• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is it possible to load 9mm with magnum primers?

rdinak

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2003
Birmingham, AL
I need to load a few thousand 9mm rounds. Problem is, all I have are magnum primers for small pistol. If I use milder loads will it be safe to use the magnum primers? I have both Federal and Winchester Magnum small pistol primers. How much pressure increase might I expect to see using the magnum vs standard small pistol primer?

Thoughts?

Re: Is it possible to load 9mm with magnum primers?

Yes, you can use mag primers, but you will have to back down on the powder charge. I would start at minimum, or a few tenths of a grain below minimum, and work up.

One other problem may be the hardness of the primer cups. I've found significant misfire problems with some striker fired guns and small hammerless revolvers. Federal small pistol always fired...CCI frequently required a second strike. Be sure your pistol has a full strength hammer/striker spring

Have done it for years, standardized on magnum primers. Just need to work up a load and don't be chasing the last FPS. As stated, the cups might be alittle thicker, so might experience lightstrikes with a lightened mainspring.