• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is LA5 UHP worth using or overkill for hog hunting

Diesel173

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2023
Georgia
Is a LA5 UHP overkill for hog hunting. I’m thinking I should have just gotten a standard peq15 instead.

Unless you are roping in helos, or can direct an airstrike on your hogs, you will never need even the power the low setting provides. That said the ATPIAL-C is not very good, the DBAL-D2 or the MAWL-C1+ are both MUCH better, and more than usable for hog hunting.

• Haha
Reactions: Your mom
I use an Atilla 200. I need the additional punch to reach out past 500 yards. It really helps me to figure out if what I am seeing is a Hog or a deer.

So...being specific do you have a LA5-B or a LA5-C

the C was/is the UHP version. The B is a great unit and in my opinion not overpowered - all relevant to the NV unit your using - and has Hi and Lo output options

If you have a C unit, it will wash out / bloom alot inside of 600 - 800m again NV unit - BUT - will illum vastly further than a ATPIAL 15 / PEQ 15 (The civilian C version I'd pass on) and the best compromise within 800m is a true LA5-B

As always YMMV and all is subjective

You can always keep the diffuser over the laser emitters to tone down the intensity of it as well as the illuminator to flood the illumination a lot more so its not so intense. I would venture to say that at the ranges you would take a shot on a hog at under NV that the regular FP peq15 would be more than adequate for you. I have never needed a powerful laser but more illumination power is always fine by me…. I run a FP peq15 on a 300blk sbr and a ngal a1 on a 14.5” 5.56. Both are more than adequate and if I had sell my ngal for whatever reason, I would not feel underpowered with the FP peq15.

I’m pretty sure this is the C model.
IMG_2294.jpeg
IMG_2295.jpeg

Reactions: tk427
I’ve killed a LOT of pigs with NVGs over the years. Your question totally depends on setup. If using a clip on device shooting 300+ then absolutely not. If doing what I do, getting in close (30-50m), and engaging sounder as they run off out to 300m or so, then absolute yes. I run a DBAL D2 that works great by myself or with a couple buddies. More than that, and anyone outside the cone of illuminated throw is gonna get washed out and unable to shoot. High power laser when hits pig hair will “bloom” and your precise aiming point/dot turns into a basketball on their neck. TNVC TOR mini works way better in that setting.
If you haven’t actually hunted pigs in your environment, I would start with cheapest option and upgrade slowly from there.