• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is my thinking faulty?

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I have been thinking all day about my newest rifle. A while back I traded for a PSS .308 and ended up trading it away for a really nice Kimber Warrior.
Recently I got an SPS Varmint also in .308. I have been having trouble getting excited about it. I like the idea of a precision rifle, but I don't sjhoot sniper/tactical matches, at least not yet. I shoot informally most of the time- I do shoot vintage rifle matches, Garand matches and pistol matches.
I collect a lot of milsurp rifles. I have 3 Swiss and 2 swede rifles among others.
I think one thing keeping me from really getting into this SPS is the need to load for another caliber. It would be different if I shot some tactical matches.
What I have been thinking is replacing the .308 with a 6.5x55, or a 6.5-.284, or other caliber based on the 6.5mm bullet. I really like that caliber. I load for that caliber now. My loads are mild due to the old actions in the rifles I shoot. I have wanted to load some "full power" loads for a rifle with a modern action.
As I see it my choices are to either trade the SPS for another rifle in the other caliber or re-barrel the SPS. This SPS has not had many rounds through it so the .308 barrel is still very good.
I don't know if even the 6.5x55 would fit in a Remington short action so a new barrel may not be an option. I may have to either trade or sell the Remington and buy another rifle.

Anyone see any other options? I am not stuck on the 6.5 but I am more interested in it than the .308. I really don't want to build up a rifle that I will lose all interest in after spending a lot of time and money on it.

Jim

Re: Is my thinking faulty?

You'll have a hard time fitting the 6.5x55 into the Remington short action. It *may* be possible with light bullets seated deep into the case...but thats best case scenario.

Keep in mind that in a Remington BDL magazine, OAL is restricted to approx 2.830" or so (maybe a couple thousandths more, but that number is a fairly safe one).

Just swap the barrel. 260 has very similar ballistics to 6.5 swede. I would not consider the creedmoor for a bolt-action.

Thanks. I may shoot it as is for a while. I wanted to be sure whether it made better sense to trade it off than put money into it at this point.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just swap the barrel. 260 has very similar ballistics to 6.5 swede. I would not consider the creedmoor for a bolt-action. </div></div>

Why no Creedmore 6.5 in a bolt gun?
BTW - I'm not taking sides in a .260 vrs 6.5 Cre debate, I'm just curious as to why.

Doesn't offer much over 260 and is unconventional. But that's just me, I like sticking with what is known/proven/easy to get.

In an AR it would be cool, but I'd still take 260 over it for the same reasons.

Understood.
That's exactly why I'm having George build my Templar in the good ole .308 caliber.
wink.gif

If it would get you shooting it more- sell the .308, pick up a cherp Rem .270 or .30-06, and rebarrel to 6.5x55. You're already loading for it, and at long range it will stomp a .308.

Oh, and go to Tac Pro! I wish I lived that close.

I just built several rifles in 6.5 calibers. After shooting 308's for 20yrs, I will never go back to them. The 260 rem, Creedmore and 6.5x47 Lapua are far superior to the 308 ballistic wise. The big thing about the 308 is the wide range of different bullets and its availability.

6.5 Grendel (6.5x38mm) AR platform 1000 yard accurcy they clame never shot one. High velocity of 2568, 123gr Black Hills Sierra MatchKing, 18.5 barrel, accuracy 0.57 inches for 2, 5 shot groups 100 yds