• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is a scope mount engaging the handguard picatinny rail a bad idea?

Money Waster

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2017
I recently got a new scope for my bolt gun, which means that I now have a USO LR17 available to mount on my AR. The USO was previously mounted to my bolt gun with Seekins rings. I wanted to find a cantilever one piece mount for the AR, but I don’t see anything with spacing wide enough to accommodate the turret/windage/parallax housing. Based on my measurements, I need 2.9”- 3” between rings to accommodate the scope, and I can’t find anything with this amount of clearance that is the cantilever configuration. This
Leaves me with the option of using the Seekins rings. However, if I go that route the front ring will he clamped to the handguard picatinny rail, and to me that seems like an issue. I shoot this rifle primarily prone with a bipod and rear bag. My concern is that bipod loading may flex the handguard and affect the scope’s zero. Is this a real concern? The handguard is a Centurion Arms rail.

Lou

Which one piece cantilever mounts have you checked out? If you can't find a one piece that fits, you might consider going with a monolith upper so the handguard and upper are one piece. You do not want to mount your rings on the handguard rail and the upper rail separately.

You can go with low rings and then pick up a riser rail like the Badger part:

This will also give you 22 MOA of cant. I've done this before on ARs with good results, and would feel much better about this approach than I would trying to clamp a scope across the handguard/receiver joint.

Reactions: Money Waster
Which one piece cantilever mounts have you checked out? If you can't find a one piece that fits, you might consider going with a monolith upper so the handguard and upper are one piece. You do not want to mount your rings on the handguard rail and the upper rail separately.

I’ve looked at the American Defense mounts, LaRue mounts, and Midwest Industries mounts. The Midwest Industries mounts are close at 2.8”, but I think that they would interfere with the elevation knob rotation as the knob overhangs the turret housing. LaRue doesn’t list the spacing between rings on their web site. I called to ask but was on hold for 20 minutes without moving forward in the cue, so I hung up. I think that the Spuhr cantilever mounts might work, but I do not want to spend that much. A monolithic upper/handguard is also cost prohibitive. I’d go with the Spuhr mount before going that route. I’ll likely call LaRue again to see what their spacing is before pulling the trigger on a more expensive option.

Lou

I’ve looked at the American Defense mounts, LaRue mounts, and Midwest Industries mounts. The Midwest Industries mounts are close at 2.8”, but I think that they would interfere with the elevation knob rotation as the knob overhangs the turret housing. LaRue doesn’t list the spacing between rings on their web site. I called to ask but was on hold for 20 minutes without moving forward in the cue, so I hung up. I think that the Spuhr cantilever mounts might work, but I do not want to spend that much. A monolithic upper/handguard is also cost prohibitive. I’d go with the Spuhr mount before going that route. I’ll likely call LaRue again to see what their spacing is before pulling the trigger on a more expensive option.

Lou

Take a look at Spuhr, GDI and Bobro, thought these are probably the most expensive options. As the others suggested, you could go with a riser to get a bit more real estate on top of your upper.

Reactions: Money Waster