• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Is it possible to increase a suppressor's bore diameter to a larger caliber?

Tiger_Shilone

Enthusiasts Smallbore
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2018
Colorado
In the process of standardizing all my QD cans to a common mounting system. Have a 5.56 can that obviously I don't want to get mounted onto a larger caliber rifle, all my other cans are .30 cal. Can stellite be EDM'd? Or is this a pipe dream?

EDIT ADD 15AUG18 : Does anyone know of a FFL02/07 SOT or OEM provider that does this service if it is even legally possible?

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend it unless you were going to limit it to .300 Blk or 7.62x39 use.
It was made with the gas volume of the 5.56 in mind.

I wasn't aware you could legally rebore a suppressor.

That is a good point, hadn't thought of that as that info is stated on the form 4 tax stamp. I do know you cannot add length (makes suppressor more effective) and then there is the whole "Gemtax" issue of who can do work on which suppressor brand (AAC and Gemtech finger pointing/bitchfest contest that wound up screwing all of us with more regulation interpretation).

Looks like this idea might be dead in the water.

I'm almost certain that just like adding length to a suppressor, if you want to change it's bore size larger or smaller from its original size it's another form 4.

Reactions: spife7980
In the process of standardizing all my QD cans to a common mounting system. Have a 5.56 can that obviously I don't want to get mounted onto a larger caliber rifle, all my other cans are .30 cal. Can stellite be EDM'd? Or is this a pipe dream?

EDIT ADD 15AUG18 : Does anyone know of a FFL02/07 SOT or OEM provider that does this service if it is even legally possible?
It is legal, just need to file a form 1 or form 2 (if SOT). Finding someone to do the work is the hard part.

Thank you everyone for the info. I'm not going to do a form 1 for a caliber change, I'll just have to do due diligence and be mindful of which can is on which rifle. The 5.56 can is the one I use the least anyway as it weighs a lot more than all the others so this shouldn't be a problem. I also haven't had any luck finding either a wire or sinker EDM shop for a reasonable price either, the one shop quoted $350+ and that makes this problem more expensive to solve than living with it. That was also a standard machine shop and I don't think they could legally do the work as they are not a SOT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Subwrx300
Nope. Incorrect, sir. :)

"Gage" is used somewhat interchangeably, but in this instance, although it is an archaic spelling, the connotation of that spelling has, for whatever reason, resulted in them being most often referred to as "Gage Pins" or "Pin Gages".

http://www.vermontgage.com/

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/m...isplayMode=grid&itemsPerPage=24&sortBy=wp/asc

https://www.meyergage.com/products/individual-gage-pins/

You learn something useless every day. I wonder if anyone at the ATF actually has pin gages.

Reactions: Subwrx300

If the 5.56 can gets on a 7.62 rifle, the first round should, if the stars align, turn your 5.56 can into a 7.62 can.

I've never tried this personally, so would appreciate video if you give my awesome idea a try!1

Reactions: George from Alaska
If the 5.56 can gets on a 7.62 rifle, the first round should, if the stars align, turn your 5.56 can into a 7.62 can.

I've never tried this personally, so would appreciate video if you give my awesome idea a try!1

The threads are 2 different sizes, on every can and can adapter I have ever seen
Between 30 cal and 5.56. Don't think you could swap them if you tried!
As far as sticking a direct thread 5.56 can on a 30 cal.

If you threaded a 5.56 barrel properly for the 30 cal can you could use it if direct thread.

1/2 x 28 on 22-223 is most common industry standard.
5/24 on the 308
There are always exceptions especially Russian backwards stuff.
Even my AAC adapters will let me shoot a 308 can on the 223 but not the other way around.

And then you have to worry about case capacity not just diameter.

1/2 x 28 on 22-223 is most common industry standard.
5/24 on the 308
There are always exceptions especially Russian backwards stuff.
Even my AAC adapters will let me shoot a 308 can on the 223 but not the other way around.

And then you have to worry about case capacity not just diameter.

And to flesh that out a little more:

.22LR and other rimfire threads need to be 1/2-28 TPI x 0.400" tennon length, where the tennon length on CENTERfire should be 0.600".

I can't guarantee any issue with hanging CF cans off of rimfire threads, but I'd guess the 0.200" difference is probably there for a reason.

Good snag on that. I have ran an 5.56 aac adapter and can on rimfire.
No issues noted but with sv 22lr not much recoil, probably why it worked.
Luckily mostly bench shooting with that so was also "light duty".
Edit: also I detach before casing / transport.

Got a sparrow now much handier.

Thanks for the heads up, will remember to check thread lenght.

Just a thought, that may be a failsafe so you can't put a rimfire on a centerfire?

Not quite...

(Glad you're sticking around!)

Dude, that's fucking UGLY! That M42000 or 556SD held up like a damn champ though! At first I wondered, "why the fuck did he put up a picture of a bunch of worms in that blast chamber?" Then I saw what they were, never seen that before. I wonder how big of a fire they had to light under AAC's ass to get any repair work done, and how long that took?

OP, I'm assuming you're using a Saker and if that's the case the Trifecta is hard as hell to beat. Also, the mount isn't compatible with unlike calibers. So that safety is built in. Why not use the Trifecta?

I pretty much have dedicated cans to my rifles. I have a multi use can that never gets used, they seldom work as well as a dedicated quality rifle can does. Only one or two share a can and a couple share three cans. My biggest concern is actually putting an AAC 5.56 can on the wrong 5.56 rifle. See, AAC mounts wobble like a motherfucker, so short of "fixing" them, best bet is to buy a bunch, find the right ones, send the rest back. What happens is each can will require specific mounts --put 'em on another mount and they'll wobble like hell.

So what I do is mark the two 556SD's with a pink paint marker "M4 1" and "M4 2" and then the cans are marked likewise. It gets worn off and has to be reapplied from time to time but it works very well. The SDN6's were bought at different times and one has more wear than the other so it requires no marks. Or put 'em on opposite shelves. Just come up with a system to keep 'em apart.

As for your question about an SOT doing the work, no, that's not required. ANY shop can do the work, however, you MUST be present while the work is being done. You cannot drop it off. So schedule a time, after hours is when I schedule laser engraving through the guy I use, and just chill and watch him work. But boring out a can, that sounds tricky to me and keeping the runout dead on would have to be a pain in the ass. Better to get another can and another mount and just keep on keepin' on. They don't call us "stamp collectors" for nothing!

Reactions: HansohnBrothers

Dude, that's fucking UGLY! That M42000 or 556SD held up like a damn champ though! At first I wondered, "why the fuck did he put up a picture of a bunch of worms in that blast chamber?" Then I saw what they were, never seen that before. I wonder how big of a fire they had to light under AAC's ass to get any repair work done, and how long that took?

OP, I'm assuming you're using a Saker and if that's the case the Trifecta is hard as hell to beat. Also, the mount isn't compatible with unlike calibers. So that safety is built in. Why not use the Trifecta?

I pretty much have dedicated cans to my rifles. I have a multi use can that never gets used, they seldom work as well as a dedicated quality rifle can does. Only one or two share a can and a couple share three cans. My biggest concern is actually putting an AAC 5.56 can on the wrong 5.56 rifle. See, AAC mounts wobble like a motherfucker, so short of "fixing" them, best bet is to buy a bunch, find the right ones, send the rest back. What happens is each can will require specific mounts --put 'em on another mount and they'll wobble like hell.

So what I do is mark the two 556SD's with a pink paint marker "M4 1" and "M4 2" and then the cans are marked likewise. It gets worn off and has to be reapplied from time to time but it works very well. The SDN6's were bought at different times and one has more wear than the other so it requires no marks. Or put 'em on opposite shelves. Just come up with a system to keep 'em apart.

As for your question about an SOT doing the work, no, that's not required. ANY shop can do the work, however, you MUST be present while the work is being done. You cannot drop it off. So schedule a time, after hours is when I schedule laser engraving through the guy I use, and just chill and watch him work. But boring out a can, that sounds tricky to me and keeping the runout dead on would have to be a pain in the ass. Better to get another can and another mount and just keep on keepin' on. They don't call us "stamp collectors" for nothing!

What is it, the suspense is killing me???

AAC did it themselves when they fired a mag of 300 Blackout through an M42k.

The threads are 2 different sizes, on every can and can adapter I have ever seen

If you threaded a 5.56 barrel properly for the 30 cal can you could use it if direct thread.

The guy at TROS can make any adapter you want.... send photos after test firing please..

Hahaha!!

I kinda doubt ATF even knows wtf a pin gage IS, much less ever had one in the registers.

I have an 07/03 and have had a couple of inspections. I've never had an ATF person handle any of my firearms or suppressors. They axe me to hold them and show them the serial numbers... This is probably why some some scoundrels our there with wiped suppressors punch out their own in the same orginal color... I have several personal wiped cans and I've never been asked to open them. In fact the last ATF guy that inspected me was a former Alaska State Trooper and had previously had a FFL although he never dabbled in NFA items. I asked him about the wipe interpretion and he pretty much said that the agency inspector's view is that if it came with a wipe or wipes and there is a wipe or wipes in there then no one really cares, unless you have given them reason to not trust you or post hate mail on FB or InstaTwit... He did say that if he was doing an inspection and had a container full of punched out wipes, with or without x's or tiny holes like he saw on a guys table once that you gonna be in a heap of trouble boy... probably just for being stupid. Those are the kind of guys who always manage to shoot their leg drawing or holstering during steel challenges or 3 gun...

If you have to be there for the work and you choose to do edm either wire or sinker, be prepared to sleep. Edm takes forever to run.

Wondering the same thing. I have an aac mini 4 that I want to take a drill press to for a 300 b/o

Reactions: BoomerC
Wondering the same thing. I have an aac mini 4 that I want to take a drill press to for a 300 b/o
Do not take to a drill press. You will not drill straight. Drill bit will want to walk. A piloted reamer in a lathe would be better but I dont think they would do good with the interrupted cut.

Try Harder?

556/M4-2000 and 762/SDN6 use identical mounts, easy-peazy to swap them. So be careful.

While able to "cram" them on, aac adapters are different.
Take a look at the "teeth" on the two different adapters side by side.
They are not the same.

Attachments

• 20180829_204502.jpg
    20180829_204502.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
While able to "cram" them on, aac adapters are different.
Take a look at the "teeth" on the two different adapters side by side.
They are not the same.

I think you are a little confused here. That is a 51T mount on the left, and 18T mount on the right. The 51T mount replaced the 18T mount about 10 years ago. They are completely different designs. The 18T used a retainer spring (later versions used dual retainer springs). Th 51T used the latch mechanism. So yeah, of course complete different mounts designed for different silencers won't work.

A M4-2000 (556) 51T mount will also accept SDN6 (762) silencer. Likewise, the SDN6 (762) 51T mount will accept the M4-2000 silencer.

Not confused at all.
Thats a m4-1000 sitting there and the 18t goes with it.
Old like me and lots of miles on both, still banging it.
Have not needed to replace it.

Can't say about the m4-2000

Maybe I'd retract that if you showed us a picture of your 223 and 30 cal aac's side by side with thier adapters on your rifles.

My older cans from aac dont swap / lockup , 2 different adapters.
Was speaking from hands on experience, out of date, kind of like me.

After calling cs at aac they cofirmed that the m4-2000 "223" newer 51t adapter ,
Will in fact go onto the 51t 30 cal adapter . They broke what was fixed?
Could have made the 30 cal flash hide tangs 1/4 inch longer and prevented this.

Sort of a moot point I would not buy a 233 adapter style can again and just use 30's,

I apologize for my mistake.
Still want to see those cans

Last edited:
I wouldn't personally enlarge a can. Some cans that are for smaller bore rifles are only rated up to a certain caliber due to pressure. Not to mention it probably will void all warranty that the manufacturer has on the can. If you want a larger suppressor i would just wait the time in the limbo mode.