• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is it my imagination? (StaBall seems dirty by comparison)

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    I'm trying to decide if it's my imagination ... or if the 6.5-Creedmoor rifles I'm cleaning seem WAY dirtier than the others I'm cleaning that use MagPro and Retumbo. Did some research here and historically, several entries seem to indicate that's a problem. I have a whole bunch of StaBall (20+ lbs) so that would be a damn shame if that's the case. I also have a whole bunch of Accurate 4350 and might do a little side-by-side testing to see if it's just my imagination.

I've got a single-digit SD reference load for my 6.5-CM Tikka T3x TAC A1 using StaBall and get awesome results with it, but deciding between low SD's and dirty barrels/bolts feels like a false-choice without deeper testing and a look at alternatives.

Any of you guys seeing comparatively dirty results with StaBall? Deciding to restart optimum load development with a different powder seems difficult, but might be necessary. Need to decide ... hummm ...

Side question ... What's the down-side of a dirty barrel beside having to clean more often and better? Could it decrease barrel life? Asked differently, is it just "annoying", or is it "destructive"?

Youll find that most powders that have anti coppering qualities seem to be sootier. Nothing wrong with it compared to anything else if you maintain regular cleaning intervals every few hundred rounds. A lot of what you see left in the barrel gets blown out with the next round and replaced each bullet.
    I certainly wouldnt stop using it because of that.

If you want really dirty go to the double base reloder powders. Thy can make one hell of a carbon ring... if you dont clean regularly.

Reactions: Doom and Baron23
    Cleaned five rifles over the last 24 hours, and the two shooting StaBall were remarkably dirtier than the ones shooting MagPro and Retumbo.

Youll find that most powders that have anti coppering qualities seem to be sootier. Nothing wrong with it compared to anything else if you maintain regular cleaning intervals every few hundred rounds. A lot of what you see left in the barrel gets blown out with the next round and replaced each bullet.
    I certainly wouldnt stop using it because of that.

If you want really dirty go to the double base reloder powders. Thy can make one hell of a carbon ring... if you dont clean regularly.
    So it looks like it's (a) Yes, it's dirtier, and (b) annoying but not destructive.

I use a lot of MagPro (Double Base) and it runs pretty clean from a routine cleaning standpoint. That said, my MPA 300-WM has a lot of MagPro through it, and did develop a carbon ring that I had to recently eradicate (soak in C4 and scrub like crazy). Came back to life nicely. Wish I could outsource my rifle cleaning to India ... I'd rather be shooting than cleaning.

I am running staball6.5 in a 6creed and I agree its dirty but performing quite good.
    I did notice after cleaning it takes a few more rounds to settle down than the same barrel with h4350 did.

It's a good powder. Good velocity, you can drop it rather than weigh it with no negative effects, it is relatively temp stable. I really wouldn't worry about the dirtiness.

I started shoot staball 6.5 when reloder abandoned us. I'm negligent about cleaning and i got extreme carbon rings in two guns. I could not chamber a round in either rifle. I used carb out a bronze brush and a drill to spin the rod. The powder is accurate but I'm switching to h4350.
    Today I got stopped by a snow drift so had to put a sling on my target rifle and carry a large back pack and hiked to my bench. After all that I took a bead on a big prairie dog at 183 yards and tried to chamber a round. Well the dog is fine and I got home early. Spent about an hour and half cleaning and finally got it functional.
    If you are going to use staball 6.5 clean your rifle often. A carbon ring is a pain in the ass.