• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is it my OCD or

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Tried to grab a random example so no one feels I am 'targeting'

I see this kind of thing all the time for 'Groups' and it bugs the hell outta me. One of things I am always focusing on is making sure I hit exactly where I aim.

Now I know sometimes in ladder tests, everything isn't zero'd, but if you are shooting for a group, why do we always see this stuff off-target? This guy (first pic) is 1'm guessing 1MOA+ Right and 0.5 MOA DOWN--thats 4 and 2 clicks! (3 and 1 for us mil type--I don't have my ruler, so math).

So when I say I can shoot 1MOA groups, I mean I can hit a 1MOA target with 5 shots, not put 5 shots in a 1MOA range.....

Am I just being an ass or is anyone else seeing this all the time and thinking ADJUST YOUR ZERO!

YOU MISSED THE TARGET

Shot-group.jpg

cPY90C7rfgw-ajf1FjG9Wlfk4T9Ry6tWrl3xYWbGszKWooO_GInGpVBk1WFfGX_mS4FdJ5gz33QocpH2ASJSyzmSuHhZGGbikGN_Lc6vCtUvM1iA1ctEJPVnCU2UabS6qN5nLJWX1xUZc1Mvz8nSsJ5bkg

Reactions: Supersubes
I’ve often wondered this myself but, I’m newer to this whole thing and just assumed it was due to ambient influences at the time and the goal was to just continue to shoot for group. Again, all a guess on my part. I’d love to know the correct answer.

I'm newish so this is might be a load of old shit but....

The issue with missing the centre can be fixed with ~4 clicks on the scope.

If the group is more spread out you have more significant issues to resolve.

Small (but off centre) groups demonstrate the ability to shoot to the same spot. Moving that spot just requires a re-zero and isn't a big deal.

Reactions: Marine52
Ammo makes a difference, too. My groups get right if I shoot 168 grain HPBT or at least north 165 grain. With the rifle already zeroed and I changed to a different brand an 150 grain and the spread moved right about 1 MOA.

Zero does not matter when checking to see what a rifle/ load combo are capable of. Its also better to not hit your point of aim when working up loads. After it runs, correct it to zero an roll. Good luck on it being gnats ass staying on that zero. Also posting groups is on the edge of useless.

I see this kind of thing all the time for 'Groups' and it bugs the hell outta me. One of things I am always focusing on is making sure I hit exactly where I aim.

Now I know sometimes in ladder tests, everything isn't zero'd, but if you are shooting for a group, why do we always see this stuff off-target? This guy (first pic) is 1'm guessing 1MOA+ Right and 0.5 MOA DOWN--thats 4 and 2 clicks! (3 and 1 for us mil type--I don't have my ruler, so math).

So when I say I can shoot 1MOA groups, I mean I can hit a 1MOA target with 5 shots, not put 5 shots in a 1MOA range.....

Am I just being an ass or is anyone else seeing this all the time and thinking ADJUST YOUR ZERO!

YOU MISSED THE TARGET

Shot-group.jpg

cPY90C7rfgw-ajf1FjG9Wlfk4T9Ry6tWrl3xYWbGszKWooO_GInGpVBk1WFfGX_mS4FdJ5gz33QocpH2ASJSyzmSuHhZGGbikGN_Lc6vCtUvM1iA1ctEJPVnCU2UabS6qN5nLJWX1xUZc1Mvz8nSsJ5bkg
Couldn't agree more.

YOU MISSED THE TARGET

Shot-group.jpg

You are also assuming that many shooters can consistently hold .75 moa or better and they cant.
Look for the snipers hide dot drill target and sight in your rifle to dead center and shoot at least 10 dots at 100 yards.
Not so easy to do.

Other things are environment, lighting, shooters state of mind, body position it all affects the machine.
The rifle itself may as it warms up change the POI, you might of dialed that rifle in perfectly by the 20th shot but
the next day you go out and the rifle may shoot just a little bit off or is it you that is a little bit off.

If this game was 100% predictable it would be boring.

I prefer my poi to the side during load development. Once I’m happy with a load it’s zeroed and stays there for the life of the barrel

All 3 of those are kill shots, not misses.

YOU MISSED THE TARGET

Shot-group.jpg

You said it yourself.

The goal is group size to show what the rifle is capable of.

"depending on the target, i will sometimes dial off center a few clicks, so that i am not shooting my aiming reference.....if you keep plugging holes into what you are aiming at, your reference goes away, and your groups open up."

This guy ^, I do the same thing, especially at distance and dependent on the target once you shoot out your "bullseye" there's nothing to aim at.

As already mentioned - so you don't shoot out your aim point. That's why I created these targets, 2 or 3 clicks up and aim at the red diamond. I don't adjust for wind during load development.

target.jpg

Reactions: fxdrider
Hard to diagnose this with just the target you posted. Do this:

Shoot 3-shots. Get up. Reload. Shoot 3 more shots at the same target. Repeat for a total of 15-shots.

Take your target home, then go to this website:

http://thlr.no/download.html

Open the PDF titled Shooter Error User Manual. You can print it if you want.

It's not a cure all but it diagnosed my pushing the rifle with the shoulder perfectly. That PDF will tell you volumes as to what is going on.

Reactions: Ronws
I quit shooting "groups" a while ago. I do load development, adjust my scope to allow for POI differences from my aim point, then basically just do a ye olde dot drill. For my purposes (primarily hunting, shoot about 5 matches a year) it has done nothing but good things for my overall shooting.

Reactions: Ronws