• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Is it a Krieger or Douglas

nzgrip

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
So i finally get my rifle back from the smith after fitting a new barrel and scope rail, i wanted a Krieger barrel but he has stamped it Doug Prem. So do i have a Krieger that he has stamped incorrectly or do i have a Douglas? Is there any way to tell the difference? I'm sure i could ask him and he could say its a krieger but how would i know, he could just say what i want to hear.

Re: Is it a Krieger or Douglas

How would we know what barrel you have? Call your smith and ask him. The only way to tell is by number of grooves, type of rifeling, and twist.

Ok maybe i wasn't clear. i'm not asking you what i have, i'm wondering what i have. I'm asking if there is a way to tell the difference between a Krieger and a Douglas. As i also said, i can ask him and he can tell me but i still don't know if he is telling me the truth or just covering his ass. So is there a way to tell the difference???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who cares? Shoot it...then bitch, if necessary </div></div>

I do. if you paid $955 for a Krieger Barrel and got a Douglas Barrel would you still say that??

I hate to say it but it looks like your gunsmith screwed you out of a Krieger barrel.I would be pissed if i paid for a Krieger barrel and recieved something different. Krieger M1 Garand & M14 barrels are stamped Krieger.Krieger will stamp the name on a bolt barrel only if they install the barrel.

Frank White gets $300 for Douglas, $400 for Krieger, on the .22 ; for a 33% premium, I would got what I paid for.

I'm not saying one is beter or worse than the other, i didn't ask him to engrave the brand name on it. What i did is take an action to a smith, he recommended Krieger. I paid for a krieger and asked him to make it 24" and fit it to my action. He also said he would sweat on a blank scope rail and machine it on the action. 9 months later i get it back with a 27" barrel stamped Doug Prem and what appears to be a EGW alloy scope rail. It's not about label bashing, it's about getting what i asked and paid for. I just asked a simple question.

contact kreiger and ask them how to ID one of their barrels after installation

First off contact the gunsmith who did your barrel job and ask him which barrel he used. Trying to do forensics on a barrel to determine the brand will drive you and the board members here nuts and you’ll probably never determine the barrel maker. A simple call to your gunsmith will answer any and all of your questions. It may have come down to supply and demand. I waited almost a year for my custom Bartlein barrel, a few times my gunsmith asked if I wanted to change to a barrel he had in stock to speed up the process.

He made a recommendation for a Krieger barrel and you agreed. Even so if he substituted a Douglas barrel he should have informed you first and asked your permission. Was the Krieger barrel ordered to custom specifications, or was that left up to your gunsmith? Meaning custom inside bore diameter, twist rate and twist type? I don’t really consider barrel length, outside bore diameter and even most twist profiles custom options, rather standard options. If he did substitute a Douglas barrel did it meet the same barrel specs that you ordered?

To be honest it sounds as though you let your gunsmith make barrel and option recommendations for your rifle project based on his professional experience. He may have been notified by Krieger that they were backlogged and your barrel was delayed so he made the decision to change barrel makers to get your job completed. Stop driving yourself crazy, call and have a talk with your smith. Take the rifle out and put some rounds through it, more than likely you’ll be satisfied at the way it shoots and it’s probably a tac driver. If it is a Douglas barrel you have nothing to worry about as they make outstanding barrels, other than that was not what was agreed upon.

Kreiger is normally a 4 groove barrel unless you spec a 5R, which is fairly new for them. Douglas is normally a 6 groove. Maybe this will get you started in the right direction. Maybe I should say both manufactures will make either, but unless you spec they will make what I would call their standard Krieger-4 groove, Douglas-6 groove.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff in TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off contact the gunsmith who did your barrel job and ask him which barrel he used. Trying to do forensics on a barrel to determine the brand will drive you and the board members here nuts and you’ll probably never determine the barrel maker. A simple call to your gunsmith will answer any and all of your questions. It may have come down to supply and demand. I waited almost a year for my custom Bartlein barrel, a few times my gunsmith asked if I wanted to change to a barrel he had in stock to speed up the process.

If you specifically ordered a Krieger and he substituted a Douglas barrel he should have informed you first and asked your permission. Was the Krieger barrel ordered to custom specifications? Meaning custom inside bore diameter, twist rate and twist type? I don’t really consider length an outside bore diameter custom options, rather standard options. If he did substitute a Douglas barrel did it meet the same barrel specs that you ordered?

At almost a $1K I have to say that’s the most expensive barrel job I’ve heard of. I’m assuming he did other work on the rifle/barrel other than a standard barrel job? Stop driving yourself crazy, call and have a talk with your smith. Take the rifle out and put some rounds through it, more than likely you’ll be satisfied at the way it shoots and it’s probably a tac driver. If it is a Douglas barrel you have nothing to worry about as they make outstanding barrels, other than that was not what you requested.

As for me, I would be highly upset with my gunsmith if he deviated from the work I contracted him to do without notifying me first.
</div></div>

The barrel was on the shelf, he said grab one and write you name on it. The Blank was NZ$695 and NZ$160 to chamber and fit. We get shafted on most things over here. There is a US$400 import licence fee for international sales, so i guess thats why they charge so much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triple 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kreiger is normally a 4 groove barrel unless you spec a 5R, which is fairly new for them. Douglas is normally a 6 groove. Maybe this will get you started in the right direction. </div></div>

Thanks for that, it's got 4 grooves so sounds like he just stamped it wrong. He's in his 80's now and half retired. As far as just shooing it, i first have to media blast it, paint it, and glass bed the action. So i just wanted to sort it before i finish it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dazza</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not saying one is beter or worse than the other, i didn't ask him to engrave the brand name on it. What i did is take an action to a smith, he recommended Krieger. I paid for a krieger and asked him to make it 24" and fit it to my action. He also said he would sweat on a blank scope rail and machine it on the action. 9 months later i get it back with a 27" barrel stamped Doug Prem and what appears to be a EGW alloy scope rail. It's not about label bashing, it's about getting what i asked and paid for. I just asked a simple question. </div></div>

It sounds like your smith took you to the cleaners, if you ordered a Krieger and he gave you Douglas,if you ordered a 24" tube and it came back 27",if he installed a rail that you did not order,you need to have him fix everything thats wrong or get your money back, It would be hard to trust a smith to do it right the second time! Good Luck

You don't mention caliber. Aw, it doesn't matter! Kreiger makes both 4 and 6 groove depending on cal. We have 2 blanks here, a .30 in 4 groove and a 6mm 6 groove. Douglas also makes both as they have a 4 groove 30.

You are still pissing in the air here and calling it rain. GO BACK TO THE SMITH AND GET HIM TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS. If he substituted items on your build without your permission then he owes you some money.

Go back up and read Jeff in TX's post. Its spot on.

I was wondering why the Krieger Barrel's cost a premium over the others, I typically found that they were reasonable priced and cheaper than most. I haven't paid over $300 for a blank, and the most expensive barrel was for my AR, was threaded, chambered, etc for $400. Is it because I buy direct and have to wait or did Krieger raise their prices in the last year? Not to deviate from the topic, I was just wondering.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering why the Krieger Barrel's cost a premium over the others, I typically found that they were reasonable priced and cheaper than most. I haven't paid over $300 for a blank, and the most expensive barrel was for my AR, was threaded, chambered, etc for $400. Is it because I buy direct and have to wait or did Krieger raise their prices in the last year? Not to deviate from the topic, I was just wondering. </div></div>

That is because you are in the US and he is in New Zealand

If you have access to a bore scope, it will be easy to tell difference between a button rifle and the cut rifled Krieger bbl

If you look through the action of the rifle you may be able to see the factory markings on the barrel around the chamber. They are not always machined off. If you've got markings, check the for sale section here of pictures of blanks for sale, the seller should show a picture of these markings. They generaly have 4 markings: Bore dia, groove dia, metal type, twist.

depending on the cambering - douglas has been making 4 groove 30 cal barrels as standard spec as well as their 6 groove. dont know if that helps. again someone should be able to determine cut rifled and button.

hope it works out. sucks either way

It's a 25-06 4 groove so looks like it is the Krieger and he's just stamped it wrong.

Thanks for the help. Might be time to find a younger smith.

In my experience a cut rifled barrel is very distinct. You prob dont even need a bore scope to see the "cuts". The grooves in my cut rifled barrels look like individual ridges. Even after lapping it still kinda dull.