• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is PMC .223 brass worth reloading??

Truck10

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 29, 2010
Bucks Co, Pa
It does'nt look like any of the brass on Midways site besides Lapua got great reviews, and i don't really want to spend alot of money on my first batch of 223 brass. Was just wanting your opinion on the PMC, my father has some once fired brass on hand. Thanks

Re: Is PMC .223 brass worth reloading??

I dont use it for match use, but for plinking, maybe some reduced course matches, it works just fine. Tends to wear out a bit faster than say LC, but there is nothing really wrong with it, just dont hot rod it as the webs tend to be a bit thinner than other brass brands.

I picked up about 75 once fired cases from a local range awhile back and have been using them for my varmint load with 50 v-max's. I've loaded them 3 times now and still going strong. I weighed the cases out of curiosity and they are about the same consistency as the lc brass I have. For me they shoot just as well as the Win or Lc brass I use for other loads. Its just easier for me to keep track of what brass is used for what load this way. I don't weight sort them or neck turn or anything, just trim, chamfer and load. And the load typically groups around .5 moa out of a factory savage barrel, cant complain about that.

I've loaded it for 100 yard reduced high power. I've seen no difference between it and Winchester (WCC Military once fired) accuracy wise.

I did notice it had some burrs on the flash holes while decrimping primer pockets so they may not be drilled holes. The PMC that I have is pick up brass. I loaded 160 some rounds, I've never bought PMC so it's from several different lots and ranges.

I picked some up at the range. Flash holes were off-center. Reloaded about 3 times more for plinking and then discarded. No issues even with stiff loads.

--Rootshot

I have loaded and shot a ton of 223 in PMC. I mainly use it due to having 2 tons of it. Not really, but I do have a bunch. I have never seen on target the difference with my 16" CQB gun. I do use Winchester for my 18" SPR. Run what you got! JPG

lot of it is crimp, which is a pain if you do not have a swagger

ALL of it I've seen was crimped.

It's also terrible, terrible junk. Send it to me for proper disposal. Send to much to the landfill, my friend, and the EPA might come knocking on your door with tough questions about being a toxic waste "producer". RCRA laws and Congressional wisdom, lead residues from primers and all that, you know.

Would love to help you out!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It's also terrible, terrible junk. Send it to me for proper disposal. Send to much to the landfill, my friend, and the EPA might come knocking on your door with tough questions about being a toxic waste "producer". RCRA laws and Congressional wisdom, lead residues from primers and all that, you know.

Would love to help you out!!! </div></div>

Careful sir,

I an EPA licensed PMC brass disposal proffesional, I feel I should warn you of the potential fines and penalties associated with unlicensed disposal.

After spending thousands of dollars to obtain my status as a licensee, I think it is time I give back to the SH community and dispose of that brass free of charge.

Yup! I have reloaded many PMC brass without problems. It's just a pain in the butt because of the primer crimp.

Yep, the Dillon 600 swagger is worth it's weight in Gold when having to deal with PMC, LC, and PSP.

Have seen both crimped and noncrimped PMC brass here.

I use PMC brass -- at least for practice loads.

I'll use it on the second firing for match ammo. After that it's relegated to practice loads. Why? I run somewhat hot 77 gr. loads and I've had numerous case separations with PMC.
Crimps? The re-loaded PMC I've used is from their Bronze line. No crimps there that I remember but I load on a Super1050 that has a de-crimp station in any event.
I have had far fewer case separations with Win or Rem or Lapua brass. Still, PMC for my use is fine as long as I don't run into the problem when time counts (while a match clock is running).