• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

is charles custom clones legit?

Reactions: fourhourseast
Fuck no! Stay far away! I've got plenty of personal stories from first-hand experience, stories from close friends, and you can find a ton of other stories on ar15.com and the CRA group on Facebook. A few years ago the owner of CCC went to the CRA Facebook group to try and explain why it's fine for him to rip people off on pricing. CCC got absolutely destroyed over that, and many, many ridiculous memes making fun of CCC were made. I might still have some of the memes. The owner of CCC was even talking about how a SOCOM barrel in your asshole is worse than a longer barrel, because "it's the girth that gets ya," or whatever the fuck he wrote. No idea why that was even brought up, but that whole event was unbelievable.

The owner thinks he's justified in taking as much money from you as possible, IF they even have anything in stock! CCC is a big fan of listing shit on their site that they NEVER had in stock, ever, will take payment for the item, not ship anything until the buyer complains months later, then final returns the money. They've done so much other shit than that too, I'm not going to spend the next 2 hours typing up everything that's happened to myself and a dozen+ close friends. PTG is more trustworthy and reliable than CCC. For some reason, Sniper's Hide is probably the only forum I've ever seen where CCC has a decent reputation. Do you own research on other forums and other social media pages. Ask them for their opinions and stories. They'll tell you the same thing. Stay far away, you've been warned.

Just did a quick Google search for "Charlie Custom Clones review" and all sorts of terrible shit pops up. Here's just a few of the links for people who are too lazy to go do their own research:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/P...tting-fraud-and-should-be-avoided/118-784724/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/PSA-Charlies-Custom-Clones-UPDATE-IN-OP-/5-2102608/

reddit.com/r/tacticalgear/comments/14w0yj5/a_big_fat_010_for_charlies_custom_clones_as_a/

reddit.com/r/MilitaryARClones/comments/l4w57g/experience_with_charlies_custom_clones/

https://www.m14forum.com/threads/anyone-have-experience-with-charlie’s-customs.533844/

From post #9 in the M14 Forum thread directly above:

"For people looking at the DD Ross stuff, for example, they stole the listing pic from someone off Snipers Hide and are using that as their stock photo. DD Ross hasn't updated their site since 2018 and I believe they have closed their doors."

"All they did was photoshop away the cardboard background on the original ad."

The original listing:
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/dd-ross-usmc-m1-m40a3-bottom-metal.7147076/

CCC garbage ad:
https://charliescustomclones.com/dd-ross-trigger-guard-for-remington-700-sa-usmc-m40a3/

Last edited:
Fuck no! Stay far away! I've got plenty of personal stories from first-hand experience, stories from close friends, and you can find a ton of other stories on ar15.com and the CRA group on Facebook. For some reason, Sniper's Hide is probably the only forum I've ever seen where CCC has a decent reputation. Stay far away, you've been warned.

@longshot2000

Reactions: baker72
Are you looking for that scope ? If so deal with euro optics.

The S&B SKU is this:
644-911-972-89-64A68

This is the SKU for a non-USMC scope, which can be found for about $2,900. However, you can search for this SKU and see if it's the USMC version, which is $3,500 at EuroOptic and $3,525 (originally $3,850, which is $350 more than EuroOptic) at CCC. So, the USMC version is the same SKU, but it's $600 more and has USMC markings.

EuroOptic is actually the sole importer for S&B scope in the US. Every S&B dealer in the US got their S&B scopes directly from EuroOptic. Thay means that Filip I mean CCC is getting these scopes directly from EuroOptic, qnd then selling them on his site for a higher price. Right now it's only $25 more, but at one point it was $350+ to buy it from a company that just purchases the scope from EuroOptic. Why buy from CCC when you can save money, and buy the scope directly from the the importer (EuroOptic)?

If you buy from CCC, you'll also be waiting longer to get your scope, since they have to first buy it from EuroOptic and have it sent to CCC, then CCC will send it to you. It's virtual inventory, they don't have any of theis shit is stock. Lot of companies have virtual inventory, but those companies make an effort to sell the items for a lower price because they don't have contracts with the manufacturer and aren't held to MAP pricing or whatever. CCC, on the other hand, will raise their price to be even MORE than what a place like EuroOptic is required by contract to sell an item for. Sure, that's capitalism, but customers need to realize this and not shop at the places that are going out of their way to charge customers more than anyone else (to include the companies that are required to sell items for a specific price).

Regardless, why buy this scope from CCC, when EuroOptic is $25 less (it used to be a much larger price difference before CCC had to cut their price), and EuroOptic had an absolutely amazing reputation! EuroOptic is awesome, I only have good things to say about them (as do dozens of my friends who also buy stuff from EuroOptic)!

Last edited:
Reactions: baker72 and Jrb572
I’ve purchased from EuroOptics and Charlie’s, never had a problem with either.
EO will give a small discount for SnipersHide.
Charlie's has some very hard to get items at high prices.
Your choice.
-Richard

Reactions: 1911hombre
The S&B SKU is this:
644-911-972-89-64A68

This is the SKU for a non-USMC scope, which can be found for about $2,900. However, you can search for this SKU and see if it's the USMC version, which is $3,500 at EuroOptic and $3,525 (originally $3,850) at CCC. So, the USMC version is the same SKU, but it's $600 more and has USMC markings.

Does CCC actually carry these S&B USMC scopes? Or do they just take your money, turn around and buy it from EuroOptic, and then ship to the buyer? How is it that ONLY these 2 dealers have this S&B USMC scope (which I originally thought was a EuroOptic exclusive)? Seems a bit odd. It might be nothing, or it might be some shady shit. I wonder if EuroOptic would be able to provide some information to us.

Looking at both sites, it appears that CCC took the photos for this USMC S&B scope directly from EuroOptics site. EuroOptic has changed their photos for this scope over the past year or two, and they take their own photos for most of their product listings, this scope included. If EuroOptic did indeed take their own photos of this scope for the listing (just need to verify this), then the only way that CCC could have possibly gotten the same photos is if they copied them directly from EuroOptic's website

Regardless, why buy this scope from CCC, when EuroOptic is $25 less (it used to be a much larger price difference before CCC had to cut their price), and EuroOptic had an absolutely amazing reputation! EuroOptic is awesome, I only have good things to say about them (as do dozens of my friends who also buy stuff from EuroOptic)!
Euro wont send it to me here in Australia. I thought Charlie might do business is all

Is the S&B part of a licensing agreement that won’t ship to Australia? Or is it ITAR controlled? EO is very careful about export, for good reason.

A bunch of high-end military scopes fall under iTAR and may not be shipped from U.S. to Australia. And Australia “may” restrict import given draconian bans on stuff.

IIRC the list of stuff banned includes even brass catchers and simple items like extended mag releases. I know someone posted it here once.

So EO might not ship because it is illegal. Others might ship because a few hundred $ profit is worth the risk.

But this is speculation on my part. Take it for what it is, but beware what you order from US and make sure it’s exportable/importable!

Cheers!

Sirhr

Reactions: RTH1800
Euro used to ship , I got my 5-25 PMII in 2014 from them though so something may have changed.
A lot of optics are classed as dual use (ie Tac / Hunting) and are fine for export.

Is the S&B part of a licensing agreement that won’t ship to Australia? Or is it ITAR controlled? EO is very careful about export, for good reason.

A bunch of high-end military scopes fall under iTAR and may not be shipped from U.S. to Australia. And Australia “may” restrict import given draconian bans on stuff.

IIRC the list of stuff banned includes even brass catchers and simple items like extended mag releases. I know someone posted it here once.

So EO might not ship because it is illegal. Others might ship because a few hundred $ profit is worth the risk.

But this is speculation on my part. Take it for what it is, but beware what you order from US and make sure it’s exportable/importable!

Cheers!

Sirhr
I believe its both licensing and itar.
Depending on the model of scope.
Its a funny one because I purchased a USMC unertl from the states and had no problems :O

The owner thinks he's justified in taking as much money from you as possible,
There may be a number of reasons this company is no bueno. This isn't one of them. Please educate us as to how much the owner of this business is allowed to charge.

Because he is.

You have choices: pay his price, buy somewhere else, or do without.

People typically have to buy elsewhere because CCC doesn't always have items in stock, even when their site says that the item is in stock and they accept people's money, even though CCC doesn't have the item. That's not a very good way to do business. And people do shop elsewhere, because CCC charges more for the same items that are in stock anywhere else, such as charging $350+ more for an S&B scope that currently in stock at EuroOptic right now. So, no one is "doing without" by not buying something at CCC.

There may be a number of reasons this company is no bueno. This isn't one of them. Please educate us as to how much the owner of this business is allowed to charge.

Yep, CCC is terrible for many reasons, and I also agree with both of you guys. You're both 100% correct, and I should have worded my statement better. We live in a capitalist society, and people can do whatever they want to make money and look out for their own self interests. That being said, my premise which I failed to convey, is that just because you can, doesn't necessarily mean that you should. Do either of you guys remember that Filip guy who bought 8 of the 16 of the USMC S&B M8541 scopes from EuroOptic and then jacked up the price trying to resell them on this forum and Gunbroker? This forum literally melted down over that incident, but that's capitalism, he's doing whatevers best for him. 99% of this site was completely against him doing that, with the main argument being that he should have left the scopes for actual collectors to buy, instead of buying them from a well known dealer and flipping them.

Besides the massive price Filip was charging, how is that any different than CCC buying the USMC M8541 scopes from EuroOptic and originally selling them for hundreds of dollars more than what EuroOptic was charging, when the collector end-user could have just purchased it from EuroOptic to begin with. CCC is getting the scopes from EuroOptic because EuroOptic is the importer for these S&B scopes. He's not much different from Filip, the guy this entire site was against. CCC eventually lowered their scope price, but they still charge more than EuroOptic, the place that they and collectors both are buying these scopes from. In the end, both Filip and CCC are justified in making as much money as possible, it's capitalism, but that really tends to rub buyers the wrong way.

CCC has been known to charge a lot more than other dealers, even for the same item that's still in stock elsewhere. Sometimes it's a little, sometimes it's a lot. Some much so, that entire groups of collectors and cloners have taken notice and have called CCC out on price gouging. A business has to work hard to fail that badly. No matter what, CCC is completely free to do whatever they want, and that's fine, however, it's just not a good way to conduct business if you want to keep a good reputation. It's an even worse idea to make a post on the CRA page trying to explain why they should charge everyone more than other dealers for the same items, especially when groups like the CRA are the very people who are calling out CCC on this issue in the first place. And yet, that's exactly what happened. To answer your question, there is no amount that he's "allowed to charge." No one is forcing CCC to do anything, and they aren't forcing us to buy their overpriced shit.

I concede that I should have done a better job with writing the sentence that both of you guys quoted. Besides that one small piece, CCC has been engaging in terrible business practices, and that's what we should be discussing. I wrote my posts as a warning to others, to provide useful information that might aid potential buyers with making a decision to do business with CCC or to pass them up for a much more reputable vendor. I agree with both of you guys about the freedom and capitalism, and we can now keep this thread going on whether people have useful feedback for the OP.

OP, call them and make sure it’s in stock. They’ve had a history of making things look in stock on the website, then not shipping because it was a drop ship and the supplier was out of stock. Then if you cancel your order they hit you with a restock fee because “you” cancelled. There are many other dealers (and even individual members on the for sale forum here) that pride themselves in customer service. Use them.

I ordered a barrel from them. They took my money, then sent me exactly what I ordered when they said they would send it.

Seems legit to me.

You can't price gouge on a collector item. It's completely non-essential to have, literally nothing more than a hobby or at best an investment, despite how seriously any of us consider said hobby to be.

You can price gouge on baby formula when the biggest producer shuts down production for months on end. You can price gouge on gasoline in a mass evacuation from a major hurricane. You cannot price gouge on something people quite literally have zero "need" to have, as the market reacts and corrects itself through competitive increase of supply or demand reduction from the buyers. Flips immediately saw the latter, and Euro responded soon after with the former, balance was again achieved.

End note on those collectors who view their collection as an investment, hoping it increases in value as supply dries up and demand remains or increases, that's kind of the same thing too and completely fair to do.

NIghtmare stories all over the net about taking money on in stock items to only have them go to backorder as soon as you get a email they took the order. Then maybe 3 months later you get what you ordered

Reactions: USMCSGT0331