• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Is it really worth it to buy a left handed rifle?

Dogsniper

Minuteman
  • Jul 25, 2014
    Wyoming
    Ok fellas, I am left eye dominant and have always shot right handed rifles left handed. I have a safe full of custom right handed rifles. I want to start shooting prs style competitions. Will I be limited shooting the way I do now? Or should I invest in a left hand rifle? Would sell some of my rifles but the market sucks.
    Thanks in advance.

Are you right or left handed? Eye dominance doesn't require you to shoot the way you are dominant. I am left eye dominant and have only ever shot right handed.

Are you right or left handed? Eye dominance doesn't require you to shoot the way you are dominant. I am left eye dominant and have only ever shot right handed.

Im right handed. I like to keep both eyes open. I can't do that using my right eye.

Reactions: Bigrederic
    Im right handed. I like to keep both eyes open. I can't do that using my right eye.

place a small bit of scotch tape on your left eye of your shooting glasses towards the outside of center.......this will allow you to walk around normally......but will cloud your left eye and allow you to shoot right-eyed.

regarding left hand rifles......if you shoot left handed, then yes, they can be a benefit when shooting positions....or when shooting slung up......its an aid, but not strictly necessary.

the good thing about left handed rifles is that they hold their value well......they can be hard to find, so the people that need them will always be around to buy them.

For shooting quickly, I think it is worth it.

I am right handed but left eye dominant as well. With iron sights, I can only shoot left eye/handed (unless I patch the left eye). With optics, I can use either eye but I am faster with the left.

If you are used to shooting RH rifles left handed, consider a left bolt/right port action. I decided on a LH AT when I moved to a bolt gun. Been happy with it but miss being able to see into the action.

I am left handed , however because just about everything is set up for y'all right handed snowflakes - I was taught to shoot from an early age using rifles with right handed actions, I experimented with a LH bolt and could not for the life of me get used to it , I ended up selling it for a loss and moving back to r/h bolts.... YMMV

I am left eye right hand dominant as well. I've thought long and hard about switching to a LH rifle, but I've decided to really train shooting with my right eye before I go and throw down a bunch of money on a LH rifle.

Covert is as Covert does.

Plenty of good feedback on the scout site.

Everyone is different and training can mitigate things to a point but I'm an advocate of shooting with your dominant eye, and then putting the bolt on the correct side. Might not matter for a lot of casual shooting but for positional when you don't want to break position running the bolt with your trigger hand is advantageous.

Shameless plug: I have a real nice LH Eliseo chassis 338 Norma in the classifieds that comes with short action bolt and bottom metal to run any standard cartridge you might be interested in just have to spin up barrel. CG trigger and pierce action.

Left handed and left eye dominant. Always have shot leftie but before I purchased my first bolt; I always shot ARs.

I love having a left hand bolt and believe it is of help if you do PRS type of shooting. There are a number of good choices out there at various price points.

If you are set on left handed shooting then get a left handed rifle as it will help you for sling and positional shooting in matches.