• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is it possible to build an AT-X in .224 Valkyrie using a factory action?

Amanda4461

Loves Dobermans!
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Asheboro, North Carolina
Howdy,
I notice that the AT-X action is found in either 6 or 6.5mm only. Is it possible to get a bolt face for an AT-X factory action that will accept the 6.8SPC case head of the Valkyrie, have a barrel made up, and be able to use the .224 Valkyrie? If so, which magazine would be the best fit?
Thanks!
Amanda

I know this doesn't answer your question... but, have you considered the .22 BR? That sort of side steps the issue, seems very comparable performance wise to me. You lose out on factory ammo... but, .224 Valk ammo support is sketchy and much of it seems to be loaded light for use in gas guns. My point being, if you're going to turn to the reloading bench anyway, the BR variant might make more sense.

I'm curious to see if there's more out there... I think the Valk is a cool little cartridge, and would prefer it to the 6.5 G or 6 ARC.

Reactions: Ridge_Walker
Is this what you are looking for?

Lol no definitely not. Stick to .308 bolt face for anything AT-X, maybe .223 if you like the Bugholes conversion. Stick to any other platform if you’re deadset on 224V.

The one Frank posted above was a one off and definitely not available/no plans to make it available for commercial use. Even if there were if would most assuredly be after magnum and factory .223 bolts.

Have to imagine they’re asking for something with factory ammunition availability. It’s about the only way it makes any kind of sense.

Unless you are looking at factory ammo, you may be able to get close with 223 Ackley Improved and a 24" barrel with a long throat.

Last edited:
BLUF: There's no version of this that isn't going to be an expensive, pita in an AI ...or provide cheap factory ammo. You'd be better off putting a 700 clone in an ATX chassis.
This sounds much more affordable 🤑🤑
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I use a CLE Valkyrie heavy Varmint in the AR platform. 6.5 twist is superb for 95 grain SMK.
Looks like I’ll have to hit up the pawnshops for an older 700.
what would be best caliber for the bolt face of the Valkyrie, or will I be calling for a custom bolt?
Happy New Year!
Amanda

Try a Zermatt Origin action. They can be had with a SPC bolt face for Grendel and Valkyrie cartridges. You can also just buy an Origin with a .223 or .308 bolt face and call @Zermatt Arms for the SPC bolt face later since the bolt heads are interchangeable on this action.
ARC sells the two oddball bolt heads as well for their 3 actions

OP, like as has already been said your easiest option will be a barrel in some variant of the BR round.

Buy an atx chassis, 1300$, get a bighorn origin with spc bolt face, mdt br magazine. Get a prefit barrel. Be around 3500$, 2k cheaper than ATX with zero mods for the cartridge you persue. The atx chassis is sweet, I have 2 rem700 aica versions. Will be selling my ai atx rifle soon as I have no love for the brick house gorilla lift action.