.
As you can see there are quite afew savage fans here.
And man can those savages shoot.

I'm looking to build a 358 win on a savage. Is there any distinct advantage/disadvantage to using the older style action versus the newer style (center feed vs staggered i guess) for building?

I am thinking about building a 6mm br on a new savage single shot stainless action. About 450 dollars for the action. Got two 6mm barrels , a shilen and a krieger 1x8 twist HV taper.

As a biased Savage shooter I can tell you that you'll get more bang for your buck than you can imagine with a Savage, and an even better bang with the non-accutrigger Stevens 200.

Buy a Stevens 200 for 300 bucks. Take off the barrel and stock and sell them (Appx $75 for the barrel and $25 for the plastic). Buy a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock (about $200), a rifle basix adjustable trigger (about $85) and a Lothar Walther SS match barrel for about $300. I have an 1/8 LW barrel in .243Win and it is a great tube.

Develop a good load and for 800 bucks you'll have yourself a friggin' tack driver, and for the price of another barrel you can change calibers in about ten minutes.

Or, you can spend a lot more money for a rifle that you won't be able to work on yourself, but your gunsmith will love you.

if you have questions about a savage kevin at stockade is the person to talk with.i've seen the light.
how-ever not giving up my Gap guns.

The Savages are soooooo easy to rework. I recently finished a 7mm/08 using a standard factory sporter barrel on a 110 action. I bought an unfinished walnut stock from Brownell's and glassed the action and recoil lug. The barrel channel opened up to float the barrel. I mounted a Mueller 4.5X14X40AO scope in Weaver 4X4 rings on an EGW picatinney one piece base. Using a handload consisting of 42.5 grains of Varget pushing a Nosler 120 grain ballistic tip to 2957 fps, I'm getting five shot groups of .632" at 100 yards.

I hope the 6mm Norma BR I'm building on a Stevens 200 centerfeed SA shoots this good...or better.

i dont really like savage rifles , but i have to admit theres no good reason, i guess im a rifle snob. . if you like them they seem like a great deal ive seem them out shoot almost anything right out of the box. i say keep shooting what you have .