• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is NRL going away?

Nicholas Baio

Private
Minuteman
May 14, 2022
Texas
I’m new to the NRL scene. Getting into the NRL .22 scene and maybe even getting into PRS shooting as a whole. Is NRL going away? If so, where can I find matches in the Dallas Fort Worth Area? Specifically for .22 matches

afaik nrl doesn't have matches in may due to nationals. or is this something else, eg out of context?
Well, I know they just had nationals, but in a video on their channel of the season recap, they said it was the “last NRL championship ever” and the championship was called “the last dance.” So I am confused if this is going away or not.

Well, I know they just had nationals, but in a video on their channel of the season recap, they said it was the “last NRL championship ever” and the championship was called “the last dance.” So I am confused if this is going away or not.

NRL stopped their centerfire precision rifle matches and switched over to the NRL Hunter Series matches. Format is different, rifle weight class, blind stages, find target, range target, engage target. Do a search you can read all about it. I just shot one, and it was a really good time. Way less ammo shot per stage which equals less time at the reloading bench. I am going to focus my energy here in the future.

NRL22 is still going too.

NRL stopped their centerfire precision rifle matches and switched over to the NRL Hunter Series matches. Format is different, rifle weight class, blind stages, find target, range target, engage target. Do a search you can read all about it. I just shot one, and it was a really good time. Way less ammo shot per stage which equals less time at the reloading bench. I am going to focus my energy here in the future.

NRL22 is still going too.
Good to know on 22! Any reason why they switched over to the hunter format?

I wish they had an nrl hunter 22 series too! Would make for good cheap practice

Reactions: DLS
My .002 - their centerfire series just couldn’t compete with the growth and popularity of the PRS.

A very smart move to restructure and offer something different so they wouldn’t die.

Their 22 series as said is going strong.

I told my shooting buddy years ago PRS style 22 matches are the futures. It has all wins and no loses - cost of gear is lower, cost to shoot is lower, Match fees are less, and shooting venues are many more.

My .002 - their centerfire series just couldn’t compete with the growth and popularity of the PRS.

A very smart move to restructure and offer something different so they wouldn’t die.

Their 22 series as said is going strong.

I told my shooting buddy years ago PRS style 22 matches are the futures. It has all wins and no loses - cost of gear is lower, cost to shoot is lower, Match fees are less, and shooting venues are many more.
Cost of gear is lower? They run all the same gear as center fire with $1800 barreled actions lol

@akmike47 well... for the most part. A person can be competitive in the 22 game with a factory setup, or mostly factory.

For the average shooter running a stock Bergara, Tikka, or Ruger in 6.5 they are going to have a harder time hanging with the folks running a custom 6br, Dashers, etc. for a comparison.

I feel the "hang-with" gap (purely anecdotal) is wider in the centerfire world between factory and custom (true factory - not the contrived BS called "production" category) This is only from what I have seen on my experience only though.

Reactions: reich10
Cost of gear is lower? They run all the same gear as center fire with $1800 barreled actions lol
My Vudoo is roughly the same cost of as my Dasher etc. That said I can shoot a lot of 22LR than I can Dasher or anything else for the money. It is solid practice. Some think it is super easy and its not.

Reactions: rookie7
@akmike47 well... for the most part. A person can be competitive in the 22 game with a factory setup, or mostly factory.

For the average shooter running a stock Bergara, Tikka, or Ruger in 6.5 they are going to have a harder time hanging with the folks running a custom 6br, Dashers, etc. for a comparison.

I feel the "hang-with" gap (purely anecdotal) is wider in the centerfire world between factory and custom (true factory - not the contrived BS called "production" category) This is only from what I have seen on my experience only though.
For base class absolutely a T1X can be a winning rifle. That said in open class it is hard to beat V22, RimX and B14Rs. They shine. Can it be done with Annies and modded T1Xs and CZs yes. But the R700 patter actions seem to be much more consistent.

Reactions: rookie7
I plan on running my T1X in open class because I can’t afford a Vudoo yet. Im going to get an XRS chassis and slap it in there. My plan is to run that till I can justify the purchase of a Vudoo and hopefully get my fiancé into shooting more.

My son was going to shoot 22lr comps north of Fort Worth but it's gone this year.

The ammo you can't find, the gas you can't afford ?

I saw pickle ball was picking up but not my thing. There were televised national finales for corn hole a couple days ago and if they get booze sponsors I'm in.

Last edited:
My son was going to shoot 22lr comps north of Fort Worth but it's gone this year.

The ammo you can't find, the gas you can't afford ?

I saw pickle ball was picking up but not my thing. There were televised national finales for corn hole a couple days ago and if they get booze sponsors I'm in.
Scheels for all your ammo needs. They have pretty much everything I need.

Reactions: Snuby642
We have ammo and that range was not a long drive from his house.

I guess participation was lacking.

We had ccc ranch for rifles and that deal died as well.