• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is my scope broken?

testlight

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2023
Redmond, Oregon USA
IMG_20230929_112919397.jpg
IMG_20230929_113333431_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230929_112941899.jpg

So I dusted this scope off and put it on a db10 (large frame AR)

I've been trying to find ammunition that it likes, and shrinking my group sizes by improving my fundamentals.

I haven't gotten better than about two moa and this rifle should be able to do much better.

I did all that range work on 15x, I was just playing around with the rifle doing some dry firing on the lowest power 3x and noticed this black semicircle in the bottom of my scope.

I tried looking through the eyepiece at different angles thinking maybe my alignment was off or something but with my eye and my cell phone I can't seem to find a solution.

I did the best I could with my pictures so you can sort of see it, and then there is another picture on 15x where you can see that the scope is clear as it should be.

Should I send this scope into vortex or am I such a dumbass that I'm doing something wrong?

I don't have a rifle that shoots well enough to really test this scope, because I can't get the ammo that my other rifle really likes anymore...

Thank you in advance.

Yes, you have an internal lens that's come loose. Call Vortex to get an RMA.
I know you know scopes, but since the Optics look fine Id venture to guess that's an oring rather than a lens and it's somewhere in the objective end of the scope. If that is what it is then It may not have anything to do with 2" groups out of a large frame gas gun.

Either way, it needs to be repaired.

The way 3/4 of the field of view is distorted in this pic led me to say it's a lens, but I agree it's towards the front of the optic since the reticle looked ok when it's at full mag.

1696020316611.png

The way 3/4 of the field of view is distorted in this pic led me to say it's a lens, but I agree it's towards the front of the optic since the reticle looked ok when it's at full mag.

View attachment 8238208
I definitely see what you are saying, but I think that may be because of what the scope is looking at. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's definitely on the objective side and if he was able to still see a target and on top of that still able to shoot 2" groups wouldn't that suggest that it's not a lens? I would think a loose lens in the objective system would make it nearly impossible to hold groups, let alone still be able to focus the image well enough to see the target.

Again, either way it needs to be fixed. I'm just trying to learn and I've been watching you post for years. Thank you for conversing.

So I read the first post as the gun was generally shooting worse than 2 MOA but without seeing the groups it'd be tough to gleen anything from that information alone. A broken optic can manifest itself in a lot of ways. It could also possibly be a loose lock ring from one of the lens elements. Beyond, yep that's normal or nope that's broken replies that's why it's tough to diagnose issues without very specific information and good photos.

Reactions: CS95
It's a vortex! Use that warranty!

I love having a great warranty so I can send the scopes in every 6 months for a checkup!

Reactions: Ronin22
It's a vortex! Use that warranty!

I love having a great warranty so I can send the scopes in every 6 months for a checkup!
It's one thing to offer a warranty on a product due to well built design and construction. It is entirely a different business model to depend on the warranty.

Does it matter what it is besides curiosity?

Send it back to Vortex and they’ll fix or replace it.