• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is it too much to ask?

To get 600 yards out of a .223/5.56 gas gun?
Thousands do it all the time shooting high power competition with a sling (no bipod or support). Up until 4 years ago we did it with iron sites........77smk's will do it but 80 grain bulltes or similar work better single loading. Lots of load info out there. On a good day I can hold the 10 ring for all 20 shots. Most days I will wander out into the 9 ring for 5-6 shots. 10 ring is 2 MOA (12 Inches) This is with match grade 20 inch barrels......

I've shot matches to 1000 yards but that is a lot harder (but the bullseye is much bigger........)

Last edited:
I’ve ran my 16” with 55vmax’s to 700 on a 10” plate without issue. I’m Sure I could have gone further, but ran out of light and haven’t revisited it as I generally shoot my bolt guns.

Reactions: Alabusa
Thousands do it all the time shooting high power competition. Up until 4 years ago they did it with iron sites........77smk's will do it but 80 grain bulltes or similar work better single loading. Lots of load info out there.

I’ve ran my 16” with 55vmax’s to 700 on a 10” plate without issue. I’m Sure I could have gone further, but ran out of light and haven’t revisited it as I generally shoot my bolt guns.
Thanks guys!

one local club does 2 - 3 gun to 500yds, no big issues with just a 1-6x scope and 69 smk.

While I haven't done it in a while (due to time/work constraints) I regularly hit an 800 yard plate with a 16" AR that (had) a 1-4x optic. I have since changed the optic on the gun so I need to go try it again with the new setup.

With the new optic I am pretty sure I have potential to get to 1K.

I regularly take my mk12 mod 1 to 700m+ using a 77smk-based load with no problems. Did the same with my carbine to 550m when it had a VCOG on it using the same load.

Reactions: Alabusa and Xcount
Yep, 600 no problem.
IMG_1063.JPG

Come to a Highpower or otherwise called Service Rifle Across the Course Match, or a Mid Range prone match. We shoot 200/300/600 yard lines all day from Sling positions other than offhand which is unsupported.

On a good day I can hold the 10 ring for all 20 shots. Most days I will wonder out into the 9 ring for 5-6 shots. 10 ring is 2 MOA (12 Inches) ...
Another way to read this is .223 has a ±50% hit rate probability on 2MOA at 600 yards in standard conditions.

It could be argued based on the data above that ± 3MOA is better expectation.

Another way to read this is .223 has a ±50% hit rate probability on 2MOA at 600 yards in standard conditions.
Well, you have to factor in the shooter's usual 1 (or more) MOA "wobble" on a good day when shooting from a sling.....So yeah, 223's only capable of 1 MOA at 600 in this case.

And I'm sure you'd say the Harris bipod handicaps your ability at 600 too, right?

Last edited:
I regularly take off hand shots bouncing between the steel my range has at 1,2,3, and 4 hundred yards. 69gr @~2750 out of a 16".
600 should be no problem