• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is an AR-10 A4 bought in 1997 legal in California

Technologist

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2009
I bought an Armalite AR-10-A4 HBar in California from a Licenced Dealer. DROS was taken with the CA Dept. of Justice. I waited the 10? days. It was bought in december 1997 with the legal 10 round magazines. I've Never moved out of California. I have the DROS Number and CDF number, all the paperwork and receipt of purchase.

Is this all I need to keep it legal? Did I miss a deadline to register it again with the dept of justice or am I OK with the original paperwork and DROS.

Can I still fire it at public ranges in California?

Re: Is an AR-10 A4 bought in 1997 legal in California

Far as I know you still had to register all banned weapons prior to the deadline or you are in possesion of an illegal weapon platform...

Re: Is an AR-10 A4 bought in 1997 legal in California

DROS paperwork does not constitute registration, so unless you also registered it with the DOJ in California prior to the ban, it will not be legal to own in CA.

In order to keep it in the state, you will need to replace the lower receiver with one not banned by name in CA. Armalite and it's subsidiary Eagle Arms are both banned by name, but Armalite pattern receivers from Noveske, Aero Precision, and a few others I can't remember right now are legal to own in the state as long as they are configured properly.

Proper configuration for an AR type rifle to be legal in CA will go one of two ways:

A) Install a magazine lock with a 10 round magazine in place, creating a "Fixed" or "Non-Detachable" magazine. Options are available that allow magazine release, provided a tool of some sort is needed to remove the magazine from the rifle, which is legal under the definitions provided by state law. The tip of a bullet is considered a tool for this, so a device known as a "Bullet Button" has become pretty popular out here. It allows the mag to be removed by requiring the use of a bullet tip or other small tool to actuate the release button.

B) Remove the pistol grip and flash hider, and install a buttstock designed with an integrated hand grip like the U-15 stock:
http://www.californiarifles.com/
It's ugly as sin, but will allow you to use a standard mag release as well as any high cap mags you had before the ban took effect.

Much more information can be found on the http://www.calguns.net/ wesite.

Reactions: Vodak
Update to an 11 year old "hypothetical" question. If the 2008? assault weapon registration deadline was missed but everything else legal up until that point for a 1997 Armalite AR-10-A4 HBar bought in California from a Licensed Dealer in 1997 that looks like this but has a barrel like the bottom image. Fixed stock, muzzle brake, 10 round mags and original owner.

Will any of these options make this legal in CA while retaining the Armalite Lower.
1: Would adding a AR MAGLOCK so it’s converted to a fixed magazine make this legal in CA?
2. Or change the grip to a non pistol grip? Everything else seems featureless?

Or Is a 1997 Armalite AR-10-A4 Lower itself banned so that that lower can never be used in CA even if converted to featureless or fixed magazine?

In the mean time. Is having possession of the lower breaking any laws if the lower and upper are separated and impossible to fire without full assembly?

Also what would be the least expensive way to make a AR10A4 that looks exactly like this 100% legal in CA?

Thanks...

wm_13589101.jpg

Also is this is a CA legal "Recoil Check" and not considered a flash suppressor, Correct?
Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 9.05.42 AM.png

Since the lower is considered the firearm there is no way to use it on a California rifle that has not already been registered as an "assault weapon". The Armalite lower should be sold to someone in a free state or destroyed. (Following all applicable laws of course) There may be a "grace period" upon discovering an "assault weapon" where it can legally be transferred out of state, or surrendered to law enforcement for destruction. Calguns.net is probably the best online resource for getting those questions answered.

Since a person who's had a rifle since '97 may also have owned some standard capacity magazines that hold more than ten rounds in California prior to the import ban, a "featureless" configuration is probably best. The cheapest option is to buy an Armalite pattern lower, finned grip or grip wrap, and transfer all the parts to the new lower as mentioned previously. A stock like the Thordsen FRS-15 will give you better control of the rifle, but is significantly more expensive, and different looking. (U-15's are out of production)

Alternatively if they didn't already have any mags in CA that held more than ten rounds then a fixed magazine configuration like an AR Maglock or something like that would be about the same cost. Again, new CA legal Armalite pattern lower, and parts swap. Standard capacity mags holding more than ten rounds can not be used with a fixed magazine though.

The muzzle brake is fine with either configuration.

Last edited:
Reactions: Technologist