• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is it better to full length resize or to neck size w/shoulder bump

Wizzbang

Private
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2022
Posen, MI 49776
I recently purchased a Sauer 100 Field Shoot in 6.5 PRC, what I am wondering about is full length vs. neck size, which is better? I am finding there is so much to consider in this, it‘s a bit confusing. This along with powder selection and lack of supplies are aggravating. When I started reloading things were a lot simpler. When I reloaded for the 8mm Magnum I used IMR 4831 which did very well, however, now you have a multitude of powders for one specialty.

Use a FL die and only size enough to size the neck without pushing the shoulder back. That, in effect, is sizing only the neck. Unless you're shooting high pressure loads you probably won't need to touch the shoulders for a couple loadings. Until the brass has expanded enough to be tough to chamber there's no reason to be pushing the shoulders back.

Reactions: marchboom
Use a FL die and only size enough to size the neck without pushing the shoulder back. That, in effect, is sizing only the neck. Unless you're shooting high pressure loads you probably won't need to touch the shoulders for a couple loadings. Until the brass has expanded enough to be tough to chamber there's no reason to be pushing the shoulders back.

When you do that the shoulder pops forward from the pressure applied by the sizing die to the case walls. So you will have to bump the shoulder back just to get back to zero clearance. You might as well bump the additional .002” and be done.

That's true. But, if you already have .002" clearance because the brass has not expanded you're just setting your shoulder back more than necessary. I have a 300 PRC that has .006" clearance with factory brass. First firing doesn't come close to a tight fit requiring any shoulder setback. So, I just moved the die down enough to size the neck. If the shoulders expand forward that's OK as long as the cases fit in the chamber.

I guess what I'm saying is that you still need to know what shoulder length is tight in your chamber. Size it down enough to fit with whatever clearance you want be that .001, .002, etc. You need at least one tight fitting case to know what length is too long.

Reactions: marchboom