• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is my NF 3.5-15x50 enough for my new GAP 260?

snipe10

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
Colorado
I have my new GAP 260 with a 24" barrel arriving in about 3 weeks. Some have told me I need a 5.5-22 to get "out there" meaning 1000+ yards. I can get to 1000 now with my 3.5 (on a 308) but haven't really stretched it past that. I think the 260 will go to 1400 yards but don't know how much I'd be shooting that distance. So, if it were you, is the 3.5-15 enough glass?

I would bet let's of money that if you had the two to test your results would be the same. If it's an nxs you have the only switch I'd make is to an f1 (which is still 3.5-15).

Really depends on the type of shooting you will be doing. If you are static and shooting a majority of ELR then maybe the 5.5-22 will be better suited. Just have to be realistic about your goals and real world shooting scenarios. Also consider the heat in CO and mirage. Best bet would be to get behind a 5.5 and take it for a spin. If you get up to Triggertime, I am sure they have one you can peek at, give them a call.

TriggerTime Gun Club

I would spend the money on reloading components for the 260 personally.

Its plenty. But it really depends on what you will be doing with it. I shot to 1400 last week with a 10x so yeah, you can center on your target that far. If you will be doing more lowlight the go with the 15. If you need to see more then maybe the 22. I have both and love both for differs t things. I got the new 2.5-10x42 for certain work and wouldn't trade it for any other scope for this rifle. All depends on what you wanna do. Either will have plenty of adjustment for a 260. Giving g you have a 20moa base.

Any magnification is fine as long as you're not benchrest shooting or shooting at a mile EELR, even thought it would still work.

Aim small, miss small is something a lot of people totally forget when looking at optics and usually overscope their rifles to find out that they don't/can't use the vast majority of the higher end of magnification due to mirage or extremely small FOV.

I'm actually going down in magnification lately. I have a Steiner 5-25 on my 6.5 that I think I went over 14x with only to MIL something.

On my MK12 I have a 2.5-10 and go 600+ yards with it. On my SR25 I'm going to have a 3.5-10 or MAYBE a NF F1 at the absolute highest. On my 22LR trainer I shoot at 100-200 with I have a 14x that is usually somewhere under that. Hell, I've shot 600 yards with a 1920 dated Zeiss Zielsechs fixed 6x on a K98.

Last edited:
I've got a 6.5 Creedmore being built by PCR that's going to have a 23 in Remington varmint contour on it and a NF NXS 3-15x50 sitting in the gun safe that's going atop it as soon as it arrives and feel it will fill all my needs

Tony

This question is totally loaded. The answer is it completely depends.

At most tactical matches, you'd be just fine with a 3-15 scope provided it has a nice usable reticle.

In most "field" environments, a 3-15 would be just fine as targets just aren't that small.

3-15 is far from ideal however when you are shooting at really small targets, your eyes suck (better glass is usually better than higher magnification for this anyway), or are trying to shoot tiny groups on paper.

In general, I think most guys prefer a 5-25(ish) optic on their rifles, particularly when that rifle is higher performance than a 223 or 308. Still, a 3-15 is entirely serviceable.

Shoot it if you've got it. If you find yourself running on 15x all the time wishing you had more, well I guess you answer your own question. If you are going out to buy one or the other I would go with the 5.5-22 since you can always dial it down to 15x. But if you are going out to buy something you obviously have more choices then those 2. I am running a 3.5-15x50 F1 on a 260 bolt gun. Shooting TTs match tomorrow with it actually.

So to answer your question yes your 3.5-15 is enough for a 260

I feel a Nightforce 3-15x would be a great scope for a AR10 platform. The NF 5.5-22x would work a little better at 1k but again over all the 15x would work great.