• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is falcon menace able to withstand .50BMG?

TacticalSasquach

"No news is good news"
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2008
central virginia
Just got my falcon menace 5-25x56 in, and was intrested in knowing wether or not to sight in on my ba-50 bushmaster.

Will I reduce a $500 scope into trash, or what

Re: Is falcon menace able to withstand .50BMG?

Find that internet video of the troop shooting the Barrett 50 with a 10X fixed mil-spec Schmidt or Swaro (not sure which). You can watch the scope tube flex (bend) under recoil so you may want to rethink using a heavier much more fragile variable in your application.

In that video, it appears that the base is loose from the action...

I tested mine on a .50, but only 15 shots. The scope was actually tightened down and touching the barrel for a few shots, until I found my tools.
A seperate person in Tx put 100 plus rounds down the tube. It broke when they put the scope on backwards.
Don't ask me why they would do such a thing. Supposedly it wouldn't focus anymore.
I have 85 rounds through a .338 lapua on mine also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sotexhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It broke when they put the scope on backwards.
Don't ask me why they would do such a thing. Supposedly it wouldn't focus anymore.</div></div>

Sounds to me like it was functioning fine as designed.

Air rifle scopes are designed to take recoil of 2 directions better.
Maybe if they want to put a scope on a .50 backwards they should use a air rifle scope, or find a better way to spend their time?

Im baffled to figure out what mounting it backwards would test other than the IQ of the testers.

Springer air rifles will eat most scopes for breakfast fairly quickly.

Is your scope a test unit? If not where did you order it?

CJG

pre production unit from rwsnyder. problem is he sold em all.

but from what I gather, he is expecting a shipment any minute of production models,

i cannot speak from experience all i know is that on falcons website the 4-14 ffp is rated up to 338 lapua from the factory

"All model types are factory and real world tested to a recoil standard up to and including .338LM."

Every 50 BMG I have seen usually sports some type of muzzle brake that reduces the recoil substantially. Anywhere from a 243 to a 12 ga type of recoil. Why would a decent scope fail with that type of force?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every 50 BMG I have seen usually sports some type of muzzle brake that reduces the recoil substantially. Anywhere from a 243 to a 12 ga type of recoil. Why would a decent scope fail with that type of force? </div></div>
Because of the brake. When the cartridge is fired there is rearward recoil. When the gasses hit the brake, the recoil forces actually pull the gun foward. You dont feel this of course. I run a 16X Luep. Ultra on my 50, and its held up well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: primer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because of the brake. When the cartridge is fired there is rearward recoil. When the gasses hit the brake, the recoil forces actually pull the gun foward. You dont feel this of course.</div></div>

This is the second time I've heard this. Are you suggesting your forward force from the gas pushing the baffle exceeds the thrust from the muzzle?

Seems to me any forward force capable of damaging a scope would cancel all recoil.

what is the price of a 5-25? I need one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MWDG3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: primer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because of the brake. When the cartridge is fired there is rearward recoil. When the gasses hit the brake, the recoil forces actually pull the gun foward. You dont feel this of course.</div></div>

This is the second time I've heard this. Are you suggesting your forward force from the gas pushing the baffle exceeds the thrust from the muzzle?

Seems to me any forward force capable of damaging a scope would cancel all recoil. </div></div>
I dont know about that, but I do know thats part of the reason why 50's are so hard on scopes.Its not just the rearward recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: primer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MWDG3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: primer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because of the brake. When the cartridge is fired there is rearward recoil. When the gasses hit the brake, the recoil forces actually pull the gun foward. You dont feel this of course.</div></div>

Seems to me any forward force capable of damaging a scope would cancel all recoil. </div></div>
I dont know about that, but I do know thats part of the reason why 50's are so hard on scopes.Its not just the rearward recoil. </div></div>

A muzzle brake directs some of the gas at right angles to the bore and in some cases, some small amount of the gas rearward. Most recoil comes from the impulse of energy to accelerate the projectile.

Think of the relitave propellent load in a BMG vrs a .338, .375, etc. relatively speaking there is not much, mayby 80 grains of propellent.

A 50 has so much more recoil because of the 650-750 gr. bullet vrs. an average small arm bullet that might weigh 1/2 that.

The only rifle that moves backward(whips along the axis of the bore) due to firing a projectile is a air rifle due to the effect of the spring in the rifle.

Check out the thread entitled "scope for a 50bmg"..somebody put a nice graph on there showing the recoil impulse of the rifle and brake...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: primer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the thread entitled "scope for a 50bmg"..somebody put a nice graph on there showing the recoil impulse of the rifle and brake... </div></div>

Assuming that that graph is correct. What it shows is the deceleration of the recoil for the last .25 ms. during the final phase of recoil just prior to the rifle coming to a rest. Absent the muzzle brake the duration of the recoil would last longer than 2 ms.

I don't know where that chart came from, i assume the muzzle brake mfg. but it implies a 700 g acceleration due to the brake. Which exceeds the specific impulse of the bullet by 200 g.??? I wonder about that.

Acceleration means "the change in velocity over time". You are interpeting a rate of change(expressed as "g's") over time to mean a change in direction.

Well, the Barrett 99 ships with a Burris 3200 Elite 10x. Not all "cheap" glass is the same but I've never heard them not to hold up....before replacement that is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neoncabbit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You mean this vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5pVya7eask

</div></div>

is it just me or is that rail on top of that .50 not attached to the top of the reciever?

my ba50 has a solid mounting rail on top, So I assume I have less flex than that