• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Is an MTU contour just TOO much Barrel...?

USW.260

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2010
The World as we know it.
Basicly who runs a MTU contour and wishes that they would have gotten something smaller...especialy on 308win and smaller rounds like the .260rem, or .243win? Also do the flutes Help...Krieger 6 flute to be exact?

To be used for Matches, Hunting, whatever I can sling lead at legally.

Re: Is an MTU contour just TOO much Barrel...?

I run a 28" MTU on my 6.5 Creedmoor and never had a problem with it. That said going with a lighter contour like the med palma, heavy palma or M40/M24 wouldn't effect accuracy but would be lighter obviously.

I had a 308 w/ a MTU at 26" and it was heavier that I like. I have to say for your use in 308 stick w/ 20" or less in a palma or light palma taper. You will not give anything up but weight. I would just go a few more inches in the 6.5mm and 6mm calibers. I realy like the palma tapers.

I've been much happier with my competition rifles since switching from MTU to a palma contour. Much lighter and just as accurate....

MTU would be amongst the last contours I'd roll for utility.

100_0928.jpg

20" MTU Contour Barrel.

it's heavy, but nothing unbearable.

The MTU may not be a problem if you yourself are a Bull or Beast. Big, strong people tend to handle MTU barreled rifles way better than your traditional Palma or lighter contour barreled rifles. So, if you are a weakling, don't go for it. I ain't no beast, but I do work-out enough to where I can handle heavy rifles without a problem. I actually prefer heavy rifles. I find them to be more stable to shoot with. But this is just my opinion and experience on the subject matter.

ok what about if it had the 6 flutes Krieger does.

Anyways I might be finding a deal on one so thought I would ask.

Noone wields an MTU the way in which they do a lesser contour,that is a constant. If you've a favorite haybale and wish to nestle it all day,it's a fine way to fly.

Since going to a med. palma contour I doubt I will use anything else. In my experience it walks the fine line of being heavy enough, but not too heavy. I get the stability and accuracy I desire without the added fatigue of something heavier. Plus mine balances really well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USW.260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok what about if it had the 6 flutes Krieger does.

Anyways I might be finding a deal on one so thought I would ask. </div></div>

A breeze to turn it down to what you wish. Just had a #7 turned to #1 at 21".

I'm a sucker for flutes. Especially deep ones, so the fat barrels allow that, and I find that aesthetically pleasing. Aesthetics are about the only reason to choose such a fat barrel. An MTU makes for a heavy frickin barrel though. A palma contour is really a wiser and more practical choice.

I disagree with the statement about goung with a 20" barrel for 308..depending on your purposes. Yes, it is handier. Yes, you give up velocity, all other things being equal. No, you don't give up MUCH velocity. If you want to really maximize your 308s potential to reach out there, you'll want a barrel longer than 20". For my purposes, a 26" barrel aint no thing, so that is my preferred length. If I were in the brush, I would go much shorter. If I were humping the rifle all day, I'd go shorter.

I'd rather have a 20" 7-08 than a 26" 308.

This is a good question. I have a 26" medium palma and a 26" MTU and I prefer the palma due to weight. Of course, the palma is mounted in an AICS so there goes any weight savings. Any barrel I buy in the future will be a medium palma. As far as flutes are concerned...when they're cut correctly, they're ok but I've heard that if they're cut poorly you can loose barrel rigidity. Personally, I wouldn't go the fluted route. Hope this helps.

I put a MTU contour 22" barrel on my buddy's .308. It's pretty hefty, and not what I would consider a hump around the woods gun. Better suited for the bench or treestand sitting....

A lighter barrel should be able to do everything you want and then some...

Rigidity is a mechanical property and doesn't get "lost". Now heat and stress can certainly enter the equation,but are matters separate. Flutes are always cool and I remain a fan of freezing mine.

I disfavor contours as great as the Remington Varmint for utility and much prefer lesser.

I think accuracy differences between a short barrel and long barrel are a moot point and have been beat to death. With the right combination in a 308, a short barrel can get you past 1k without issues. I have a KMW 19" MTU that does very well to and past 1k. It really depends on what you want to lug around. In a 20" or shorter I say go MTU. If you get 24-26", go standard or heavy Palma. I don't run flutes on mine. YMMV.

I shoot a 20" 308 MTU and it's about ideal for balance, velocity, and handiness. I also have a 1.25" straight cylinder 18" 308 that's even more handy in the brush. The MTU was hard to handle when it was 26". I climb mountains with both rifles..

Have them as receiver diameter in straight 1.350". I prefer my sub #1's,Titanium and Montanas.

What does a good Kodiak Buck look like? Have any pictures of good ones? Thanks!

Have a 20inch MTU krieger barrel and could not be happier with the balance and performance that it offers me in my hunting rifle (yeah this is my current deer rifle).

Describe the performance.

medium palma contour is more than enough for accuracy, a heavier barrel offers nothing more than less felt recoil, according to David Tubb.

I've #1 contoured tubes that will dip low .3's and high .2's fire-forming.

223AI at 21.3" wearing a Rock 1-7" and it is simply a phenom. Have nearly another dozen like chambered rifles running the gamut in their barrel contour/length/twist rates and though an 8" Slut...this dog hunts.

Rocktuckybreakin.jpg

From the Shilen website -

"What about "fluting" a barrel?

Fluting is a service we neither offer nor recommend. If you have a Shilen barrel fluted, the warranty is void. Fluting a barrel can induce unrecoverable stresses that will encourage warping when heated and can also swell the bore dimensions, causing loose spots in the bore. A solid (un-fluted) barrel is more rigid than a fluted barrel of equal diameter. A fluted barrel is more rigid than a solid barrel of equal weight. All rifle barrels flex when fired. Accuracy requires that they simply flex the same and return the same each time they are fired, hence the requirement for a pillar bedded action and free floating barrel. The unrecoverable stresses that fluting can induce will cause the barrel to flex differently or not return from the flexing without cooling down a major amount. This is usually longer than a shooter has to wait for the next shot. The claim of the flutes helping to wick heat away faster is true, but the benefit of the flutes is not recognizable in this regard until the barrel is already too hot."

Just sayin'

Perhaps GAP or Beanland can provide their comments.

They make this blanket statement because not everyone know how to flute correctly. I have had many Shilen barrels fluted. The accuracy was not changed. The reality of fluting to me is: It looks cool. Thats it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedRyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From the Shilen website -

"What about "fluting" a barrel?

Fluting is a service we neither offer nor recommend. If you have a Shilen barrel fluted, the warranty is void. Fluting a barrel can induce unrecoverable stresses that will encourage warping when heated and can also swell the bore dimensions, causing loose spots in the bore. A solid (un-fluted) barrel is more rigid than a fluted barrel of equal diameter. A fluted barrel is more rigid than a solid barrel of equal weight. All rifle barrels flex when fired. Accuracy requires that they simply flex the same and return the same each time they are fired, hence the requirement for a pillar bedded action and free floating barrel. The unrecoverable stresses that fluting can induce will cause the barrel to flex differently or not return from the flexing without cooling down a major amount. This is usually longer than a shooter has to wait for the next shot. The claim of the flutes helping to wick heat away faster is true, but the benefit of the flutes is not recognizable in this regard until the barrel is already too hot."

Just sayin'

Perhaps GAP or Beanland can provide their comments.
</div></div>

In all fairness and as "name" barrels go,Shilen is easily my last choice. Krieger both flutes and cryo's,though won't drop contour in S/S,because they got a bad batch of steel and popped some. Shilen will happily go wayyyyyy below Krieger in S/S contours however and refuses to flute. Of course I have both.

Folks quick to plagiarize,typically shoot the least.

20" MTU contour seems fine. Anything longer and it seems to start to weigh, especially in positional shooting.

Heavy or Med Palma is what I prefer.

Fluting: IMO doesn't really have any tangible benefits and mostly an aesthetic.

What will a 20" MTU in the round do,that a 20" LTR profile won't in your opinion?

Pardon my being new,but in fairness I've both blueprints.

I don't much prefer the handling of my rifle with a super heavy contour. I like a medium or light palma, or a Tubb contour.

Are you typing this while wearing a suit of armor? Same thing,but most are slow at connecting dots.

Myths and Wives Tales die lingering deaths.

Dude, don't know what you're talking about "plagiarizing." And I'm not going to get into it with you. I'm just providing some additional thought to this conversation.

My MOST sincere apologies,were it not you to copy/paste thoughts of another. Sincerely.

I hope to hear your thoughts in regards to your Shilen spouts,both in the round and fluted,as a treatise on how to "treat" their barrels. I can only comment in having multiple examples of both and correlate same,to multiple examples of other Makers if only in fairness.

Thanks!

some one post a pic of all the differet contours

What do you wish to see?

Too much pressure on these light tubes.

NovemberRuttwoA.jpg

Hey Larry, welcome back!

Because they've been reading,far more than shooting.

For starters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Voracious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AR anyone?

DAD_0762.jpg
</div></div>

Dude, are you the lost twin brother of Lowlight? You are almost identical.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Voracious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AR anyone?

DAD_0762.jpg
</div></div>

Dude, are you the lost twin brother of Lowlight? You are almost identical.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
</div></div>

I'm into results and don't fuck around...even a little.

I doubt you'll do the Pun privilege.

Larry, I recall your love for things 7mm/08. Have you ever tried an AI version for shits & giggles?

I shoot 7-08,7-08AI,284Win,280,280AI,7SAUM,7WSM,7Rem and STW.

Do I like the 7-08AI? more than a little.