• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is impact actions and PVA still the go to?

TurboTrout

Two Star General
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2020
East Coast
Moving somewhere with a good 1,000+ yard range, figure it’s time to dive into both reloading and building the 6BRA PRS I’ve been meaning to.

Is the 737 action (steel) still the go to?

I’d go bartlein 400MODBB but their turn around time is…long, thinking PVA

Gain twist or left hand, best contour ?

Thinking jewel trigger and ether a MPA competition or that new KRG chassis when it comes out

Anything I’m missing here or should change?

Optics wise going to be a USO fdn.

all this is just my opinion.
The impact is a solid choice for a build. I have been running one since 2017. It has 15,000 rounds plus on it. Still runs like a top, in any conditions. It has good prefit barrel support. I personally haven’t seen or shot a PVA, but I have seen the Impact by stuteville barrels. And they shoot really well.

if your looking at shooting PRS style matches nothing wrong with the BRA, but if aren’t set up to reload BRA yet I’d give the 6gt a look. Nothing wrong with the BR’s but the GT has some advantages over the br.
You’ll like to have some weight in it. I’d go and I shoot heavy varmint/MTU. 26“-28”. I’ll let somebody more expierienced in twists, and such chime in. I just run the regular right hand single twist.

If you‘re a chassis guy, those are good chassis choices.

nothing wrong with a jewel but the trigger tech seems to be the preferred trigger now. I run diamonds in all my guns.

optics can be very personal choice, as everyone eyes are different, so I’d look through as many as you can before you drop the big coin., but I don’t see a lot of USO’s anymore. Could be a regional thing.

the best advice I can give you if you can get out to a local match, and see if the guys will let you check out their set ups. I know when we have new shooters at our club matches almost all the guys will let you finger bang their rifles and most will let you send a round or two. Experience with the actual components is way better than some random internet opinion.

Lots of options out there for actions but the Impact is excellent. Defiance, Zermatt etc all will work also. Just get an action you can get prefit barrels for. Will make life easier later.

PVA does really good work. What barrel depends on what you can get or how long you want to wait. Contour depends on what you want for weight. M24 and up are what most use. Something like an MTU, Proof Comp Contour or Heavy Varmint are all popular. Get something around 26" and in a twist that will stabilize your bullet and you will be fine. Also make sure the chamber is set up properly for your bullet of choice for freebore. And get a good brake on it. Bunch out there like APA, PVA, MDT, Area419 etc. Just look around.

Wouldn't use a Jewell myself but your choice. Seen multiples go down in matches but that was back when matches were more field related. I'd go with a Timney HIT or TT Special or Diamond if it were me.

Chassis is personal choice. Use what you like. Same with optic. Any reason you are choosing the USO?

Lots of options out there for actions but the Impact is excellent. Defiance, Zermatt etc all will work also. Just get an action you can get prefit barrels for. Will make life easier later.

PVA does really good work. What barrel depends on what you can get or how long you want to wait. Contour depends on what you want for weight. M24 and up are what most use. Something like an MTU, Proof Comp Contour or Heavy Varmint are all popular. Get something around 26" and in a twist that will stabilize your bullet and you will be fine. Also make sure the chamber is set up properly for your bullet of choice for freebore. And get a good brake on it. Bunch out there like APA, PVA, MDT, Area419 etc. Just look around.

Wouldn't use a Jewell myself but your choice. Seen multiples go down in matches but that was back when matches were more field related. I'd go with a Timney HIT or TT Special or Diamond if it were me.

Chassis is personal choice. Use what you like. Same with optic. Any reason you are choosing the USO?

I have a deal for half off on the USO

Reactions: Rob01
I wouldn't overlook a Lone Peak Fuzion, if you like 100/0 cocking. Personally I much prefer 100/0 over 50/50.

It's all personal choice. Impacts are good actions, but there's a plethora of actions that are in that same tier. Pick the one that checks the most boxes for you.

As someone getting into reloading, and someone who would like the most from his barrel, why fhe 6GT over 6BRA? Was even looking at a less fuss 6BR, but seems the BRA does better at the range

BRA is a great cartridge. I absolutely love mine.

Easy to reload for, runs great with the appropriate mags, and fire forming is a breeze.

You can't go wrong with a BRA, there's no real downsides, except for a lack of factory ammo (if you even care about that, I don't).

Reactions: TurboTrout
Impact: gtg
MODBB: not worth the price for BRA, personally I’d look for a prefit based on a standard bartlein barrel blank from Stuteville, Southern Precision Rifles, or Altus.
Skip the Jewell and get a TT Diamond or BIX N ANDY

Any chassis that sets you free. I’ve had good luck with MDT, MPA and XLR. I have a KRG as well but it’s not my favorite.

Be sure to go .237 bore over .236.

I use a 4-groove 1-7:5 twist Krieger, and it's an absolute hammer.

Be sure to go .237 bore over .236.

I use a 4-groove 1-7:5 twist Krieger, and it's an absolute hammer.

What ranges are your shooting at?

One do the reasons for this build is wanting more distance than my 308 seemed happy at.

Impacts and Lone Peaks are probably your best bet for a 90 degree bolt throw, Rem 700 footprint, pre-fit capable gun that will run in almost any condition.

+1 on trigger tech or Bix &Andy. Triggers failing at a match ready sucks. Jewels are not made for those harsh conditions.

I’m going to try a Terminus Zeus QC action because I like 60 degree bolt throws and legitimately will use the quick change feature going between a 223 practice barrel to a 6mm dasher barrel for comps often. Neither the impact or Lone Peak have a quick change feature. It’s not hard to swap a barrel without it, just requires a barrel vice, Action wrench and torque wrench. I don’t always want to lug those to the range and do the swap out of the back of my vehicle on the trailer hitch though.

6BRA is a good cartridge, 6GT has the supposed advantage of not needing a mag kit but actually does in many instances. 6GT does have factory ammo which is cool.

I just went 6Dasher after burning my first GT barrel out at about 1300 rounds. Will get me more barrel life hopefully and Alpha 6 dasher brass means no fire forming, just load and shoot. I don’t think BRA has that option yet.

Ballistically the 6mm’s are all mostly the same. Brass availability, fire-forming and barrel life are the bigger differences.

Impacts and Lone Peaks are probably your best bet for a 90 degree bolt throw, Rem 700 footprint, pre-fit capable gun that will run in almost any condition.

+1 on tiger tech or Bix &Andy.

I’m going to try a Terminus Zeus QC action because I like 60 degree bolt throws and legitimately will use the quick change feature going between a 223 practice barrel to a 6mm dasher barrel for comps often. Neither the impact or Lone Peak have a quick change feature. It’s not hard to swap a barrel without it, just requires a barrel vice, Action wrench and torque wrench. I don’t always want to lug those to the range and do the swap out of the back of my vehicle on the trailer hitch.

6BRA is a good cartridge, 6GT has the supposed advantage of not needing a mag kit but actually does in many instances. 6GT does have factory ammo which is cool.

I just went 6Dasher after burning my first GT barrel out at about 1300 rounds. Will get me more barrel life hopefully and Alpha 6 dasher brass means no fire forming, just load and shoot. I don’t think BRA has that option yet.

C9E7BAB0-9EFA-4A7E-AAB4-8968931AFBC7.jpeg
71373069-3A0F-4EE3-941E-E5266F5612DD.jpeg

@hookedonbrass, that is cool for BRA guys. I haven’t been looking long but haven’t seen the 6BRA in stock yet. Good there’s that option now though.

Not being snarky, I’m curious why 6 BRA seems on the rise vs 6Dasher? BRA is probably easier to fireform?

Last edited:

+1 on trigger tech or Bix &Andy. Triggers failing at a match ready sucks. Jewels are not made for those harsh conditions.

I’m going to try a Terminus Zeus QC action because I like 60 degree bolt throws and legitimately will use the quick change feature going between a 223 practice barrel to a 6mm dasher barrel for comps often. Neither the impact or Lone Peak have a quick change feature. It’s not hard to swap a barrel without it, just requires a barrel vice, Action wrench and torque wrench. I don’t always want to lug those to the range and do the swap out of the back of my vehicle on the trailer hitch though.

Ballistically the 6mm’s are all mostly the same. Brass availability, fire-forming and barrel life are the bigger differences.

This is interesting, the idea of being able to go to 223 would be nice

What is involved, seems you have to pull the receiver, can any of these be swapped with the scope, receiver in place in the chassis?

Last edited:
Not being snarky, I’m curious why 6 BRA seems on the rise vs 6Dasher? BRA is probably easier to fireform?
That’s it. Easier complete forming with bra over the dasher. Well a longer neck too but you’ll be hard pressed to find that dimensions effect once you set the calipers down.
But with both having factory headstamped cases available now that’s not really a big variable anymore.

This is interesting, the idea of being able to go to 223 would be nice
It’s pretty cool man, I shoot a 223 Ackley Barrel on my Bighorn Origin for positional practice and on paper. My close range goes to 550 yards and an 88 grain ELD-M going 2800 fps matches up pretty close to a 6mm for drop and wind to that range.

I think the QC option will make swapping back to my match barrel more efficient and painless.

You can also get a Lone Peak or Impact, have a West Texas Ordnance switch lug installed and it’s now a quick change. The downside is standard pre-fits don’t work, you have to get a switch lug specific pre-fit from there.

The spare 223 bolt will also cost you with any of those, about $400 each. And the wait time on a Terminus Zeus is 3-4 months right now, fyi. They’re in high demand and owner has had issues getting firing pins.

If you want cheap accurate barrels, a quick change feature and cheap swappable bolt heads give the Seekins HIT rifle a close look. Arguably not as smooth as a Lone Peak or Impact but has a lot of great features in a factory rifle.

Impacts are great actions! I love mine. If your going 90 degree then the impact is probably my favourite followed by the kelbly’s. I haven’t put my hands on a lone peak but the new few I’ll be building will be falkor and lone peak to try. If your going 60 degree then the terminus Zeus is incredible as well.

As for barrels and calibers, I’m partial to the 6bra. Super easy to form. Just load 6bra normal and shoot.. done! Great brass between Lapua 6br and alpha 6bra. Incredible easy and super accurate including the forming loads. I run a 7.5 twist, heavy varmint and mtu. Basically the same thing.

For chassis is personal preference. I have krg bravo, krg whiskey 3, mdt acc and mpa comp. all are excellent. I have the most time behind the whiskey 3 and love how it fits me. The mpa grip and thumb shelf though I prefer. I have very little time behind the acc as it’s brand new but will be adding a thumb shelf.

Optics are personal preference. Everyone sees things differently. Also some features and reticles are preferred by some and hated by others.

It’s pretty cool man, I shoot a 223 Ackley Barrel on my Bighorn Origin for positional practice and on paper. My close range goes to 550 yards and an 88 grain ELD-M going 2800 fps matches up pretty close to a 6mm for drop and wind to that range.

I think the QC option will make swapping back to my match barrel more efficient and painless.

You can also get a Lone Peak or Impact, have a West Texas Ordnance switch lug installed and it’s now a quick change. The downside is standard pre-fits don’t work, you have to get a switch lug specific pre-fit from there.

The spare 223 bolt will also cost you with any of those, about $400 each. And the wait time on a Terminus Zeus is 3-4 months right now, fyi. They’re in high demand and owner has had issues getting firing pins.

If you want cheap accurate barrels, a quick change feature and cheap swappable bolt heads give the Seekins HIT rifle a close look. Arguably not as smooth as a Lone Peak or Impact but has a lot of great features in a factory rifle.

So with the terminus it’s 60 degrees, which I like, any draw back from the impact?

Also can the barrel be simply changed out of the chassis(ed) rifle in the field, or would I be removing the scope, receiver, etc?

Thanks for all the info!

As someone getting into reloading, and someone who would like the most from his barrel, why fhe 6GT over 6BRA? Was even looking at a less fuss 6BR, but seems the BRA does better at the range
BRA is better than the BR as you get out farther. The GT even more. But it’s kinda incremental. You are giving up a little barrel life with the GT, but gaining performance. The BR cases are super to easy to load for but I haven’t heard of anybody complaining about the GT being fussy. I’ve seen a couple of GT barrels shoot .5 moa with a random break-in load.

I shoot out west and sometimes we are shooting at distance, and In the wind. The extra performance of the GT helps. Like 150-200 fps over a BR.

It is nice that you don’t have to buy dedicated mags (avoid MDT for the GT.) or kits with the GT but I think it’s only a small plus as the feeding issue problems have been engineered out over the past few years for the BRs.

If most of your shooting is 800 and in, I think they are all a wash. If you are already stocked for brass and dies for the BRs I wouldn’t switch. Starting from scratch it’s the way I’d go. I will say you have better brass options with the BRs but I have used the GAP brass (Hornady) and it is better than their creedmoor offerings.

So with the terminus it’s 60 degrees, which I like, any draw back from the impact?

Also can the barrel be simply changed out of the chassis(ed) rifle in the field, or would I be removing the scope, receiver, etc?

Thanks for all the info!

60 degree bolt throws are heavier then 90’s. Some people are bothered by it, some don’t care. I have both. Both are great actions! The quick change feature is nice and works great. It’s 2 set screws at the front of the action you just back off slightly and start unthreading the barrel. Slide the new barrel on or the same one after cleaning, thread it in until it stops, tighten both set screws and back to shooting. If it is a different caliber you may need a new bolt depending on which caliber (6bra and 223 you would need a new bolt).

It depends on how low the scope is, which chassis. The barrel cannot be changed in my whiskey 3 enclosed due to the covered from the chassis. But the mpa or non enclosed I can change in the chassis.

Between the 2 actions it’s seriously personal preference. I love both the same. I prefer the impact build due to the caliber (6bra) ever so slightly over my terminus (25 creed). These are my 2 favourites but something about the bra I just enjoy so much which makes me favor that rifle. If the terminus was a 6bra then I wouldn’t be able to choose I don’t think

60 degree bolt throws are heavier then 90’s. Some people are bothered by it, some don’t care. I have both. Both are great actions! The quick change feature is nice and works great. It’s 2 set screws at the front of the action you just back off slightly and start unthreading the barrel. Slide the new barrel on or the same one after cleaning, thread it in until it stops, tighten both set screws and back to shooting. If it is a different caliber you may need a new bolt depending on which caliber (6bra and 223 you would need a new bolt).

It depends on how low the scope is, which chassis. The barrel cannot be changed in my whiskey 3 enclosed due to the covered from the chassis. But the mpa or non enclosed I can change in the chassis.

Between the 2 actions it’s seriously personal preference. I love both the same. I prefer the impact build due to the caliber (6bra) ever so slightly over my terminus (25 creed). These are my 2 favourites but something about the bra I just enjoy so much which makes me favor that rifle. If the terminus was a 6bra then I wouldn’t be able to choose I don’t think
You could just…get a 6BRA barrel for your Terminus. 😉

How do you compare the bolt throw green the two? More specifically; lift and cycle.

What ranges are your shooting at?

One do the reasons for this build is wanting more distance than my 308 seemed happy at.

Unfortunately not shooting very far these days - just don't have any places that are in a reasonable distance where I can shoot at any distance.

That said, knowing the ballistics of the 6BRA, it certainly can be competitive out to 1200+ yards. Consistency trump's velocity, which is where the 6BRA really shines. It's very easy to develop a load that is extremely consistent.

Reactions: Matt_3479
BRA is better than the BR as you get out farther. The GT even more. But it’s kinda incremental. You are giving up a little barrel life with the GT, but gaining performance. The BR cases are super to easy to load for but I haven’t heard of anybody complaining about the GT being fussy. I’ve seen a couple of GT barrels shoot .5 moa with a random break-in load.

I shoot out west and sometimes we are shooting at distance, and In the wind. The extra performance of the GT helps. Like 150-200 fps over a BR.

It is nice that you don’t have to buy dedicated mags (avoid MDT for the GT.) or kits with the GT but I think it’s only a small plus as the feeding issue problems have been engineered out over the past few years for the BRs.

If most of your shooting is 800 and in, I think they are all a wash. If you are already stocked for brass and dies for the BRs I wouldn’t switch. Starting from scratch it’s the way I’d go. I will say you have better brass options with the BRs but I have used the GAP brass (Hornady) and it is better than their creedmoor offerings.

I got nothing for reloading, so it’ll be from scratch. Local range goes a touch past 1,000yrds

The biggest advantage I saw with the gt at first over the br variants was the benefit of the regular mags. With the new br mags I don’t see this as an advantage any more. The kits and the mdt mags are awesome and work flawless.

The slight added velocity comes with slightly more recoil, powder and less barrel life. I think if the guarantee of the added velocity was for sure then it would be a plus but it seems majority of people run them in the bra/dasher range. So why waste barrel life, powder and lesser brass. I know they can be pushed harder but I see most running in the upper 2800’s lower 2900’s

Thanks for all the info!
Here’s a video to illustrate how the QC feature works:

In my XLR , even with the night vision hood over the barrel there will be no removing the optic or anything. Loosen 2 set screws, unscrew barrel, screw new barrel in and tighten set screws. Change mag and bolt if going to a different size case head (I.e 223 to 308 or 308 to 6.5 PRC).

There will likely be offset between different barrels. In my experience with AI’s it’s pretty minimal but you will either want to measure off-set and compensate in your ballistics solver OR re-zero between barrel swaps.

As for 60 vs 90, it’s a preference thing, like others said. Traditionally 60 degrees can be a stiffer bolt lift but Joel overcame this issue by installing a ball bearing to assist the bolt lift while it’s camming along the ramp. I played with a Terminus Apollo lite and the bolt lift was fine, that’s Titanium action so I expect my steel Zeus to be slightly better.

Here’s a video to illustrate how the QC feature works:

In my XLR , even with the night vision hood over the barrel there will be no removing the optic or anything. Loosen 2 set screws, unscrew barrel, screw new barrel in and tighten set screws. Change mag and bolt if going to a different size case head (I.e 223 to 308 or 308 to 6.5 PRC).

There will likely be offset between different barrels. In my experience with AI’s it’s pretty minimal but you will either want to measure off-set and compensate in your ballistics solver OR re-zero between barrel swaps.

As for 60 vs 90, it’s a preference thing, like others said. Traditionally 60 degrees can be a stiffer bolt lift but Joel overcame this issue by installing a ball bearing to assist the bolt lift while it’s camming along the ramp. I played with a Terminus Apollo lite and the bolt lift was fine, that’s Titanium action so I expect my steel Zeus to be slightly better.

Ha! I saw that same video a few minutes ago.

But with a MPA chassis seems it low enough I could probably swap the barrel out without further disassembly

Having a 6BRA and a 223 in the same gun would be awesome

I have 4 impacts. And on barrel number 5 this season with Stuteville 6GT. The GT allows you to play with your velocity... Slow at 2600, 2800... Or go fast at 3000 without issues. I've done it all. I keep mine at 2830 now. My 6th barrel arrives on Tuesday.

Would highly recommend. Impact is easy button and works in all conditions.

The biggest advantage I saw with the gt at first over the br variants was the benefit of the regular mags. With the new br mags I don’t see this as an advantage any more. The kits and the mdt mags are awesome and work flawless.

The slight added velocity comes with slightly more recoil, powder and less barrel life. I think if the guarantee of the added velocity was for sure then it would be a plus but it seems majority of people run them in the bra/dasher range. So why waste barrel life, powder and lesser brass. I know they can be pushed harder but I see most running in the upper 2800’s lower 2900’s
Agree 100%. I went for the GT and ran it with H4350 and a 109 hybrid around 2880 fps. That’s BRA/Dasher speed easy. And I still burned out the barrel before 1500 rounds (if my rough estimate was even close). I was not particularly easy on it during range trips and the last 3 1 day matches I shot were all over 90 degrees, probably didn’t help.

For reloading: 6BRA,6Dasher or even a 28” straight 6BR. Easy to find a load, consistent and longer barrel life for a 6mmm.
If not reloading: 6creedmoor or 6GT 6GT might be slightly less finicky but either should shoot in a quality rifle plenty good to win matches.

@TurboTrout , honestly you don’t need to reload to shoot 1000 yds or even win matches. There’s whole threads dedicated to this issue but I myself would rather be shooting than reloading. After buying all the gadgets I don’t think I save any money and I spend a lot more time.

If I was in your shoes I’d think really hard about buying a pallet of 6GT or 6 Creedmoor ammo and spend extra time doing Kraft drills, going to training and matches. MAYBE buy a barrel tuner to squeeze every ounce of accuracy out but any of the guns were discussing will likely shoot 1/2 moa with factory match ammo.

You could just…get a 6BRA barrel for your Terminus. 😉

How do you compare the bolt throw green the two? More specifically; lift and cycle.
Hahaha I would but I really do love the 25’s. I just wish I went with a 25x47 Lapua instead. I don’t need 2 6bra’s… atleast I don’t think lol.

Well they are very different. The weight of the terminus bolt lift is much heavier being a 60 degree. But the overall cycle is incredibly smooth! The terminus almost closes itself!

The impact is very very light bolt lift. Also very very smooth. I’m equally as fast with both of them id say. I have 2400 ish rounds with the impact and 800 ish rounds with the terminus. I prefer certain things from both actions. I really don’t think you could make a bad choice!

Reactions: verdugo60
Hahaha I would but I really do love the 25’s. I just wish I went with a 25x47 Lapua instead. I don’t need 2 6bra’s… atleast I don’t think lol.

Well they are very different. The weight of the terminus bolt lift is much heavier being a 60 degree. But the overall cycle is incredibly smooth! The terminus almost closes itself!

The impact is very very light bolt lift. Also very very smooth. I’m equally as fast with both of them id say. I have 2400 ish rounds with the impact and 800 ish rounds with the terminus. I prefer certain things from both actions. I really don’t think you could make a bad choice!
I’ve been resisting the urge to try a quarter bore, they do seem neat for certain applications. At this point though I’m trying to streamline my reloading supplies. 105/109 hybrids for the match guns and common bullets in 6.5 and 223. Shortages suck but seem to be the reality for good.

I’ve been resisting the urge to try a quarter bore, they do seem neat for certain applications. At this point though I’m trying to streamline my reloading supplies. 105/109 hybrids and 6.5 and 556 eld-m’s for the Creedmoor and 223. Shortages suck but seem to be the reality for good.
Hahaha I need to do that! I actually prefer the quarter bore for everything. I significantly prefer it over the 6.5’s and my 6 creed but once i got my bra it changed. The lack of recoil and simplicity of how stupid accurate they are made me love the br’s. If everything was equal as far as ease of loading the 25’s would be back in the running lol. If those bloody blackjacks ever become available again!!

I just keep adding more and more calibers! I realy need to stop. Im on a big of a personal challenge to try as many different actions as possible, and every time I buy another action I build a different caliber lol. So now I’m loading 20 tac, 223, 6bra, 6 creed, 25 creed, 260 and 300 Norma. With works on a few more. There’s 2-4 more actions I need to try then I’m done I hope

Agree 100%. I went for the GT and ran it with H4350 and a 109 hybrid around 2880 fps. That’s BRA/Dasher speed easy. And I still burned out the barrel before 1500 rounds (if my rough estimate was even close). I was not particularly easy on it during range trips and the last 3 1 day matches I shot were all over 90 degrees, probably didn’t help.

For reloading: 6BRA,6Dasher or even a 28” straight 6BR. Easy to find a load, consistent and longer barrel life for a 6mmm.
If not reloading: 6creedmoor or 6GT 6GT might be slightly less finicky but either should shoot in a quality rifle plenty good to win matches.

@TurboTrout , honestly you don’t need to reload to shoot 1000 yds or even win matches. There’s whole threads dedicated to this issue but I myself would rather be shooting than reloading. After buying all the gadgets I don’t think I save any money and I spend a lot more time.

If I was in your shoes I’d think really hard about buying a pallet of 6GT or 6 Creedmoor ammo and spend extra time doing Kraft drills, going to training and matches. MAYBE buy a barrel tuner to squeeze every ounce of accuracy out but any of the guns were discussing will likely shoot 1/2 moa with factory match ammo.

What’s the price difference per round for 6GT bought vs BRA reloaded?

What’s the price difference per round for 6GT bought vs BRA reloaded?
You’ll have to research that, not going to do all your work for you. 😉 It really depends on what reloading equipment you’re going to get, component costs at the time, etc.

You could easily drop thousands of dollars on reloading equipment, most of us have.

If you want to learn to reload as a hobby and keep lots of components on hand for SHTF or whatever then great. Just know it’s a significant time and equipment investment. There’s a learning curve to making good ammo, even with an easy-to-tune 6BR variant.

6mm 105/109 Berger hybrids are $50-70 per hundred when you can even find them.

Brass is $130 per 100.

Primers are $80-$100 per brick of 1k if you can find them.

H4350/Varget is now $400+ per 8 lb jug IF YOU CAN FIND IT. (35 grains of powder per cartridge) 7000 grains in a lb of powder.

Getting the picture?

The stuff is hard to find and takes a big up front investment in equipment and time to do well.

Or you could shoot 6 creed or 6GT factory ammo and sell the once fired brass on here to recoup costs. If you go that route buy ALOT of one kind of ammo, of the same lot, so next election cycle, monkey/China pox, Anti-fuckthemselves, you have ammo to shoot when it disappears for a year +.

Hahaha I need to do that! I actually prefer the quarter bore for everything. I significantly prefer it over the 6.5’s and my 6 creed but once i got my bra it changed. The lack of recoil and simplicity of how stupid accurate they are made me love the br’s. If everything was equal as far as ease of loading the 25’s would be back in the running lol. If those bloody blackjacks ever become available again!!

I just keep adding more and more calibers! I realy need to stop. Im on a big of a personal challenge to try as many different actions as possible, and every time I buy another action I build a different caliber lol. So now I’m loading 20 tac, 223, 6bra, 6 creed, 25 creed, 260 and 300 Norma. With works on a few more. There’s 2-4 more actions I need to try then I’m done I hope
Yeah, the 131 blackjacks are no more I’m afraid. Don’t back order them either, rumor is they’re going bankrupt but will take your money and you’ll never get your bullets.

You’ll have to research that, not going to do all your work for you. 😉 It really depends on what reloading equipment you’re going to get, component costs at the time, etc.

You could easily drop thousands of dollars on reloading equipment, most of us have.

If you want to learn to reload as a hobby and keep lots of components on hand for SHTF or whatever then great. Just know it’s a significant time and equipment investment. There’s a learning curve to making good ammo, even with an easy-to-tune 6BR variant.

6mm 105/109 Berger hybrids are $50-70 per hundred when you can even find them.

Brass is $130 per 100.

Primers are $80-$100 per brick of 1k if you can find them.

H4350/Varget is now $400+ per 8 lb jug IF YOU CAN FIND IT. (35 grains of powder per cartridge) 7000 grains in a lb of powder.

Getting the picture?

The stuff is hard to find and takes a big up front investment in equipment and time to do well.

Or you could shoot 6 creed or 6GT factory ammo and sell the once fired brass on here to recoup costs. If you go that route buy ALOT of one kind of ammo, of the same lot, so next election cycle, monkey/China pox, Anti-fuckthemselves, you have ammo to shoot when it disappears for a year +.

I also have a 308 and pistols and ARs 30-30s etc,be nice to get into it, I also like to geek out on this type of stuff too, couple grand in the long run ain’t that bad.

I agree on the GT. I would go with it all day over a BR just for not having to mess with mags. Both will work but the older I get the more I want simplicity in my shooting. Just buying brass and loading or buying ammo. No fireforming, mag kits, etc. Simple. I hate loading anyways and always have. Just a means to an end. LOL

Reactions: High Desert duck
I agree on the GT. I would go with it all day over a BR just for not having to mess with mags. Both will work but the older I get the more I want simplicity in my shooting. Just buying brass and loading or buying ammo. No fireforming, mag kits, etc. Simple. I hate loading anyways and always have. Just a means to an end. LOL
Seems to be a lot of stories about the GT not feeding great without mag kits. Works with some people's setups, not so much in others. Doesn't sound nearly as plug and play as was intended.

It's easy to get BR's to feed properly. Between dedicated mags and mag kits, it's not difficult to get them to feed with today's equipment.

Seems to be a lot of stories about the GT not feeding great without mag kits. Works with some people's setups, not so much in others. Doesn't sound nearly as plug and play as was intended.

It's easy to get BR's to feed properly. Between dedicated mags and mag kits, it's not difficult to get them to feed with today's equipment.
Just going by my buddy's GAP rifle with the GT. Runs fine in mis AICS mags. I run a 6 Creed and feeds great in every mag. No kits needed. LOL Simplicity. ;)

Reactions: kthomas
I’m with @Rob01 on simplicity. Not the route I went and I’m invested now, lol.

As far as 6GT, my experience has been that single stack AICS mags feed with no alteration in most actions/chassis.

AW mags have not worked without a kit in my Lone Peak, tried them in a Foundation with Hawkins bottom metal and an XLR Envy and both would need the spacer to feed properly.

ARC mags with LRI followers will feed until they choke in the heavy dust you get in UT,ID, CO,WY.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob01
$1.80 per round isn’t bad these days, especially if you can sell brass for 30 cents per case to reloaders.

6creedmoor can be had even cheaper and there’s more companies making ammo for it.

$1.80 per round isn’t bad these days, especially if you can sell brass for 30 cents per case to reloaders.

6creedmoor can be had even cheaper and there’s more companies making ammo for it.

Hmm, that’s not toooooo bad, but seems like if you’re going to play this game, reloading is part of the journey, no?

Also be nice to pump out 9mm and other high consumption rounds.

I certainly won't argue against simplicity. There's definitely something to be said about keeping things simple.

That said, I love my 6BRA and there has been nothing difficult about it. Many great 6mm options for us to choose from, hard to make a bad choice. It's really just small nuances that separates all of them.

Hmm, that’s not toooooo bad, but seems like if you’re going to play this game, reloading is part of the journey, no?
Reloading if you're heavy into competition. But if you have a heavy wallet, then 300 pallets of factory ammo is easy button. 😆😆

Reloading if you're heavy into competition. But if you have a heavy wallet, then 300 pallets of factory ammo is easy button. 😆😆

Easy isn’t always the most fun.

My first AR I built up from a raw 80%, it was 7000 series so extra fun to machine, had it type III coated, built it up top shelf, great rifle and I felt I knew the weapon far better than just ordering something off the rack.

Reloading seems just a natural progression if one is into firearms, one I feel I should have gotten into years ago

Easy isn’t always the most fun.

My first AR I built up from a raw 80%, it was 7000 series so extra fun to machine, had it type III coated, built it up top shelf, great rifle and I felt I knew the weapon far better than just ordering something off the rack.

Reloading seems just a natural progression if one is into firearms, one I feel I should have gotten into years ago
Does one reload to shoot, or shoot to reload? 😆

I reload 100% everything I shoot, doesn't mean it's joyful.😮

Does one reload to shoot, or shoot to reload? 😆

I reload 100% everything I shoot, doesn't mean it's joyful.😮

I’m looking forward to the journey.

This rifle is half because I have a great PRS range local to me, but also half to get me into reloading. Easy to not reload when you’re shooting 223/308/9/40/22/etc