• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is it worth it to "uniform" the meplat on 175 SMKs?

MrOneEyedBoh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2011
Maryland, USA!
I was just looking around the different forums I get on, and from time to time I always run into the meplat tools that reshape or re-cone the point making it, supposedly, more accurate and a better BC... Are they worth messing with? I think I also seen a vendor on here that does it and doesnt charge much..

MOEB,

Uniforming the meplat will reduce vertical if you sort by ogive length first. Pointing is a different operation which may restore the BC of a meplat trimmed bullet. You can point without meplat trimming, but I would recommend sorting by overall bullet length if you choose to go this route.

HTH,
DocB

The real question is, can you shoot the difference? I know I cant, so I dont waste my time. If you will be shooting comps, then it seems to be a good return on investment.... or if you have some serious OCD.

Last edited:
Freaking reloading man...It's a slippery slope. I had to eventually draw a line in the sand and stop the OCD shit.
I realized that when my hand loads were on par with FGMM...I was good. Otherwise I'd spend more time reloading than shooting, and thats a diminishing return in my book.
Oh yea, to answer the original question, I have no freaking idea and never plan to find out!

baryqubu.jpg

I have no idea what you mean.. OCD.. Well, I am making steps, Forster for my OCD - Dillon to help me get better .. Ok only pistol but some day I will get better :)

Jt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There is a solid 24 Step program of recovery. Why 24, because 12 wasn't nearly enough.

Search on Whidden Gunworks. They have some really good tools. They are great people to deal with.

I don't think my kids with be able to afford college after I started precision reloading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Im getting awfully good vertical out to 600yds with or without meplat trimming, figure it cant hurt especially at longer ranges, I did these just to be safe, LOL. The next 600yd BR comp is the last of the season and I gotta win, hahahaha
hYADJPp.jpg

Trimming meplats and pointing bullets works if your shooting past 600 and trying to wring every little bit of accuracy out of your set up.Is it worth it,,,not to me.

Pointing will increase the BC by a small amount- 1 to 3 percent or so. Trimming will reduce it slightly. Pointing and trimming is something of a wash, but pointing helps the BC of the "bad" bullets more than the "good" ones, so it will be more consistent. That's the theory at least. You'd have to run the numbers to decide if it's worth the time and money. It's a small effect at best. I would think about it if I was shooting High Master scores or long range benchrest. I don't, so I don't.

I did it not for the BC enhancement but for loading to mag length so I could get the fat 175gr SMK into the rifling with the least amount of jump through my M1A's.

Freaking reloading man...It's a slippery slope. I had to eventually draw a line in the sand and stop the OCD shit.
I realized that when my hand loads were on par with FGMM...I was good. Otherwise I'd spend more time reloading than shooting, and thats a diminishing return in my book.

Brother, you just said a mouthful!

OP, you could always save yourself the drama and switch to the 178gr Amax! ;)