• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is Federal Gold Medal Match brass the same as their hunting ammo brass?

NICKNICK

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2012
Is there any difference between the brass Federal uses for GMM vs. their hunting ammo (Power Shok, Vital Shok, etc.)?

I've been very paranoid about keeping my brass separated by GMM vs. Power Shok, and I was wondering if it was OK to just throw all the once-fired cases into the same container so I can have a bigger pool to choose from.

The headstamps are all the same.

Thanks.

If the headstamps are all the same,throw em all together,Thats all I ever do. Havent had any issues yet,but then again I did just switch to winchester Brass.

You can weigh and sort your brass and take all kinds of measurements on it if you're looking for consistency in your loads.

I think you'll find though, that Federal brass, is Federal brass. They do not differentiate between plinking and match brass.
Federal Premium Ammunition - Components

There is a difference. I just noticed it for the first time tonight after stainless steel tumble.
Only problem is I am not sure which is which. One of them has a little ring around the flash hole, inside the case. The brass is thicker there. These weigh about a grain more than the other brass which has no ring. I think the no-ring version is the FGMM 308, while the ringed version might be 7.62 AE brass.

Last edited:
OK, so I took a picture of it to show the difference. Anyone else seeing this?
FCBrass.jpg
One on the left is the one with the little embosed ring around the flash hole. I have about 100 of these as well as the regular type. Not sure which came from what batch, because like everyone I thought they are all the same (it looks that way from the outside), so I threw them all in the same bucket.

Last edited:
Nick,

The "ring" is actually a depression in the base of the case caused by a newer flash hole forming process. It creates a cleaner flash hole compared to the older process, but can still leave burrs. The burrs caused by the new process tend to be much smaller. I've seen the same thing in newer Winchester, Hornady and Norma brass. As long as the case volume/weight is the same, you shouldn't have any problems.

HTH,
DocB