• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is anybody using a T-Track system to slide their press or presses around?

AbitNutz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2021
SW Ohio
Some time back I had this great idea and use "Inline Fabrication's Quick Change Press Mounting System "so I could change out any piece of equipment. They make top plates for anything and everything. It's worked out better than I could have hoped for, and brother I have a lot of hope.

Recently, I needed to make a new reloading bench or two and decided that I had a great idea (you may not think so). I had seen several of the smarter of us use T-Track so they could slide their presses or equipment anywhere they wanted to along the bench. This looked like something really useful for my new benches. Especially, if I combined it with the Inline Fabrication Quick Change stuff, so a made a 1" thick hardwood sled and topped it with a 3/16th steel plate.

I saw that the "Ultimate Reloader" guy used steel T-tack and said he was going to make a kit available but that never happened. I wanted to use steel T-track but I couldn't find any. Man, I looked hard for it but I couldn't any steel, it was all aluminum. I found some from Armor tool, it's kind of a double-decker affair. I'm not so sure the T-Track itself that's the weak link. I think it's how the T-Track is held to the bench. I'm thinking about drilling some holes through the sled, then through the bench at fairly frequent intervals. I could then drop a pair of bolts through and spin on some wing nuts and lock the sled to the bench instead of just relying on the T-bolts to the T-track.

So that's what I'm doing. It does seem to work pretty well. Is anyone else doing this or something like it? What T-track did you use? How did you make it all work?

In my original plans, yes. I wanted the T-Tracks.

Then, during my temporary set up, I used C Clamps to hold down my presses.

Lets just say I never got around to installing Tracks, and I'm happy I didn't With the amount of stuff I drop on my reload desk tops, I'd had tracks full of junk needing to be vacuumed out.

Just a thought.

• Haha
Reactions: Balor
Yes I do on my bench.
EC1E6CA2-2A14-4830-8BC0-9BDA080691C7.jpeg

Reactions: Balor and Dogtown
I use it on one of my benches. Only a section about 2 feet long so I can use the rest of the bench without worrying about things falling in the tracks. My presses etc are mounted on sheets of aluminum 3/4 to 1" thick about 12" square. I then place felt on the bottom of the aluminum sheets to help sliding across the tracks or across the bench without scratching the bench top. I use aluminum tracks with no problem. A woodworking store named Rockler has lots of t slot kits with all kinds of holddowns. If you are on Rocklers email list they put the t track stuff on sale every now and then.

Reactions: Balor
I dig mine. Some guys say stuff falls down into the tracks and it does, right before I blow it out. no big deal. It's a very versatile setup. I haven't had any issues with the aluminum track I got from Rockler. It has screws every 4" or so plus I glued mine in to boot, no movement, no fuss.

tempImageYdYFLm.jpg

Hartville Hardware sells the track you're talking about.
You can also buy it from other suppliers, but remember this you get what you pay for.
Buy USA made materials.
I went to the Hartville Hardware site and couldn't find the steel T-tracks; can you provide a link?

I considered using T-tracking on my loading bench but decided I didn't want put up with the 2 tracks in my way forever. I decided to use T-nuts instead which mount to the underside of the bench top. I laid out where I wanted to mount my press and other pieces of equipment, drew an outline of the equipment base with a sharpie, drilled the necessary holes, installed the T-nuts and I'm done. Obviously I needed the appropriate number of 1/4x20 bolts to secure the equipment to the bench. Cost of the T-nuts and 1/4"x 20 bolts is one helluva lot cheaper than T-track.
1669659095762.png

Reactions: Baron23
On my previous bench I stripped a couple of the t-nuts shown above. This had to do with the construction on the underside of the bench.
I considered using t-tracks when I built my new bench, but decided I didn't want to have to fish bullets/powder/anything less than 1/4" out of the tracks with my gorilla fingers. So I went a different route...

I mounted my presses to 3/4in plywood blanks that extend to the back of the bench. On the wall behind the bench I mounted a wood strip above the bench to leaving a 3/4 in gap between the top of the bench and the bottom of the wood strip. Now, I can slide my presses wherever I want or remove the entirely and still have a smooth work surface. This has worked out really nice for the past year. I also add a small clamp or two at the front corner. This setup has worked perfectly for me. I first saw the idea several years ago on youtube, but I can't find the video to link it.

If anyone is interested let me know and I'll take some pictures....that will give me an excuse to clear a year's worth of junk out of the way to prep for winter reloading!

“T” track is routinely used by woodworkers when making tables and jigs. Many source the track and hardware through ROCKLER Woodworking stores

I use Amazon cheap-o T tracks to move around a Inline Fab mount. Have not run a press on it but I see no reason why it wouldn't hold.

Attachments

• 20221124_104437.jpg
    20221124_104437.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 20220914_195652.jpg
    20220914_195652.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 146
I set up my reloading bench with the ”heavy duty” aluminum t track that takes 3/8” hex bolts. It’s a handy feature, but has some issues.
1. the aluminum is soft and easily damaged
2. If using multiple sections in a row, it’s best for alignment to inset the front track from the dge of the bench enough that the wood will support both sides of the track. I put my front course on the edge of the bench top, and when i put the screws in, the two sections of track became slightly misaligned. this creates a hang up on the bolts as they slide between the two sections.
If steel track was commercially available I’d switch in an instant. Gavin at UR machined his own from square tubing, which I can’t do.