• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is Hornady worth the extra money

digitalshooter

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2013
Tempe, Az
I've been looking at getting into reloading. I've been looking mainly at the Lee setups. Mainly the the kits like the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit or the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit. But I also just saw the Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Kit which is about $200.00 more than the Lee kits.

Is the Hornady Kit that much better than the Lee Kits to justify the extra $200.00 price tag on the kit?

Right now this would mainly be used for loading 243 caliber ammunition and at a later stage at least 308 caliber.

I can't speak for the Hornady press...However, I do have friends that either love or hate Hornady products.

I can speak for the RCBS Rock Chucker supreme kit that I have and use...It's top notch and worth what I paid for it (I waited for a sale and used my Cabelas points).

My personal opinion: RCBS and Redding have the best presses (RCBS for single-stage and Redding for turret).

Yes it is. The press, powder measure and scale are better units. You also get a trickler, One Shot lube and chamfer/deburr tool not to mention the Hornady reloading manual. Just compare kit to kit.

I grew out of emotional attachment to inanimate objects long ago so I can speak for most presses because I've owned or used most of them. Fact is, there just isn't any qualifiable average difference in what you can do with any presses of the type you're looking at, they're all good.

Both the Hornady and Lee Challenger have alum alloy bodies with steel linkages. The lightly built Challenger is made for common reloading chores, not massive pressure work, but that only matters if you're actually going to do a lot of large case work or do major case reforming ... and few of us do that! All of the other presses (Lyman, Lee, RCBS, Reddding, etc) that look alike have iron bodies and there's not a nickle's worth of difference in the quality of ammo they will make or how long they will last.

On the other hand, Lee's Classic Cast single stage press is all iron/steel, it has a fully adjustable lever, handles spent primers nicely and is quite large. IF the C.C. had been made when I bought my Rock Chucker my main press would be red; it's the better press of it's type at this time, at any price.

Lots of people seem to like the Hornady and Lee 'quick-change' die bushing gimmicks but I'm not one of them; I just don't see them improving anyone's quality of life. Dies only need to be hand tight in the press and I can easily screw-swap dies in less than a minute; we exchange dies once or twice for most work so the "time saved" with costly bushings is trivial!

Good luck!

I think it equates to Toyota Camry vs Lexus ES. Same functionality, one is a little more costly and has more brand appeal. Nothing wrong w/ the Lee. That said, I found a Redding Big Boss kit for a steal at a gunshow years ago and thats what I use. (though I still spill spent primers on the floor :( )

I'm new to reloading and I have the Lee kit. I have never used anything else so I assume the scale can get MUCH better. But it DOES work. The powder thrower isn't that accurate but I just keep it lower then trickle with a spoon. I did a quick search once about tricklers and a lot said to just use a spoon and tap it so I do that now and it works. I don't have a huge operation and I am just learning so I don't need or want to go fast anyway. My feeling is to just get the minimum. The Lee stuff works, but you'll always be seeing recommendations for other stuff that may not be the Lee or Hornady stuff, making both useless in the end, so go the cheap route. That way you can actually save money reloading unless you really want to get into it more, then you can jump to the expensive stuff for your own hobby. Once you have the Lee upgrade as need be. I'm not sure if the hornady comes with a trimmer but if you only shoot one or two cases look into the possum hollow trimmers. One of those plus a used drill press would be less than most trimmers. Plus, I've heard great things about them, especially how fast they work.

I've got a Redding Big Boss II and also a Hornady LNL. Between the two I like my Redding hands down.

RCBS Buy once cry once. I have alot of Lee and Lyman junk

Lee dies are alright. Just don't like their powder drops and presses
Buy some hornady Die rings they are the best.

Last edited:
I was deciding between the Hornady LnL kit and the RCBS kit when I was buying about 4 years ago. I chose the Hornady based on the electronic scale provided and the 500 free 185gr .45ACP bullets I received. Now RCBS has a rebate program I believe that should make the prices similar. I've been very happy with Hornady.

I'd have to say, buy what you can afford, you'll find reloading is a never ending upgrading process. But the one thing you'll most likely keep after all the rest is gone is the press, so buy a quality one.
Even if you bought a Lee kit, and a Rock Chucker, just sell the Lee press right away and expedite the upgrading.

its a ford vs chevy topic. every company puts out lemons. so a company tht standes behind there product and warranties it gets my vote. send an email to all the companies your interested in and see who gets back first. Im suprised Dillon hasnt been mentioned or the COAX. i own a Lee cast tht ive been cranking everything from 50 BMG and down on for awhile and its a great press. shit my 8 and 10 year old have learned minor reloading procedures on it. only thing thts ever broke in my set up was rcbs products literally. are they all bad no but when i tried to get ahold of them, i got send it in, we will diagnose it and there maybe a charge. to my response, its a brand new press.

I did look at Dillon but right now they are out of my price range. Unless you know of where I can get them cheaper than the list price.

I'll echo the 'by once, cry once' credo. I bought a Lee kit and the scale and powder throw just couldn't get the job done. So I took it back to Cabelas and traded it in on a Rock Chucker kit. The rest is reloading history...

I will say though that the Lee press handles spent primers very well.

I went ahead and purchased the Hornady LnL kit. I did look at the Rock Chucker but it wasn't in stock and the Hornady showed as in stock. The Rock Chucker had a free bullet offer or $50.00 rebate. The probably was that there was a disclaimer saying that if you wanted bullets that they might send you the $50.00 instead because of demand. Kind of turned me off on that. If I had wanted the cash I would've asked for it.

I know I'll probably have to wait longer for the bullets from Hornady. But that's still 500 free bullets.

Now all I have to do is decide on what dies to get. Any suggestions about that?

Its like what brand hammer would you buy. Each of us have our personal preferences. I like RCBS presses-but use Redding Dies. All work as advertised. Hornady is best if that's whats in stock and you need it now.

Actually there is a difference in dies, especially bullet seating dies. I vote for the Forster Benchrest Die set. Redding Micrometer seating dies and Forster seating dies make better ammo IME, verified by measurements. I think you will like your press just fine, I have an aquaintance who has one, and even though he like my Coax and Rockchucker better, in helping him get his Hornady set up, with good dies, it makes perfectly fine ammo. My Pops taught me long ago to buy as good of tools as I could afford, and I never regretted it. Plus I like working with good tools, and the feel is usually better than with the cheaper alternative. I'd encourage you to do likewise, but I don't think that your choice as it relates to a press is going to hold you back at all. Buy a good caliper and a trimming system that you like and you'll be well on your way.

Lee classic cast single stage...lee dies....load very accurate ammo...they are not cheap...just not as expensive...I'm very satisfied...

I'd have to say, buy what you can afford, you'll find reloading is a never ending upgrading process. But the one thing you'll most likely keep after all the rest is gone is the press, so buy a quality one.
Even if you bought a Lee kit, and a Rock Chucker, just sell the Lee press right away and expedite the upgrading.
This is very true. All of my reloading gear has been upgraded except for the press! (it's a Hornady LNL)

Or, you could go cheap, and then upgrade later. I have an RCBS Rock-chucker Supreme that I got in a kit, and I like it very well. Sometimes, I wish I had a second press, and have almost bought a second one, but I don't really have room for it now. If you went cheap, you could buy another one later, and then you'd have two.

Started on RCBS rock chucker great press. I own 2 LNL presses with feeders and the LNL classic. Love the products and the service. SO in mu opinion its worth the money.

LEE is the cheapest of cheap reloading equipment. You get what you pay for.

I've had a Loadmaster and a Challenger Classic.
I now run on 2 RCBS Rock Chuckers and a Hornady LnL
Both are worth every bit of the extra $$l

Reloaders with much exerience with different brands know that high price doesn't automatically obtain high performance.

Here is my experience. Lee makes a fine tool for dirt cheap. I bought a Lee classic turret 4 hole kit for a starter. I think i paid something like 85 dollars or so. It was able to do my rifles and pistols, with the pistols being done as a progressive set up. It doesn't seem as precise (small amounts of play here and there) as my newer RC4 which i have swapped all my rifle work to with the exception of my 223 bulk stuff. So what I am trying to get at is that Lee makes a quality piece, but it just doesn't have the glits and glamor of a higher dollar tool. Will it turn out quality ammo, sure thing it will but you will get a little more precision out of the RCBS or Hornady. If you are on a budget, go Lee. If not then spend the extra money on the RCBS or Hornady

I own a Lee Challenger press, Lee Turret Press, and a Hornady LNL AP press. Started with the Lee, eventually moved up to the Hornady. I still use the Lee single stage for loading rifle rounds and priming. The Lee is an excellent press by itself, and the other parts in the kit are a great value for the money, but I would HIGHLY recommend (if you have the cash) to buy the Hornady kit instead. There is a definite quality and tolerance difference between Lee and Hornady, and I am sold on Hornady presses from now on. Not to take away from Lee's fine products, as they are definitely the best value out there, but I really like my Hornady reloading tools

Some drink red koolaid, some drink blue (Dillon). I choose red, and I haven't been disappointed so far. Be sure to check out the Hornady case trimmer. You can use the RCBS 3-way cutter head on the Hornady case trimmer to make .22 and .30 cal trimming a breeze. Probably one of the biggest time savers in brass prep I've seen. It trims, chamfers, and deburrs in one operation. After you try to prep 1000 cases of .223 or .308, spending 50 bucks on the 3-way cutter head will seem like dropping a penny on the sidewalk.