• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is my landlord a fucking dick?

Caveman0101

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2018
Edwards, CO
So while I was away for the holidays, some worthless fucktard broke into the house I'm renting. He broke out the glass of the bedroom room window, $1000 to get it fixed. Didn't steal anything, think he saw the alarm system keypad and backed out the way he came in. I call the police and filed a report, called the landlord and he says I'm responsible for fixing the window. I can't see anything in the lease that states it's my responsibility? O' by the way, yes he is a fucking dick, he is also my boss and this is just the latest thing he's done to piss me off.

Looks like it's on him. The person who broke the window was not a guest of yours. If they were, you would have to fix it.

§ 38-12-505. Uninhabitable residential premises

(1) A residential premises is deemed uninhabitable if it substantially lacks any of the following characteristics:

(a) Waterproofing and weather protection of roof and exterior walls maintained in good working order, including unbroken windows and doors;

Agreed. I’m a landlord, and it’s hard to see a scenario where a rando criminal becomes your liability. If anything it’d be the other way around, in today’s litigious society.

ETA: a rando criminal *damaging the building itself. If the criminal took your stuff that’s not his problem.

Yes, I have renter's insurance, and yes I rent from my boss. For those of you, not familiar with housing in the Vail Valley, it is fucked. Average home costs are over $1,000,000 for anything bigger than a one-bedroom condo. Several years ago the home we had leased sold and the new owner was not renting it out, we got 30 days to move out. There were no 3 bedroom homes to rent that wasn't over $5000 a month, my wife and I were considering moving, so my boss bought a duplex and rents one side to me for well less than market value. (Last week a 3 bedroom home up the street rented for $5500 a month with $16,000 due at move-in.) But with that comes a reminder when something like this happens, that I should be responsible for the upkeep cost since I get such a good deal on rent. I'm so ready to own my own home again, but it just isn't going to happen in this valley unit my kids are grown.

Reactions: Redheeler
What does your lease say? As an attorney, I always start with the lease language and check the statutes to see if they conflict or not. You have duty to turn over the “premises” in good condition at the end of the lease but roof and structure (which generally includes windows) are generally the landlord’s responsibility in most states and most landlords carry insurance for that.

Last edited:
Seeing how you are getting such a good deal on it and can't afford to buy a house right now-- absolutely try to burn this bridge by fighting about the window!

Probably looks a little fishy to him that the window was broken and nothing stolen??

Let's keep some perspective here, I pay @$3000 a month in rent, and do repairs as things break. I've replaced all 4 toilets, disposal, washer/dryer, fart fans, dishwasher, fridge, microwave, oven, the home was built in '94 and nothing has been updated since. But the roof has been leaking for several years now and he's done nothing about it, this just seemed to me to be the next problem that he would ignore for as long as possible.

Reactions: Rooster931
O, I forgot the water heater hasn't worked correctly in 6 months, and I've asked repeatedly for it to be fixed.

I'll connect the dots........ Landlord wants you to move out so he can rent the place for twice what you are paying and can afford to bring in a contractor to fix everything. His next move will be to not fix anything and raise your rent. You are not playing with a winning hand.

Yes, I have renter's insurance, and yes I rent from my boss. For those of you, not familiar with housing in the Vail Valley, it is fucked. Average home costs are over $1,000,000 for anything bigger than a one-bedroom condo. Several years ago the home we had leased sold and the new owner was not renting it out, we got 30 days to move out. There were no 3 bedroom homes to rent that wasn't over $5000 a month, my wife and I were considering moving, so my boss bought a duplex and rents one side to me for well less than market value. (Last week a 3 bedroom home up the street rented for $5500 a month with $16,000 due at move-in.) But with that comes a reminder when something like this happens, that I should be responsible for the upkeep cost since I get such a good deal on rent. I'm so ready to own my own home again, but it just isn't going to happen in this valley unit my kids are grown.
Based on what everyone else is saying, legally speaking, yeah, it's on your landlord/boss. Also sounds like youhave had at least one mutual conversation with him about you getting a significant break on rent that you "could help out" when unforeseen events (like "this") come up. Sure, there is nothing in writing, so you are not legally obligated to do anything.

We have rentals and presently have a bit of a Donnybrook going on. One house has been rented for three years to a couple and the husband is on permanent disability due to a jobsite accident. Had nothing to do with us. Rents in the area have gone up 30% since they moved in, but we have not raised their rent from the original price. So, we're helping them to the tune of that 30% that is going into their pocket (and not ours). For about the past 18 months, the renters have become very demanding that we do things/provide them with extra things that are not even remotely close to being covered in the original rental agreement, much less any standard rental agreement. We're so fed up with the bullshit that we're going to sell the house and retire from the rental industry. Frankly, we're tired of helping renters out and the only recognition we get for it is being shit all over for our efforts. And, we've been through similar situations with other renters/properties. Instances of this are happening more and more in the last five years, the last two in particular.

Again, you don't appear to be under any legal obligation, but you might want to give some consideration to the bigger picture and possibly "chip in" a little. Maybe, do the repair yourself to keep costs down. I can tell you from direct experience as a landlord, if someone wants to play hardball when I'm giving them that much of a break, there's obviously no reciprocal loyalty in the relationship and as a result, I'll do what benefits me, first and foremost. My wife and I have been doing this for 30 years. And we have pretty thick skin. But We've gotten to the point where in these kinds of situations, the decisions that we have to make are black and white and they're going to favor us.

I have no dog in the hunt and have neither upside or downside benefit potential. You do what you want.

Last edited:
If he is renting for way under the going rate, fix the damn window and not worry about it. Looking at how much he has saved you since renting, can you afford to move out and pay maybe double what you do now over a broken window. Yes it sucks having to pay for it but the alternative may end up costing you way more than the price of a window if you plan on staying in that area.

Last edited:
Legally he's on the hook. Since your dick boss is giving you such a good deal on your rent, maybe you could just either suck it up and pay it or file an insurance claim. I vote for the insurance claim as long as it's a valid claim.

Cost of moving homes is way more than $1k, so in that sense if he's 'daring' you to move out he's a dick. But you should understand he's a greedy dick, and as pointed out above, this is probably the first move. Its not going to get better. If he thinks your an indentured servant, at work and at home you always be 'in debt' in his mind. Not a healthy way to live, IMHO

95% if the time a window or sliding door is broken its the damn gardener with a weedeater.

Not sure where you are or how big that window is, but a g to replace even dual pane is insane. Usually 300-800. I was blamed for the gardeners one day, broken 8’x4’ dual pane slider, was 800 with low e.

Landlord here in 2 different states.

(1) Yes, your landlord is a cunt.
(2) You did not cause the damage, nor did any associated party, the repairs on him.
(3) Agree with @Hobo Hilton, this landlord is making chess moves and you are all out of pieces.

95% if the time a window or sliding door is broken its the damn gardener with a weedeater.

Not sure where you are or how big that window is, but a g to replace even dual pane is insane. Usually 300-800. I was blamed for the gardeners one day, broken 8’x4’ dual pane slider, was 800 with low e.

He's in Vail Colorado..... What's the snow base up too right now in Vail 150 inches?

Freaking gardener in the middle of the Rockies winter....

Maybe move to Minturn.
It’s getting pretty pricey too. I forget the name, but there’s a relatively new program in the valley that might help you out. If you’re employed in the county, they award funds to help with your down payment. They helped a buddy of mine out to the tune of 30K+. Only catch is the place you buy becomes deed restricted to employees in eagle county.

Landlord should fix it, but sounds like he won’t. In your case, I’d pay $1,000 to fix it.

Moving will cost you $2,000 or more.

1st and last on a new $5,500 rental will cost you $11,000

The additional $2,500 rent over a 12 month period is $30,000.

So either $1,000 to fix the window or $43,000 to rent a new place. Easy math to me.

If he fixes the window, I bet he will not be renewing your lease.

Funny story: I had renters one time that were nickel and diming me for little shit. Emergency calls on weekend to tighten toilet seats, change lightbulbs, stuff like that. They eventually knocked the 2nd story deck off of my house.

Instead of having a new deck put on, I had the wall closed up and a window put in, lol. They then asked for rent relief because the deck was a major reason they rented the place. I told them no, but I would let them out of their lease, lol.

I did not renew their lease.

Unless Renter's insurance covers something different where you live, your's won't cover it. It's for contents and liability only. If you have to pay, it's all on you.
Based on your situation, I would probably pay for the window and drop the topic. He can make way more with you out of there.

Reactions: Holliday
Pull up your big boy panties and act like a fucking man.
Ask yourself why the hell are you even living in a shit hole place like that. If you like having the address to impress then by all means continue getting ass raped by your boss and those that can afford the life. If you think that eventually you will be one of the "Joneses". Wake the Fuck up, you won't because you are over your head in a lifestyle you can not afford to be mingling in.
Open up your eyes and realize that you are nothing to these people and relocate to someplace else.
Now is when you start to make two dozen reasons why you have to stay and be someone's rug. Or you get to job searching and actually get some dignity.
I give more credit to the illegal that packed a pillow case and walked from Honduras to Texas for a better life than people that stay where they are and bitch like a school girl.

My 1st one was when I was 18. I caught on quick and purchased a brand new mobile home, then rented a lot. That guy was even worse. With what I knew, purchased a house and land before I was 24. Been a landlord myself ever since. I *can* be a dick...

Legally he's on the hook. Since your dick boss is giving you such a good deal on your rent, maybe you could just either suck it up and pay it or file an insurance claim. I vote for the insurance claim as long as it's a valid claim.

Pull up your big boy panties and act like a fucking man.
Ask yourself why the hell are you even living in a shit hole place like that. If you like having the address to impress then by all means continue getting ass raped by your boss and those that can afford the life. If you think that eventually you will be one of the "Joneses". Wake the Fuck up, you won't because you are over your head in a lifestyle you can not afford to be mingling in.
Open up your eyes and realize that you are nothing to these people and relocate to someplace else.
Now is when you start to make two dozen reasons why you have to stay and be someone's rug. Or you get to job searching and actually get some dignity.
I give more credit to the illegal that packed a pillow case and walked from Honduras to Texas for a better life than people that stay where they are and bitch like a school girl.
This! Start looking for a new job in another area today!

Reactions: 308pirate
The DICKHEAD that purchased a duplex so you had a place to live and charges you way less than market value? DICKHEAD really? He is not your DAD, he your employer and by the why you are telling it he sounds like a great guy. Listen to some of these guys will get you evicted from your very affordable home.

Vail? Isn't that a place for liberal Hollywood cocksuckers who want to mingle with other Hollywood scum and going skiing? Why would you want to live in a place like that. Use this as a wake up call to get the hell out of there.

Based on what everyone else is saying, legally speaking, yeah, it's on your landlord/boss. Also sounds like youhave had at least one mutual conversation with him about you getting a significant break on rent that you "could help out" when unforeseen events (like "this") come up. Sure, there is nothing in writing, so you are not legally obligated to do anything.

We have rentals and presently have a bit of a Donnybrook going on. One house has been rented for three years to a couple and the husband is on permanent disability due to a jobsite accident. Had nothing to do with us. Rents in the area have gone up 30% since they moved in, but we have not raised their rent from the original price. So, we're helping them to the tune of that 30% that is going into their pocket (and not ours). For about the past 18 months, the renters have become very demanding that we do things/provide them with extra things that are not even remotely close to being covered in the original rental agreement, much less any standard rental agreement. We're so fed up with the bullshit that we're going to sell the house and retire from the rental industry. Frankly, we're tired of helping renters out and the only recognition we get for it is being shit all over for our efforts. And, we've been through similar situations with other renters/properties. Instances of this are happening more and more in the last five years, the last two in particular.

Again, you don't appear to be under any legal obligation, but you might want to give some consideration to the bigger picture and possibly "chip in" a little. Maybe, do the repair yourself to keep costs down. I can tell you from direct experience as a landlord, if someone wants to play hardball when I'm giving them that much of a break, there's obviously no reciprocal loyalty in the relationship and as a result, I'll do what benefits me, first and foremost. My wife and I have been doing this for 30 years. And we have pretty thick skin. But We've gotten to the point where in these kinds of situations, the decisions that we have to make are black and white and they're going to favor us.

I have no dog in the hunt and have neither upside or downside benefit potential. You do what you want.
No good deed goes unpunished!

Let's keep some perspective here, I pay @$3000 a month in rent, and do repairs as things break. I've replaced all 4 toilets, disposal, washer/dryer, fart fans, dishwasher, fridge, microwave, oven, the home was built in '94.

Hold the bus.
I've owned and built several homes in my lifetime just how in the hell do you wear a toilet out let alone 4 of them?

When reading the lease it should be under the insurance section. Maintenance section would be for normal wear and tear.

Also, reglazing should be like $100-$200 for an average window. Even a full window replacement shouldn't be a grand. If you do pay for it, hire someone yourself. I certainly wouldn't give the landlord a grand so they can have it done for $200 and pocket the difference.

Reactions: BCP
Since you have renters insurance why are we having this conversation? Call the insurance company and put in a claim for the window and the roof and see what they might cover. And consider getting a public adjuster to help you wirh the roof claim (they will say it’s hail damage and seek coverage for you). And upon further reflection, since your rent is “well below market value” and it sounds like you don’t want to leave, just fix it and move your day along. And I agree with another post above that a broken window with nothing stolen would appear mighty suspicious to any landlord, who might think that your wife threw a coffee mug at you one morning and Missed and hit the window. As a landlord and a lawyer, that’s what I would could reasonably surmise. OR You could also rent a now available 3 bedroom place in Edwards about 20 miles away but that’s $5500/month. So your location and rent sound very good. Conclusion: you got yourself a good deal there so fix the dam window and the roof leak and be glad you are not 20 miles away paying $5500 month or more. Or move to a new town and get a new job? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate
1) Legally it is on the Landlord.

2) His landlord can more than afford to cover the cost of a 1000$ window if he pays 3000$ a month insurance.

3) In my experience renter's insurance didn't cover damage from a burglary only (some) of my lost possessions. Also they lowballed everything.

Personally I think 1000 is nuts but Vail is nutty pricing so who the fuck knows.