• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is it dangerous to shoot 3/8" steel plates with a 22 RF?

Money Waster

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2017
I bought my wife a Walther P22 to learn how to operate a handgun for self protection in the event that I'm not home. I have an 8" plate for my 308 that is 3/8" thick AR500 steel. I was thinking about using it for practice with this handgun, but I am wondering if it could be dangerous at handgun ranges with a 22 rimfire. It's a lot of mass for such a light bullet at relatively low velocity. For what it's worth, the plate would be suspended from a conveyor belt strap/hangar and not rigidly mounted to a post, so it would have the ability to move under impact.

I don't know, I've see pictures of pistol comps where guys are shooting pretty big plates at close range. However, something about it doesn't seem safe to me. Enquiring minds want to know.

Back when I was shooting and setting up steel for USPSA matches 7 yards was the minimum safe distance rule. obviously make her wear eye protection and if there are ANY craters in the steel don't use it for close range anything. you said AR500 to that shouldn't be an issue but keep that in mind for milder steel as well.

Last edited:
What Niles said.

At our range the minimum distance for shooting steel is a mere 15 feet, which I am not a fan. That said, there are a couple things to do that make it even safer. First, make sure that you plates hang at a downward angle. This means that the splash is always pushed down into the ground (mostly). I also use a bolt long enough so that the plate is loose and hanging downward. This works pretty good.

Another way to easily hang plates for .22 use is the garden hooks that you can get at your local hardware or plant store.

Back when I was shooting and setting up steel for USPSA matches 7 yards was the minimum safe distance rule. obviously make her wear eye protection and it there are ANY craters in the steel don't use it for close range anything. you said AR500 to that shouldn't be an issue but keep that in mind for milder steel as well.

Thanks for that Niles. I wouldn't do 7 yards. Way too close for my comfort. It would be more like 15. and yes, it is AR500 steel, so the surface is completely flat and smooth.

I went to school with a kid who had a perfect round dot centered on his breastbone. I ask him about it in gym class. (We were on the Skins squad playing the Shirts. )
He said he shot a railroad rail with a .22 and bullet bounced back and stuck in his skin. He pulled it out. IIRC he said from 20 yards??

It no joke for sure, I've shot some mild steel that had a crater from some knuckle head (best friend) that shot it with a SKS and it turned around a good portion of lead from a 40 cal back at me. Fortunately I was about 20 or so yards back and wearing jeans when it hit me in the leg. Hurt pretty good but no broken skin.

I use Salute steel targets, its has a downward angle. I’ve set my own limit of 25 yards for handgun. 40-50 yards 22lr from a 10/22. All other rounds its at a 100 yards.

I built a target stand at work to hang plates from, I used a 3/8 steel rod and then hang the plates using "s" hooks. I only used 1/4 mild steel but with them being hung from hooks they spin around the rod when you shoot them

I think that I can mitigate a lot of the risk by purchasing the thinner plates. If the plate gets deflected/moved by the bullet impact, it is much less likely to reflect anything back toward the shooter.

We regularly shoot AR500 steel at 15 yards plus in steel matches down here. Literally thousands of rounds in any given weekend without incident. First, it’s flat AR500, so no pock marks. Second, it is angled downward so that splash ends up in the dirt.

As far as thinner plates for .22 shooting goes, great prices and selection here:

Hang the plates at an angle so that the top portion of the plate is “closer” to the shooter than the bottom portion of the plate.

Check out Shooting Targets 7 for a demonstration on how to do that if you need to. It’s as simple as a long bolt and some nuts/washers

I've shot lots of AR500, stainless and mild steel targets with 22lr, all around 5/16-3/8 thick.
At close range projectiles explode into tidy pieces, peppering the ground below and the target stand.
At 100 yards+ you find the bullets flatten themselves into little lead pancakes.

Either way, unless your hitting the target on angle there is little chance of a ricochet.

When I was young, I built a dueling tree type steel target with 3/8 mild steel. I only ever shot it with 22lr (lead round nose) ammo. The lead was so soft that it would splash right there and fall straight down onto the ground. The remains were paper thin. Never had one come back.

I went to school with a kid who had a perfect round dot centered on his breastbone. I ask him about it in gym class. (We were on the Skins squad playing the Shirts. )
He said he shot a railroad rail with a .22 and bullet bounced back and stuck in his skin. He pulled it out. IIRC he said from 20 yards??

Hiting a hardened steel rail that is many times the mass of 40gr lead bullet and anchored to the ground doesn't surprise me. Kinda like shooting a rock at close range. The 8" plate suspended , IMO wouldn't be much of a risk for bounce back. It would absorb most of the energy.

Your results may vary.

But - you need to do what is right for you.

Reactions: Money Waster
I've got a piece of mild steel 1/4"x6" flat bar I've been shooting 22 subsonics at. Never had a ricochet or bounce back.

Reactions: Just Chuck