• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is over bore that important at 1000 yards and under?

Rougarou504

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2022
Louisiana
Hi all,

I am thinking about buying a NX8 F1 4-32 to put into my Daniel Defense V7 PRO with an 18" Barrel, I know it's overkill for the shooting range of the 5.56, but I'm sure 1000 yards is possible. As this is something I bought to be my everything rifle, maybe some competitions down the road too, I kind of want the mount rings to be 1.75 height to accommodate for NV or masks, also just to be able to use it more readily from the shoulder. I am new to long range shooting, will it sitting that high over bore make it difficult to make shots at a thousand yards and under? That is the range I want to be able to operate effectively within, so should I just go with flat over bore rings or will I be ok with the 1.75" or 1.95 even? Will the differences in long range shooting be drastic?

Thanks for reading my question.

If anyone ever reads this, feel free to give recommendations on buttstocks as well, I think I will need something to bring my cheek weld higher? I don't want something too bulky and heavy as it's meant to be a SPR/DMR rifle, I was considering the Magpul PSR Lite or the FAB defence RAPS or the FAB GL Core with added check riser, I will leave a link to it since it's a two part purchase. I am looking at things along those lines if that helps, the majority of precision stocks I've seen are way too heavy and awkward for the purpose of this rifle. It's seems the main drawback of the FAB two piece is the charging handle is blocked if it's not extended, but isn't that the case with all of them? Wouldn't the riser always block the charging handle if it's deployed? Sorry if these are noob questions, this is my first rifle.

This is the two piece one I was referring to.

Your inside of 100 y/m will be different but anything past is just find data and shoot. So as long as you have an adjustable comb you will be fine. Just make shure you dont have a flat base.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rougarou504
Your inside of 100 y/m will be different but anything past is just find data and shoot. So as long as you have an adjustable comb you will be fine. Just make shure you dont have a flat base.
Thanks, inside of 100 I was planning on using an rmr2 up to about 50 yards and scope after, the scope bottoms out at 3x, so from about 50-100 yrds I would need to aim a mil or two low, but afterwards the ring height won't matter? Thanks for helping me out with this, I have the rifle now and after shouldering it I can certainly say my neck will thank me for some high rings. About how high do you think is good? I was thinking 1.7s

Sorry but what's a comb? When you say flat base, do you mean I should have one of those 20 moa or whatever mounts? Sorry, I am new to all of this.

Comb is cheak rest/ riser
Base is what you attach the rings and scope too, usually a picatinny rail.
A 20moa base and or one peice mount is ideal.

Comb is cheak rest/ riser
Base is what you attach the rings and scope too, usually a picatinny rail.
A 20moa base and or one peice mount is ideal.
You are killing it tonight, thanks for all of your help, I'd never heard it called a comb before. So I do have a picatinnay rail on top, it looks pretty flat to me, I will drop a couple pics of a V7 pro so you can see for yourself. I will link you the mount I want, there is a section called "can't" I assume is the MOA +20 but when I select the 30mm tube option the "can't" option reverts to none, so I guess the 30mm tube one doesn't come with a +MOA mount option, is it that important? I can only shoot out to what 5.56 will let me, do I need it that bad? I really, really don't want to use ring spacers at all. Here is the link to the base I want. Oh the scope is a NX8 F1 4-32 30mm tube and 50"mm objective lens 28.6 oz 13.4" long with a 5.7" mounting length just fyi

Attachments

• th (6).jpg
    th (6).jpg
    6 KB · Views: 32
  • th (7).jpg
    th (7).jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 35
  • NX8_4-32_C666-C667_DE_R-Slight-Angle (1).png
    NX8_4-32_C666-C667_DE_R-Slight-Angle (1).png
    124.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
It shouldnt be that big of a problem if your only using 5.56. Just know you are using a lot of your elevation just to zero at 100.
Personaly i prefer 20 moa cant on my 223/5.56 but you do you.

I didnt realize or i missed that it was going on an AR.my bad comb doesnt apply to AR's but the riser still might help

It shouldnt be that big of a problem if your only using 5.56. Just know you are using a lot of your elevation just to zero at 100.
Personaly i prefer 20 moa cant on my 223/5.56 but you do you.

I didnt realize or i missed that it was going on an AR.my bad comb doesnt apply to AR's but the riser still might help
No problem man you have been a big help, thanks. Now I just gotta find a buttstock with a check riser that doesn't weight as much as the rifle 🤣

Reactions: Boon20