• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is my Savage worth upgrading?

bigred6695

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2019
I've got a Savage 10T i bought from cabelas a couple years ago to get into long range shooting. Thanks to black friday sales and some gift cards I only paid $377 for the rifle. I've been having a blast enjoying long range shooting, have attended a few matches and am considering changing out the barrel. I'm not quite ready to fund a complete custom rifle build ( I'm hoping to do so in the next couple of years), but for now I'm trying to squeeze as much accuracy as possible. Would it be worth buying a better quality barrel and installing it myself or should i just keeping shooting as it is and wait until i can fund a new rifle? Some concerns would be that even with a better barrel, am i loosing accuracy with the stock receiver and bolt, would a new barrel need a new stock etc. Thanks!

Can you shoot better than the barrel on the rifle? If your barrel is not giving good groups, then yes upgrading the barrel is a good investment. New barrel could need a new stock depending on what contour you get. Depending on what stock you have from the factory, it may be worth upgrading anyway. You should be able to find someone near you with the tools and gauges you need making it even more economical.

Reactions: 338dude
Yes or no. It depends.

Accuracy is mostly in the barrel nit the action. Savage actions are plenty accurate.

The MDT LSS Gen 2 chassis has a Savage 10 profile for $400.

Why are you considering a rebarrel? Has accuracy fallen off due to throat erosion or Are you looking to change cartridge?

My opinion (FWIW..) is if you intend to shoot this rifle a long time go for it and have fun.

Reactions: 338dude
Yes.
The only thing that is left from my 10T is the action.
Carbonsix 300wsm, PTG magnum short action bolt face, Accufit stock, SAV2 trigger at 8oz, NX8 4-32, PVA lightweight brake.
20210211_093814.jpg

How many rounds have you put through it and how accurate is it for you now? There can be good value to be found in a Savage platform depending on what you want and how you want to get there. I have a Model 10 purchased in the GRS stock, I have reworked the trigger and have replaced the barrel on it so far. But I have added higher end accessories to it (scope, bipod, etc) and worked on my reloading technique because all of this stuff can be moved to a more expensive rifle platform if I upgrade later. So far I have been fine with the Savage and it has taught me some good lessons in precision shooting along the way.

Remember that with the Savage barrel nut system you can move it over to a lot of custom actions, should you later go that route. Get rid of that smooth nut on the 10T and get something you can easily remove with a wrench.

Reactions: gigamortis
Remember that with the Savage barrel nut system you can move it over to a lot of custom actions, should you later go that route. Get rid of that smooth nut on the 10T and get something you can easily remove with a wrench.
Those smooth nuts get pipe wrench scars then tossed in the garbage.

Reactions: tydex21
Yes or no. It depends.

Accuracy is mostly in the barrel nit the action. Savage actions are plenty accurate.

The MDT LSS Gen 2 chassis has a Savage 10 profile for $400.

Why are you considering a rebarrel? Has accuracy fallen off due to throat erosion or Are you looking to change cartridge?

My opinion (FWIW..) is if you intend to shoot this rifle a long time go for it and have fun.
I had written a previous post about some inconsistencies in my groups, and was told not to chase accuracy on a factory barrel. I really feel confident in my shooting and am wanting to take my accuracy to a better level. I'm not expecting bench rest accuracy, but I would like to have precise and consistent groups. During the same time I'm working on my handloading techniques and learning a lot from the basic hunting and pistol rounds i've loaded in the past. My groups have been inconsistent. I am looking to keep the same cartridge (6.5 Creedmoor) I do plan on having this rifle for a long time and am doing an NRL match next month, with hopes to do another NRL/PRS before the end of the year. I do Like the MDT setup. Its tough trying to decide which parts to upgrade over time vs just waiting for a custom build.

Reactions: Newbie2020
The super shooters here on the Hide agree: the barrel makes the accuracy.

A good after market barrel on a factory action can shoot bug holes; a bad barrel on the best custom action will shoot crap holes.

Lots of good barrel mfgs. find a good smith who’ll test barrel runout before spending time chambering. Even the best barrel makers can have a lemon.

How many rounds have you put through it and how accurate is it for you now? There can be good value to be found in a Savage platform depending on what you want and how you want to get there. I have a Model 10 purchased in the GRS stock, I have reworked the trigger and have replaced the barrel on it so far. But I have added higher end accessories to it (scope, bipod, etc) and worked on my reloading technique because all of this stuff can be moved to a more expensive rifle platform if I upgrade later. So far I have been fine with the Savage and it has taught me some good lessons in precision shooting along the way.
I've got about 1200 rounds through it so far. I've had an athlon Chronus BTR scope since day one, seekins rings and base, silencerco Hybrid. The upgrades i've done in the 2 years have highly exceeded the cost of the rifle, but its been so much fun to shoot. I'm looking to take it to the next degree of accuracy. Also, in terms of a custom build, i've been considering doing a longer range caliber like 300 normal to shoot ELR. I'm using the cheaper rifle to increase my own shooting skills, learn reloading techniques, and gain practice. I figure much easier and cheaper to shoot with my Savage and save the rounds on the normal for when I have the ability.

Including the original cost of the rifle, how much money do you have into it?
Much much much more than the $275 it cost for the10T.
Building my own rifles is my hobby and passion, its what I love to do.

I’d skip putting any money into it at all, and just buy a Tikka or even. Ruger RPR. With the Savage you’ll never stop. They nickel and dime you to death. Trigger, Cnc recoil lug, barrel, go gauge, chassis etc. Enjoy it for what it is, if it were me I wouldn’t do anything more than bed the action to the stock and put money towards something else for long range use.
TLDR; NO it’s not worth upgrading.

Reactions: RMB and Newbie2020
I've got about 1200 rounds through it so far. I've had an athlon Chronus BTR scope since day one, seekins rings and base, silencerco Hybrid. The upgrades i've done in the 2 years have highly exceeded the cost of the rifle, but its been so much fun to shoot. I'm looking to take it to the next degree of accuracy. Also, in terms of a custom build, i've been considering doing a longer range caliber like 300 normal to shoot ELR. I'm using the cheaper rifle to increase my own shooting skills, learn reloading techniques, and gain practice. I figure much easier and cheaper to shoot with my Savage and save the rounds on the normal for when I have the ability.
If you are going to shoot NRL you are not going to want to do it with a 300 Normal. If you are able to shoot 1/2 MOA I would just jump into the NRL matches as that will tell you what you need to upgrade to compete. It might be wise to get a barrel ordered regardless as there are some extended wait times on some of them.

My savage 12 Lrp has been a great rifle. Factory rifle shot 1/4-3/8 moa for over 2000 rounds. Ptg bolt and in an LSS. Just put a new Krieger barrel on it

If you are going to shoot NRL you are not going to want to do it with a 300 Normal. If you are able to shoot 1/2 MOA I would just jump into the NRL matches as that will tell you what you need to upgrade to compete. It might be wise to get a barrel ordered regardless as there are some extended wait times on some of them.
the norma is going to be for ELR and not matches. I shot a bit with the Savage 6.5 out to a mile. It was tough but fun and luckily i had a good wind day.

Reactions: AllenOne1
It is worth it until it isn't. I built off of and played with Savages for a couple years. It was worth upgrading.

Then, it wasn't. I sold everything Savage but my barrels after I bought a Nuke cause it takes my Savage prefits.

Just depends on what you like and where you wanna put money.

Its not a waste if you buy a barrel and shoot it out and use up the brass. Everything can be sold and money put into the next one.

☝️ ☝️ ☝️ What this guys said x2

It's totally worth it. I wouldn't dump a ton of money into that rifle but a barrel is a pretty cheap upgrade. It's nice to have a smaller gun around, a 300 Norma isn't something you want to shoot all day every day. You will be amazed how easy it is to shoot a mile with a Norma. Put a big slab style brake on it, your can isn't going to be big enough for that much powder unless you get a 338 can.

Savages are like far girls. Fun to play around with in private but you don’t want to be seen out in public with them.

It is worth it until it isn't. I built off of and played with Savages for a couple years. It was worth upgrading.

Then, it wasn't. I sold everything Savage but my barrels after I bought a Nuke cause it takes my Savage prefits.

Just depends on what you like and where you wanna put money.

Its not a waste if you buy a barrel and shoot it out and use up the brass. Everything can be sold and money put into the next one.
This.
I ran a few barrels threw my savage before I upgraded to a custom.

I still have my savage and she’s been a good rifle.
If you’re happy with the action and trigger then upgrading it isn’t a big deal.
461929EA-2836-4333-9AD9-52684AE12E10.jpeg

Reactions: tydex21
is it worth it to you ? it will be your money not mine .

If you want to shoot matches, put a better barrel on the gun and leave it alone. If you really want to upgrade the stock, do it with something cheap. You will never get your money back out of it. I shot a savage in matches for 2 years. It was a $250 Cabela's 12 FV that I put a used HSP stock and CDI bottom metal and a CBI prefit on. I had around $1000 in it. They can be made to work, but they are not a custom action. If you get the bug to compete you will want to build a custom. The least expensive good option in my opinion is an Origin in a Bravo with a TT Diamond and a Criterion Savage prefit in 6 Dasher. That has the potential to be a really competitive set-up.

My savage action was never 100% reliable ejecting and I started having trigger issues at the end of the 2 years. It was plenty accurate with CBI prefits. If you want a better barrel than CBI you can get a savage prefit from Bugholes or PVA. Most of the accuracy potential of the rifle comes from the quality of the barrel blank and chamber job. With a good barrel, quality brass (Lapua or Peterson), and good bullets (Berger) 1/2 moa is pretty easy. 1/2 moa is also achievable with cheaper components (at least a close to medium range) it just takes a little more load work usually.

It is up to you how much you want to dump into the Savage. Having been down that road, I would not put money into it except the barrel. The barrel will transfer over to a number of custom actions that are available. When you get ready to upgrade anything else, resist the urge until you can muster a low end custom set-up like I laid out above.

Also, I would not get a 6 Dasher barrel to run on the Savage action. It is a finicky cartridge to get to feed and eject and I haven't had a savage that is worth a shit at ejecting regular cartridges. I would look at a fast twist barrel in 6 Creedmoor, .243 Winchester, 6XC, or 6x47 Lapua to be competitive in PRS/NRL. Run a good aggressive muzzle brake and you will be good to go.

With a good barrel They will shoot as good as anything.

I sold mine rather than upgrading it because of what I’ve seen as less than stellar resale value.

I'd get a barrel also, since it will fit some great custom actions. The real question is if you want to start buying extra bolt heads/bolts, trigger, stocks/chassis, as all of that will lock you into Savage depreciation, unless you just keep it forever.

I have upgraded all of my Savages. Only once did I replace a barrel, and I regret doing it when I did. That original Savage factory barrel could ring the gong on the 1Km Steel Silhouette Range Buffalo at Whittington, ten straight. It had less than 600rd through it. It was given to another 'Hider.

Reasons for replacing a barrel: Accuracy has dropped off suddenly. I want to rechamber to a different cartridge. There are maybe others but my feeble old mind can't quite get around to them. Never part with a barrel if it still shoots good; good lesson learned the hard way.

Other than that, all I have changed is ergonomics, and for me, that's a must; I'm 6 1/2ft tall and 13"LOP just ain't gonna get it for me. The bolt is up against my nose. I spend what I must and no more. Choate makes the stocks I buy, I also have a McMillan, but that's another story, and I am eternally indebted to McMillan for their kindness and generosity to SH, and by extension, me. Choate employs stock extenders that mate with their Choate Savage Tactical stocks perfectly, My rifles use 3 each.

Optics are a horse race. I outfitted all of my LR capable rifles with one particular BDC scope design that I could afford for about $300, and immediately after, the manufacturer dropped them in favor of something only vaguely similar and costing a $K. IMHO, I prefer the older one; If I can range it, I can hit it without touching a knob. Not so with the new one, knobs get turned, period. I have no scope to personally recommend.

The Accu-Trigger is OK for me, the extractors have only ever failed for me when I ran my charges too hot; and if bolt smoothness and cocking force send you wailing into the wilderness, I say, "Keep going...".

I won't buy/build a yacht if a rowboat will get the job done.

Greg

ETA, the Savage is an accurate, affordable armature upon which the hobbyist can append accessories that improve ergonomics, accuracy, and even reliability. My Savage LR capable rifles 223/308 each cost under $1k (includig Optic) when finally updated to their current status. They were assembled on Savage 10VT <$400 rifles purchased with the Savage customer rebate. They are/were never intended to win against the big boys, but, instead to provide a learning/training tool that was fully capable competing in the intended competition (F-T/R). In that goal, they have succeeded, with the 223 competing in SW Region Nationals at Ben Avery Range (Phoenix area) MR/600 F-T/R in 2017.

Last edited:
True enough^^^^^.

Views can differ. Mine is to shoot a barrel til it dies, then upgrade. In many cases, the original factory barrel can/will outshoot the shooter, too. I find that eking out a good consistent set of groups with a factory barrel (it CAN be done, but it demands that you use best marksmanship practices) preps one perfectly for that step up to that top shelf barrel. Don't expend expensive barrel life on making those beginner errors. That's where the value of the factory barrel lies.

The stock comes first, without the right ergos, you're fighting with yourself. It's damning.

Greg

Last edited:
Me, I gots this Savage 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 CM 3 years ago for <$400 and went nuts building a Precision Rifle that shoots sub MOA out to 1000 yards.

Prone200yards.jpg

When the barrel is done I'll definitely buy me a replacement and run This Dog another 2K+ rounds. I'm a Savage Whore and rocking this bitch until it lets me down. Which it has not to date.

VooDoo

Reactions: DRAGON64
Upgrade the stock to a used chassis, HS, McMillian before you go to a barrel. The 10T shoots well out of the box. The ejection issues can be solved with a simple google search and a bit of time so by next weekend it would be solved if you have that issue. I have been doing my weekly dot drills with my 12fv in the savage Ashbury chassis. Build your fundamentals and video yourself so you can see what is going on with your trigger squeeze sequence, follow through recoil management all of the stuff you think you are doing but maybe not @ 100%. I have students that can make a few shots then they slap the trigger or you catch them ever so slightly pick their head up and shooting high destroying their consistency. Once you are certain all of that is at the best of your ability you can see what upgrade direction you should take

I have great luck with a Savage 12 short action with a Shaw 26 inch 223 Wylde barrel in an Oryx chassis.

@Vodoun daVinci How much did that rifle cost you to build?? Not including the scope/rings/base. A buddy wants a 300 PRC to do some long range and I suggested this route.

Reactions: rhsth4
I’ve got a sentimental savage that’s one of the most accurate rifles we have. When a savage action is broken in and timed right(not sure what that means but a smith I sent it to said he tweaked it some) they can run nicely. At least mine does. It’s got a proof steel prefit on it and is boringly accurate. Add the 1-off 3d printed bolt handle and its a straight ghetto AI. We have a lot of nicer rifles but this one can run right with them. Moral of the story is while savages can definitely suck, they can also be very effective.
FB4A5E3F-C593-489A-9B31-EF6A08FD884A.jpeg

This is from a 12FV with just a ashbury chassis for an upgrade using 120amax factory ammo @ 200yds 10 shots. That is a Nickle under my finger for reference. IN my rifle the ammo runs 2910fps and is about 1" high of my zero with 147's @ 2765fps

Attachments

• 20201018_111418.jpg
    20201018_111418.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 50
3026FE89-2437-48CE-A928-096857AB98C1.jpeg

this rifle will be here to stay with me.

started having ejection issues at around 1500 rounds. $10 in parts and 20 mins later it’s fixed.

260 master race.

Reactions: Steel head
@Vodoun daVinci How much did that rifle cost you to build?? Not including the scope/rings/base. A buddy wants a 300 PRC to do some long range and I suggested this route.
Round numbers I have ~$1500 invested in Savage 10 FCP-SR, MDT LSS-XLGen2 chassis, XLR Extreme buttstock, Atlas BT-10 bipod/rear monopod, MDT AICS magazine, MDT vertical grip, and assorted rails and stuff.

I have continued this build and added front picatinny rails, weights, Vortex Golden Eagle optic.....etc.

VooDoo

I've upgraded stocks and triggers on my Savages, but so far havent had a reason to change out a factory barrel.
Late 90's Model 10 FP- LE1 flat bridge in .308 with McMillan a1 stock, Sharp Shooter trigger and PRI base/rings.
Slightly newer Model 12 FV .223 in a Choate stock.
20210214_193031.jpg

Reactions: DRAGON64
Me, I gots this Savage 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 CM 3 years ago for <$400 and went nuts building a Precision Rifle that shoots sub MOA out to 1000 yards.

View attachment 7556912

When the barrel is done I'll definitely buy me a replacement and run This Dog another 2K+ rounds. I'm a Savage Whore and rocking this bitch until it lets me down. Which it has not to date.

VooDoo
I may buy one of these stocks. What made you choose the AR stock tube over the other one that's available?

I may buy one of these stocks. What made you choose the AR stock tube over the other one that's available?
The MDT Chassis? I specifically started using chassis so I could bolt stuff on (like different buttstocks and grips) I really liked the XLR buttstock much better than the MDT skeleton buttstocks. Just ergonomics I guess.

VooDoo

Savages are like far girls. Fun to play around with in private but you don’t want to be seen out in public with them.
Till a real trigger finger out shoots your custom with one! I had a nice savage 12lrp with a few upgrades and outshot plenty of way nicer more expensive rifles many a times over. I did end up selling it and buying a complete Archimedes and sure haven’t looked back that’s for dam sure. But my savage drove tacks all day everyday and the new owner doesn’t compete but loves it.

You can do just the barrel, or you can go nuts.
Is up to you, but just need to remember it's still just a Savage to everybody else.

Savage Model 10 rebarreled into a 300WSM with a Shilen select match barrel in an Oryx chassis. Jard trigger, and all new bolt, then topped it off with a complete Cerakote job. Has a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 now instead of the Athlon. No ragrets.
20200523_141032.jpg

20200523_141125 (1).jpg

100 Yards 5 shots.
BX_RAW_PHOTO_1592181940974.jpg

With that in mind, I did this after I bought my MPA BA 6.5

I'd consider a new barrel if you have flyers or it quits grouping but I'd say save money for a custom if you are thinking about one.

I'm shooting an older Savage Palma out to 1k. I recently swapped scopes on it which ended up including a new base and rings. Since I have no plans on selling the rifle the new base doesn't bother me, rings and scope can move to a different rifle. One of these days it may need a new barrel and that will happen when it's needed. I bought it ready to shoot so I havent done anything to it except adding a rear sling QD cup and buying a handstop with a front sling QD in it.