• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is it me?

gdonley308

Hand loading everything
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2018
Central Florida
I have a Tikka TAC A1 6.5CM. The scope is the Brownell’s MPO 5-25x56. Previously I had my SWFA 10x42 in the rifle. I installed the Tikka Performance trigger spring for a pull weight of 12.6oz. Shooting either off my Harris HBRM or laying the rifle over my bag, my first 3 rounds will usually go .35-.50 MOA, then I pull 2 flyers that open the group to.75-.80 MOA. The rifle prefers the 144gr Berger’s and 147gr ELD’s. I haven’t started loading with RL16 yet, the loads I worked up are with Varget. But factory ammo does the same thing regards the last 2 flyers. I know when I pull a shot. The pictures of the groups, are where I felt every trigger pull was good. Has anyone else experienced this with this rifle? Thanks
1210A7C1-15D9-4BB0-AE89-59A0AA731D27.jpeg
D3DA7551-CDE7-42A3-A95A-227605402C6F.jpeg
F2B83090-F9AD-49BD-BB02-CA2D50E9553D.jpeg
CE49E126-53E5-4F36-BFBE-AB170C7421BD.jpeg
B408C29A-1810-4A77-ADD2-67CD69FCB072.jpeg
F0F900E5-823A-4651-A174-C7A08DF975F4.jpeg

I'd look at barrel contact and bedding. But I know I will get some heat over that because chassis and V block bedding systems don't do that....except when they do. Seriously. Common problem with a chassis/v block.

Are you getting alot of barrel mirage? Does sound alot like a barrel heat related issue. I have experienced some barrels speeding up a little as they get warmer too and then falling off as they get hot. Are the two flyers faster than the first three?

If you expect a flyer, you'll more likely get one.

It's a mind trick, but it does exist. It's about confidence and its subconscious effects. Basically, if you think you'll miss your mark; sometimes you can't hit it. It's a real thing.

Shooters believe they are supposed not to know when the sear will break, and for some that's true, especially when they're newer at it. But eventually, we start failing to fool ourselves about that sear. A controlled squeeze does not need to mean absolute surprise. What it does require is the discipline not to flinch when it's now-Now-NOW due to break. When you can get to that stage, you're golden; and that is definitely attainable.

Also, sometimes a charge weight is at the top end of the node. As the barrel heats, the later chambered cartridge's charge gets heated more prior to discharge, and the load falls outside the node; especially on the hotter days. You could try reducing the charge by a couple of tenths and see what happens. Small groups are nice; consistently smaller dispersion under all conditions is better. I don't want to cringe when firing that first shot on our Southwestern 105-110 degree afternoons.

The cartridge is a heat engine, what you get out is all about what you put in; and when the charge heats, there's more energy contained in the package. It's not that complex.

Varget's a great powder, even in the 6.5CM or in the 260 that I shoot. But the right charges do not usually result in the ideal compressed charges that I prefer to use. Because they don't fill completely, there can be issues with how the charge settles after chambering. Differences create dispersion. For that reason I use slower powders like H-4831SC for the heavies, and H-4350/IMR-8208XBR for 120gr and down. They fill the cartridge more than Varget, and could be more efficient in the longer 28" barrel I shoot.

I'm doing experimental load development with the Speer Gold Dot Bullets. What BC deficit they may have is compensated for by very effective terminal performance. That could come in handy for that day when the target isn't a piece of paper. LE seem to like them, too. I'm testing 90TNT, 120 Gold Dot and 140 Gold Dot in my 260. Speer Data.

I have a trick that reduces cooking the cartridge.

Set up you rifle for the shot, but don't close the bolt until just before ready to fire. Until then, the cartridge rests half in, half out of the chamber; and there is very little contact area to conduct heat to the cartridge.

Obviously, I'm talking about single feeding.

Greg

Last edited:

It's a mind trick, but it does exist. It's about confidence and its subconscious effects. Basically, if you think you'll miss your mark; sometimes you can't hit it. It's a real thing.

Shooters believe they are supposed not to know when the sear will break, and for some that's true, especially when they're newer at it. But eventually, we start failing to fool ourselves about that sear. A controlled squeeze does not need to mean absolute surprise. What it does require is the discipline not to flinch when it's now-Now-NOW due to break. When you can get to that stage, you're golden; and that is definitely attainable.

Also, sometimes a charge weight is at the top end of the node. As the barrel heats, the later chambered cartridge's charge gets heated more prior to discharge, and the load falls outside the node; especially on the hotter days. You could try reducing the charge by a couple of tenths and see what happens. Small groups are nice; consistently smaller dispersion under all conditions is better. I don't want to cringe when firing that first shot on our Southwestern 105-110 degree afternoons.

The cartridge is a heat engine, what you get out is all about what you put in; and when the charge heats, there's more energy contained in the package. It's not that complex.

Varget's a great powder, even in the 6.5CM or in the 260 that I shoot. But the right charges do not usually result in the ideal compressed charges that I prefer to use. Because they don't fill completely, there can be issues with how the charge settles after chambering. Differences create dispersion. For that reason I use slower powders like H-4831SC for the heavies, and H-4350/IMR-8208XBR for 120gr and down. They fill the cartridge more than Varget, and could be more efficient in the longer 28" barrel I shoot.

I'm doing experimental load development with the Speer Gold Dot Bullets. What BC deficit they may have is compensated for by very effective terminal performance. That could come in handy for that day when the target isn't a piece of paper. LE seem to like them, too. I'm testing 90TNT, 120 Gold Dot and 140 Gold Dot

I'm doing experimental load development with the Speer Gold Dot Bullets. What BC deficit they may have is compensated for by very effective terminal performance. That could come in handy for that day when the target isn't a piece of paper. LE seem to like them, too. I'm testing 90TNT, 120 Gold Dot and 140 Gold Dot in my 260. Speer Data.

I have a trick that reduces cooking the cartridge.

Set up you rifle for the shot, but don't close the bolt until just before ready to fire. Until then, the cartridge rests half in, half out of the chamber; and there is very little contact area to conduct heat to the cartridge.

Obviously, I'm talking about single feeding.

Greg
The fact that this occurs with the .308 in the picture, and my other rifles leads me to believe your theory that I’m anticipating is the cause.
There is zero contact between the barrel and chassis.
I will be working up loads using RL16 next. The barrel likes the heavies more than the lighter bullets.
Here’s another 3 rounds into .36 with two flyers. This was with factory 140gr ELD’s and a very hot bore.
B53EECE7-5E43-4539-BFC1-1DBC05DD1BD5.jpeg