• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is it me or is something wrong with this site?

vwhugger

The Kindly Curmudgeon
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2003
NW WI
Just recently I discovered when I hit the back arrow on my computer, nothing happens. I have to hit it twice, and I don't mean double-click as it doesn't seem to matter how long the interval between them. WTF? It seems to only be this site.

IE 8, Windows XP.

Re: Is it me or is something wrong with this site?

Firefox on my WinXP ( and on my Win7 ) machines both work fine. I thought the guys said I.E. doesn't work properly on the forum software here.

-Michael

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcubed4130</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Firefox on my WinXP ( and on my Win7 ) machines both work fine. I thought the guys said I.E. doesn't work properly on the forum software here.

-Michael
</div></div>

I switched to the Google Chrome browser and that works fine. Must be a IE compatibility thing. It just changed in the last day or so though.

Internet Explorer has known issues with UBB Threads software and there is not real fix. Changing some internal security setting may fix it, but currently Chrome is the best fix when you find things now working between the forum and a specific user's computer. (browser)

This includes if you find yourself being logged off, or if other features of the board appear to not work correctly.

Nothing we can do, it is a compatibility issue and while it does not effect every machine it does affect many.

I've got the same issue: Cloud Flare flags.

Cloud flare issues are something else.

That is multi part issue and the solution is, SH is doubling our server capacity.

Several outside resources like Google attempt to index the forum, every thread at the same time, this crushes the servers. Plus we face DDoS attacks on an hourly basis. There are computer clusters that attempt to similarly send requests 1000s at a time. This gives you the cloud flare time out because CloudFlare throws in a pause.

But this week I stepped up and doubled the site capacity, it should be in place by Sept 5th.

Today we faced a hack from China, so we face large scale issues because we are moving 4TB of data a month.

Speaking as a 15 year IT veteran and former Systems Engineer for VMware - I'm personally disgusted with the term "Cloud" it's over used, like "Turbo" was in the 80s.
</rant>

That being said I'd seriously advise against ANYONE using IE as their preferred browsers. Chrome is by far the way to go, that or Opera as my 2nd choice.

Couple of questions please:
Other than possible compatibility issues that haven't affected me, why is IE a bad choice?
Microsoft sells products and Google sells advertising; it seems like Microsoft would be a more private option, correct?
Why would the ChiComs want to screw with this site?

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speaking as a 15 year IT veteran and former Systems Engineer for VMware - I'm personally disgusted with the term "Cloud" it's over used, like "Turbo" was in the 80s.
</rant>

That being said I'd seriously advise against ANYONE using IE as their preferred browsers. Chrome is by far the way to go, that or Opera as my 2nd choice. </div></div>

For all you perennial computer illiterates, like me, this may help to define what "cloud" means in computer speak... http://www.verizoninsider.com/lifestyle/...MC-C-C-S-Aug-NL

Another link... https://products.verizonwireless.com/ind...MC-C-C-S-Aug-NL

This is the first I ever heard of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vwhugger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
For all you perennial computer illiterates, like me, this may help to define what "cloud" means in computer speak... http://www.verizoninsider.com/lifestyle/...MC-C-C-S-Aug-NL

This is the first I ever heard of it. </div></div>

His basic assumption is a bit incorrect here:
"As far as it relates to consumer services, cloud computing is a general term for anything that involves delivering hosted services over the Internet."

Uh.. no, that's just hosted apps. Granted it's popular to CALL it cloud computing. Cloud computing is more like what Amazon Ec3 is doing, or what VMware does with private internal clouds, to deliver platform as a service, or software as a service, to it. PaaS/SaaS

Just becuase an app is hosted, does not mean it is a cloud app. The architecture makes it a cloud app, things such as elastic compute resources, storage/CPU/RAM on demand, all encapsulated and consumable on demand with chargeback metrics to the consumer.. self provisioned, and self healing.

I could open a port into my lab and give you a "cloud desktop" becuase it is just that, a cloud. But if I just gave you a VNC/Remote Dekstop connection to a running machine or VM.. its not a cloud desktop, just a connection over the internetz.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vwhugger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

This is the first I ever heard of it. </div></div>

His basic assumption is a bit incorrect here:
"As far as it relates to consumer services, cloud computing is a general term for anything that involves delivering hosted services over the Internet."

Uh.. no, that's just hosted apps. Granted it's popular to CALL it cloud computing. Cloud computing is more like what Amazon Ec3 is doing, or what VMware does with private internal clouds, to deliver platform as a service, or software as a service, to it. PaaS/SaaS

Just becuase an app is hosted, does not mean it is a cloud app. The architecture makes it a cloud app, things such as elastic compute resources, storage/CPU/RAM on demand, all encapsulated and consumable on demand with chargeback metrics to the consumer.. self provisioned, and self healing.

I could open a port into my lab and give you a "cloud desktop" becuase it is just that, a cloud. But if I just gave you a VNC/Remote Dekstop connection to a running machine or VM.. its not a cloud desktop, just a connection over the internetz.
</div></div>
Ok, thanks for the clarification but this is waaaay beyond my paygrade. LOL

was there an issue with an attack on this site earlier this week Lowlight? I had some weird "site unavailable" incidents.